Main Menu

Dirt ride over Sierras to Hwy 20 via Henness Pass Rd

Started by RichVee4, April 12, 2015, 07:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichVee4

I have been wanting to do this ride for some time and need to get it on the calendar to make it happen.

Looking at possible dates of May 9th or 16th.  We could encounter some snow but hoping by May it will be minimal, if any.

Ride will start at Verdi and head toward Stampede then cross 89 and parallel Jackson Meadows road.   Continue heading West toward Bowman lake and drop down toward Hwy 20.  Lunch will be at Emerald pools, very nice area down river from Spalding Lake.   This will be mostly dirt road that follows Henness Pass emigrant trail.  Some sections will be pavement, crossing 89 and part of the road to Jackson Meadows.  

I have only been on sections of this, not the proposed route.  Distance approx. 120 miles round trip so range could be an issue without a larger tank or spare fuel.   Map give you an idea of route, we will not follow all the way to Nevada City.

If you want to go let me know what date you are available.  This will be an awesome ride.
Live long and prosper \V/

RichVee4

A little more history.  This was a key route from Marysville to VC in the mid 1800's to support the mining effort.

http://www.sierracollege.edu/ejournals/jsnhb/v2n2/trails-Henness.html

GreenMachine

Looks like it would be really fun.  Wondering if it would be smarter to stage from Henness Pass rd & hwy 89.  Not sure if I should risk a dirt ride this early as well.  But I really like the idea.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

slmoto

I'm down to go in May, I'm busy the first weekend of May other than that either of  the dates you mentioned will work for me.

I like the idea of starting in Verdi vs 89, I'd rather ride the dirt than drive 80.

Is the street riding just crossing roads? My bike is not street legal and with my exhaust being on the louder side I get nervous trying to sneak around on the streets with it. I don't mind crossing roads, if I'm not mistaken it's legal to cross streets at a 90°.

I've got a desert tank but I'll have to try and go easier than normal on the throttle to stretch the mileage. :(

RichVee4

I'm familiar with where the dirt road intercepts 89 and where Jackson Meadows road starts, that's about 1/8 mile of pavement we might have to ride on worst case.  Looking at satellite views the dirt road crosses 89 so likely be just crossing the road.    Jackson Meadows road is paved but we will be on Henness pass rd, dirt, that parallels for awhile.   At some point toward Jackson Meadows the dirt road and paved road meet and we will be on the pavement for a few miles.  I've been on this road quite a few times only have only seen campers and fishermen going to the lake.  After Jackson Meadows its all dirt roads.

dub

I'm into this. I'm currently free both days. With the year we have had I can't imagine there is much snow up there. There is barely any left on the ski hills where they maintain it.

You guys know this is a dual sport route right? Henness Pass Rd is just basically just a Forest Service Rd. It's passable by 2 wheel drive car. Most people do it on medium to large dual sport bikes. Off-road terrain is described as "mild to moderate". Basically, you will be bored to tears on your small trail bikes; there is nothing technical. Not to mention, I'm not clear on how you plan on doing 120 miles (not including wrong turns), even with a large dirt bike fuel tank.
I would be doing this ride on my Tiger.
Here's a youtube video and an advrider thread showing the road.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nkrWGFSu7E
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630994
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

slmoto

I was aware of the possible boredom of the trail/road, I was hoping there would be some scenery to make up for it.

There is no way I can make 120mi with my bike, even with the desert tank one way would be questionable. I'm looking into possibly getting a Rotopax pack just as back up to get me one way because even 60mi could be a stretch for me, especially if we did take some wrong turns. I don't mind getting one as the next bike I get will be a dual sport and could be useful later. I was also trying to see if there was a dirt route to the Shell station that is just south of Emerald Pools but haven't been able to look too far into it yet, didn't see anything at quick glance.

Rich had also mentioned (outside the forum post) seeing about his wife meeting us out there with fuel. Is that still something you were considering Rich or do you have any tricks up your sleeve to do 120mi?

RichVee4

Awesome, lets pencil in the 9th at 9am.  I have one other guy that may want to go also.   The dirt roads leaving Verdi are representative of the rest of the trip, fire roads.  SL has been on those.  As dub said, a lot of people do this route on Adv bikes.  I've talked to some of the KTM guys at PJ's and they ride to Nevada City via this route and then on to Auburn to watch the dirt races at the fair grounds.   For me, an Enduro type of trip is exactly what I am interested in.   I enjoy the adventure and scenery more than technical challenges.  Boredom, it all depends what your expectation is, not even on my radar.

