Main Menu

Dirt ride over Sierras to Hwy 20 via Henness Pass Rd

Started by RichVee4, April 12, 2015, 07:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slmoto

True.

I'm probably over nervous about it, the only experience I have riding a street bike was riding the r6 on a short fire road up and down a slight incline. It felt really loose and although I didn't fall I was nervous as hell but that could also have a lot to do with I had only just started riding about a month prior to that and I had never been on the dirt before at that time.

I'll see what happens, I still have some hope left in the dirt bike which I'd much prefer for this ride.

RichVee4

Glad to hear the issue wasn't serious and its up and running.  Any idea why it over heated?  Radiator clogged with dirt?   

I've ridden some of these roads and yes you "could" take a street bike but wouldn't recommend it.  Sections of the road are moderately rough and rocky.
Live long and prosper \V/

slmoto

Quote from: RichVee4 on April 20, 2015, 06:01:10 PM
Glad to hear the issue wasn't serious and its up and running.  Any idea why it over heated?  Radiator clogged with dirt?   

I've ridden some of these roads and yes you "could" take a street bike but wouldn't recommend it.  Sections of the road are moderately rough and rocky.

I think I left it running too long before I took off. I was concerned about getting it started so I left it running while I got my gear on. Other than that I'm not sure. I need to get a new hose so I can spray it down but visually the radiators do not seem to be clogged.

RichVee4

Went on a little scouting ride today with SL.  Rode from Verdi to the 89 junction, crossed 89 and found where Henness continues toward Jackson Meadows.    Rode 44 miles total (2hrs with quite a few stops) had to do some searching for Henness after crossing 89, probably wasted .5hr.    The Hwy crossing is straight forward but the old Henness bridge is out so after crossing 89 you have to ride on Jackson Meadows road for about 1 mile then you can get back to the dirt road via a new bridge. 

We made good time and most roads can be covered at a quick pace.  Gets pretty bumpy and rocky in places so have to watch for that to adjust pace.   

I will ride at a little slower pace on our ride to help reduce vibration on the hands.  We hit some T storms so hands were wet and cold so that didn't help.   This will be an endurance ride and we will certainly be worn out when we get back.   

RichVee4

If anyone wants to order a map for themselves of the area we will be riding, this is a good quality map that covers the entire route. 

I imagine we will spread out some to minimize eating dust but I plan to stop at major intersections to make sure everyone stays on the right road. 

http://www.amazon.com/National-Forest-Sierra-Geographic-Illustrated/dp/1566953812/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430342096&sr=8-1&keywords=national+geographic+map+805

GreenMachine

Rich,

I might be game for this ride.  Assuming I don't re-injure myself before then, I leaning favorably towards joining you folks.  That's if there's room.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RichVee4

Absolutely,  I sensed some interest there.   This will be a good trip to get a feel for the roads between Verdi and Jackson Meadows.  Once we are comfortable with that we can explore different areas including, Dville, Nevada City in future trips.

I picked this route since I have been to the lunch location, beautiful spot on the river, and its is easy access off hwy 20 so Monica can meet us.     

You need to think about range, everyone else has larger tanks.   I could go 100+ on my 250 with stock tank so 60 miles you may be ok.  SL got 34mpg on our last ride and we were not riding conservatively.   If you lay on your tank you should be able to beat that :) 

We will finalize details next week and figure out how much gas we need.  I have a 5 gal and 2 gal tank I will plan to bring.

slmoto

Quote from: RichVee4 on April 30, 2015, 08:06:55 PM
If you lay on your tank you should be able to beat that :) 

Haha, I look forward to seeing that on a dirt bike. :rotflmao

Seen you do it on the street plenty, even picked up my own version of it from you but would be hilarious to see you doing it on your dirt bike.

RichVee4

Just to confirm date and time.   Sat 5/9, 9:00 am.

Meeting at the parking area where the dirt road starts in Verdi.  If unsure location we can meet at my house at 8:30.  I am 5 min off 80 on your way to Verdi.  PM me for address.  If you want to drop anything off that can be taken by car you can do that to.

Weather appears to be unsettled this week with slight improvement by Sat.  Keep an eye on forecast, temps will CHILLY in the morning so dress accordingly, overnight temps in low 30's at high elevation.   Better to have more layers and can shed some at lunch if to warm.  

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-120.49343&lat=39.50110

I will finalize fuel needs and lunch shortly.

slmoto

Rich, I'll be at your place at 8:30am, maybe a few minutes before, so we can get your bike and gear loaded in my truck.

dub

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

RichVee4

Menu for Jimmy John's.  If you would like a sandwich let me know the # and what freebies you want.  Cost is $5-6.  I will also have chips and jug of water.   Maybe if I bring a few light beers GM will commit.  After 60 miles a beer might be a nice treat, will plan to throw a couple in the cooler.

Looks like we have confirmed
dub
SL
Craig (is waiting on his ohv decal to arrive)

slmoto

I'll have a #1 add mustard and sprouts, thanks.

I have a six pack of Coors lights left from my dirt ride last Sunday that i can bring for anyone who cares for some.

If his sticker doesn't arrive in time he might be able to call and have them fax or email a copy of the receipt to carry, that's what i did when i first got my bike and had a ride planned before my sticker arrived.

RichVee4

Quote from: slmoto on May 06, 2015, 07:39:10 AM
I'll have a #1 add mustard and sprouts, thanks.

Got it, Thanks.  

RE Beer - bring it.  We can trade beer for gas!

Craig received his ohv decal and is planning to bring a 5 gal fuel tank and I will bring mine.   We will fill each w/4 gal so total 8 gal, that should be more than enough.   Figuring SL's 34mpg for both SL and Craig (both 450's) will use approx 2 gal each way.  I think I could do round trip but will plan to add 1 gal just in case.  That totals 5 gal which give us 3 extra in case GM comes or dub need a little.  

Rain today will play in our favor and help with the dust.

Think of anything else?

Looking forward to Sat!