Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

T-Hill April-24-25 ?

Started by KKM, March 07, 2015, 05:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KKM

Who's planning on T-Hill April 24-25. This will be a great way to start the season.
Kevin
2009 Aprilia RSV1000R
2012 KTM990R ADV
2013 KTM 500XCW

GreenMachine

:Iagree

Not only a great way to start the riding season, getting track experience under your belt, but also for the time of year.  T-hill at this time of year is ideal.  Not too cold and not too hot.  You can ride all sessions without heat stroke.  And the early season trackdays don't seem to attract as many riders as the summer ones do, i.e. you'll have more track space to yourself.

Good call KKM.  Highly recommended.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RichVee4

Its on my calendar so planning to be there, class C.  Looking forward to it after doing T3 last year.   I am upgrading my suspension on the VFR so the parts should be here and installed by then.
Live long and prosper \V/

dub

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

andyhelfen

Quote from: RichVee4 on March 07, 2015, 06:03:40 PM
Its on my calendar so planning to be there, class C.  Looking forward to it after doing T3 last year.   I am upgrading my suspension on the VFR so the parts should be here and installed by then.

Hi Rich, I'm thinking of doing my first track day this spring/summer.  I want to do Thunderhill but not sure if want the tighter West 2 miler or the East more sweepers 3 miler.  I was thinking maybe trying the T3 on May 25th where ride the whole 5 miler track?  Or do you think I should just go ahead and do a full Class C as my first track day.  Precision seems to do the 2 miler and Zoom Zoom the 3 miler.  I here good things about both of them.

More about me. I'm 44 about 10 years and 25K miles riding experience but not edge of my seat rider. I have a 2006 Ducati Supersport that makes maybe 80 hp which is fair representation of me as a rider :)

Any advice is appreciated.
2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 RR

RichVee4

I wouldn't worry to much about what section of track for your first outing.  The learning curve is steep at the beginning so a shorter length has some advantages in only having to learn a small section of the track, in my opinion.   The 5 mile is a long track to learn.  I'm actually looking forward to the small track so I will be able to focus on technique in a couple corners at a time.

I thought the T3 was beneficial and a good way to get acclimated to the track routine.   An option you have is to start with the T3 and later in the day jump to class C, at least that is what someone did in our class.  Likely have to pay some additional $, don't know the specifics.  That would be the best of both worlds for the first outing.  I was with my wife and son so was temped to jump into a C class session in the afternoon but wanted to stay with the group.  

The T3 is fairly basic, class discussion and some parking lot drills but I learned a lot of useful information.  C Class does include some class time and training so certainly an option.  There are many riders on this forum that started in C class so could answer your questions as well.

Hope to see you down there.
Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

Years ago there wasn't the T3 option and if you didn't have the required gear and your bike wasn't ready for the track (leaking oil, worn tires, out of maintenance, etc..., for example), T3 would be a way to satisfy and learn that much more.  So the old way was to buy the gear and get the bike streetworthy so it's not a hazard to others and just go for it. 

All trackdays begin with a mandatory riders meeting, explaining the rules in an open two-way Q&A format.  There are no stupid questions, so having never been on a track where people can go as fast as their machines and their fears let them, is a good format for safety reasons.  Better to get everybody on the same mindset beforehand, understanding what you can and cannot or more specifically should not do around other riders on the track.  And I believe C group is required to stay after the general morning riders meeting for additional discussion and instructions, IIRC.

For someone who has been riding for 10 years, I'd be leaning you towards going for the standard trackday in C group, get the gear, the bike prepped, ask questions here and wherever you have the opportunity about trackday riding, then leave the remaining questions for the big day.  Whomever is putting on the event will have instructors who can ride with you and show you around the track.  In that format, you get to ask questions and get feedback after several laps on the track itself.  C group track riding feels fairly safe, because that group isn't about fast lap times and riding fast with your buddies, it's about getting acclimated with your bike in an environment that's safer than the street...and there's no low ceiling 55 MPH speed limit.