As far as range I've done 100 miles on my current 2 gal tank, using reserve,  so with my 3 gal tank 120 miles is not a problem.  But its definitely a good idea to have a little extra range just in case.   

If range is an issue for whoever wants to go an option I had thought of would be to have the wifey meet us at Jackson Meadows  junction on the return trip for a refuel stop.  That is still an option.

There is no gas near the destination, only possibility would be the general store at Jackson Meadows and I think that is a long shot.

Thanks for the videos I will check those out. 

RichVee4

Video is from Stampede to 89, unfortunately doesn't cross 89 and continue west.   SL, I am thinking if your range is <100 we may want to have the refuel stop where we stop for lunch.  That may ease your and others peoples mind that are on the fence about going.    That also would save our lunches from getting all smashed on the ride there if we had Monica bring those with her.

dub

Right, I didn't mean the ride would be boring; the ride will be excellent. I just meant that the capabilities of your dirt bikes wont be necessary. I haven't ridden Henness Pass before, but from what I know you could probably do it on your street bikes. It's not a 'dirt ride' how I think of the term 'dirt ride' (ie single track).

RichVee4

For those of us without plates we will need a CA OHV decal.   Don't believe the NV decal counts in CA.   They are $30 and can be purchased at many local shops.  There are many riding opportunities out of Verdi so easy to use more than once.   

I've been told one option on this route leads to D'ville.  Not as familiar with that route but would be fun to explore sometime, plus I think they have gas station. 

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=25669

slmoto

Quote from: RichVee4 on April 14, 2015, 06:43:31 AM
For those of us without plates we will need a CA OHV decal.   Don't believe the NV decal counts in CA.   They are $30 and can be purchased at many local shops.  There are many riding opportunities out of Verdi so easy to use more than once.   

I've been told one option on this route leads to D'ville.  Not as familiar with that route but would be fun to explore sometime, plus I think they have gas station. 

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=25669

I believe if your bike is registered in NV it is okay.

From CA OHV FAQ
"I will be traveling to California from another state to ride my OHV. Do I need California OHV registration (Green or Red Sticker)?
If you are a resident of another state and your OHV has valid registration from that state, you do not need a Green or Red Sticker or a California Nonresident OHV Use Permit. If your OHV does not have valid registration or the equivalent from your home state, you will need to get a California Nonresident OHV Use Permit. A title is not registration. For states bordering California, the Oregon OHV Permit, the Nevada OHV Registration Decal, and the Arizona OHV Decal meet the requirement for OHV registration by residents of those states. "

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=26294#visitor

RichVee4

When they refer to "valid registration" they mean license plate, as in duel sport bike/ Adv bike or jeep etc.   Just not sure if the NV OHV sticker counts, not likely, but will ask.     

dub

Quote from: RichVee4 on April 14, 2015, 07:08:21 AM
When they refer to "valid registration" they mean license plate, as in duel sport bike/ Adv bike or jeep etc.   Just not sure if the NV OHV sticker counts, not likely, but will ask.     

It's reciprocal. It literally says it right there in the quote Scott posted.

Quote from: slmoto on April 14, 2015, 06:48:52 AM"I will be traveling to California from another state to ride my OHV. Do I need California OHV registration (Green or Red Sticker)?
If you are a resident of another state and your OHV has valid registration from that state, you do not need a Green or Red Sticker or a California Nonresident OHV Use Permit. If your OHV does not have valid registration or the equivalent from your home state, you will need to get a California Nonresident OHV Use Permit. A title is not registration. For states bordering California, the Oregon OHV Permit, the Nevada OHV Registration Decal, and the Arizona OHV Decal meet the requirement for OHV registration by residents of those states. "

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=26294#visitor

RichVee4

No updates on the OHV decal topic, my interpretation is that the NV OHV decal is not a "registration".  The reference to registration is a plate with a sticker.     Clarification needed.

Hope this map works, shows route and distance.  We will meet at the starting point in Verdi at 9am sharp.  There is a small parking lot where the pavement ends and dirt road starts.  

If anyone would like a Jimmy Johns sandwich let me know specifics and Monica will bring when we meet for lunch.  
Bring water of course.

People so far
Me
SL
Deb
Craig - friend of mine.

https://www.google.com/maphp?mid=1429066668