Main Menu

Dirt ride over Sierras to Hwy 20 via Henness Pass Rd

Started by RichVee4, April 12, 2015, 07:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slmoto

Looks like we could get a little more rain tomorrow too, that'd be nice.

All sounds good to me, everything seems to be covered for the most part.

Looking forward to it, should be fun.

GreenMachine

Rich,

I'm in already.  My name isn't Mayweather.

BTW, I have three 5 gallon gas containers, if having larger ones makes it easier.  One is the ATV/MX vertical type.  The other two are the standard red. 

The lower temps should work to our advantage, being on dirt bikes.

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RichVee4

Great, glad you can make it.   Your going to feel like Pacquiao after this ride!

If you have a 5 gal that seals well so there's NO fumes in the car for the drive, bring it by my house at 8:30.   You can bring 4 gal for you and SL.  I purposely don't want to fill the tanks to minimize splashing around the neck so less likely to leak.   If not sure I will use mine.  I've put mine in the car a few time and dosent let out fumes.  

Saturday is shaping up to be mostly clear and cool.  Perfect!

Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

I've transported them in the back of my SUV before when we went on camping trips.  I don't know how you can avoid expansion fumes.  I'll bring my 5g red one with 4g in it.  All ends seal as well as you can hope, but I'd still recommend if they're put in the passenger cab of a vehicle, to run fresh air in on the fan and/or open/crack a window.

For the sandwich, I'll have whatever it is that comes in chicken or turkey with all the toppings, with standard cheese if included. 
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RichVee4

The tank I have pressurizes so I know it seals well even under expansive pressure.  Bring yours by in the morning and we can decide.  I have to live with the support crew so don't want them to have to smell fumes on the drive there. 

RichVee4

Possible return option.  This route adds 7 mi and would take us by Meadow Lake but more important avoids the paved section of Jackson meadows rd.  We can discuss at lunch.  GM's range will be the shortest so will need to see his fuel usage on the ride there.

https://www.google.com/maphp?mid=1431092929

slmoto

Quote from: RichVee4 on May 08, 2015, 07:00:23 AM
Possible return option.  This route adds 7 mi and would take us by Meadow Lake but more important avoids the paved section of Jackson meadows rd.  We can discuss at lunch.  GM's range will be the shortest so will need to see his fuel usage on the ride there.

https://www.google.com/maphp?mid=1431092929

I'd we can swing it, fuel wise, I'd prefer the least amount of pavement possible. I don't believe any of us, except for dub, are street legal so I'm all for reducing our chances of getting stopped on the street.

RichVee4

It looks like a perfect day to play in the dirt!  See everyone at 9 or earlier if were meeting at my house.

dub

Well that was fun while it lasted.

I wasn't sure what to expect with that plug kit since it was my first time using it. Confidence was about 50/50. After it failed confidence tanked to near 0.

I didn't have to even ride all the way back to the intersection before turning towards the road. There was a trail that cut off and went up the hill to the road, so I took that. I limped down the road at about 30 mph, then stopped at the intersection where I would have ended up had I not taken the cut off. The plug was ok at that point. I ate some food and let the compressor cool down, then inflated back up to ~42 psi. I was a little more brave and rode at about 45 mph to the intersection of hwy 89. The plug still looked fine and the pressure was the same, so I rode down 89 to Truckee at the speed limit. In Truckee the plug still looked fine and the pressure was the same, so I decided to head for home instead of Reno to repair/replace the tire. I stopped once more at the scenic pullout on hwy 28 and checked the pressure. Same. Then I just cruised all the way home. Pressure was the same when I arrived. The plug still has the same amount of stem sticking out. I now have complete confidence in that plug.

My unanswered burning question is why the first plug failed so quickly? Was it improper installation or was it due to the off road conditions?

I'm going to check the pressure after it sits overnight, if it's still holding steady I'll probably just keep commuting on that tire until I put on a new set before our coast trip.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

RichVee4

That was an ADVENTURE, 125 miles of back country riding across the sierras.  Had a lot of fun riding with everyone and fun exploring some beautiful new areas.   Great group and glad everyone made it home safe.  On one spirited section of goat road I even managed to drag my elbow... and shoulder.  knobbies have much less grip on pavement.

Dub, bummer about the flat. In hind sight the location was surprising good that it happened so close to the paved road so you could ride out.  The dirt road past Jackson Meadows to Bowman was much rougher with lots of large loose rocks.  Doubt the patch would have held, would have even been hard on the tiger.  

RichVee4

GreenMachine

Nice pics Rich!

Lunch was awesome, topped of with suds.  Yu-mmy!

GreenMachine

Dub, you made the best of it.  I'd be happy with those results.  I think it was a blessing in disguise given what was past Jackson's Meadows.

slmoto

Nice pics Rich, I especially like the one with the lake with cloud reflection.

Thanks again for putting this together it was a great time.

Quote from: dub on May 09, 2015, 03:43:23 PM
My unanswered burning question is why the first plug failed so quickly? Was it improper installation or was it due to the off road conditions?

I'm thinking it didn't set right. Maybe take it off road again with the plug that seems to be holding and see if it shakes loose again, that might answer the question if it was installation or rough roads.

GreenMachine

And when it fails?  I mean, if it fails?  :evil1  Stuck again.

I'm bringing the tire repair kit today.  :ohno