Read up on C group rules and stick to them no matter what.  You'll go in with a little bit of nervousness, but come away with a greater deal of satisfaction.  More importantly, you'll come out with better riding skills than you started the day with.  :2cents
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

Quote from: RichVee4 on March 13, 2015, 07:16:58 AM
I thought the T3 was beneficial and a good way to get acclimated to the track routine.   An option you have is to start with the T3 and later in the day jump to class C, at least that is what someone did in our class.  Likely have to pay some additional $, don't know the specifics.  That would be the best of both worlds for the first outing.  I was with my wife and son so was temped to jump into a C class session in the afternoon but wanted to stay with the group.   ...
You're a better man than I, without a doubt.

andyhelfen

Thanks guys for feedback!  I'm leaning towards doing the C group first time out.  I have a suit for five years, my bike has a fresh tune with 1k miles on the tires so should be ok there.  Although I have a lot of miles I'm not a knee dragger by any means.  I still get scared going down steep downhills like the back side of Kingsbury to Gardnerville on my Duc maybe its because the riding position is so far forward.  I've been dirt bike riding last 2 years as well and recently went to the MX Fernley track twice now and the difference it made to my skills was huge vs. just trail riding.  I imagine going to do road track day will be huge to my skillset which is why want to do it rather than get best lap time etc.

I'm leaning towards the 2 miler vs. the 3 miler as will have more hairpin type turns to work on skills?  However the only weekend I see is in July where probably 100 degrees with Precision.  Zoom Zoom has one in June but the 3 miler East.  I could possibly do June 19th with Precision.  There is the 5 miler on May 29th but I think that is too much as a first track day.  Maybe as the T3 but not first day out. 

Any feedback of 3 miler vs 2 miler and Zoom Zoom vs. Precision?  I imagine they both limit # of riders and the instructor to student ratio for the C group is quite good at both?

I have a feeling going to get into it and will upgrade from a Duc SS 80 hp to an 848 ;D

Andy

2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 RR

dub

You are over thinking it. Come on out and ride with us at Precision on either track. I guarantee you'll have a great time and learn a lot about riding your motorcycle.

andyhelfen

Thanks Dub, Yes probably doesn't matter which Thunderhill.  Looked at Youtube videos looks like an awesome track both 3 and 2 miler.  I'm leaning towards the Precision June 19th as my first day out.

Andy
2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 RR

flamecrow

More newbie questions coming...

QuoteBike Prep
Tires and brakes should be in new or nearly new condition. Tire vendor services at the track is not guaranteed. Please email us or plan ahead. Always check your bike over for safety. Disconnect or remove the fuses for the lights. Check to be sure the bike operates normally after this step.
Tape over all lenses and mirrors. Blue 'painters tape' works best, and doesn't leave residue. No light should be visible, or 'bleed through.' Tape over the speedometer, as well. The reason for taping is to eliminate the distractions to you and your fellow riders. By reducing distractions, we're able to focus on what is important!
The bike does not need to be safety wired, but wiring the oil drain and fill caps is highly recommended, and easy to do.
Taping wheel weights is required. Duct tape works well.
Draining antifreeze and replacing it with pure water or water wetter additive is recommended but is not required. We allow engine ice or glycol based coolants.

Tech Inspection:
Helmets and all riding gear must be presented at tech inspection. Precision staff will perform an overall visual and tactile assessment checking for issues such as leaks, loose fittings, or other safety concerns. Your bike and gear MUST pass tech inspection each day before getting on the track. No refunds will be issued for bikes failing inspection or for inappropriate riding gear.

Tech Inspection includes safety items such as:
Crisp throttle return mechanism
Hand controls intact, with properly tightened levers and grips in good condition.
Foot controls properly attached and nothing loose or with excessive play, with no missing bolts.
Chain properly adjusted – generally 1 inch of slack above the swing arm but check your owner's manual for manufacturer recommended tension and adjust prior to event.
Tires in new or nearly new condition
Wheel weights securely taped. (duct tape or similar)

Do you guys recommend draining your anti-freeze and is it hard? I'm looking at maybe getting out there on April 25th for C-group. I have stock tires on my Ninja 300 (4500 miles), should I order new tires and have them ready or buy/install at the track? I don't have a truck or trailer so I'm most likely riding from Reno to Willows, which is why I asked about the anti-freeze. Also, I don't know how to safety wire oil drains or fill caps... and I'm assuming I don't have wheel weights so I don't have to duct tape anything?

dub

It's really not as hard as it may seem.
No need to replace your antifreeze.
Your stock tires are just fine, but they really should be in good condition with plenty of tread. So if they are looking low anyway, may as well go ahead and replace them. Our tire vendor is SPL in Reno. If you decide to replace them, I would just have him do it ahead of time so you don't have to worry about it at the track.
No need to safety wire anything. Just double check your drain plug is tight.
You probably have wheel weights, it's rare for the wheel/tires to be perfectly balanced without any weight. All you have to do is put a piece of duct tape over the weights; no big deal.

Honestly, all you have to do is give your bike a thorough TCLOCK inspection, disable the lights either with tape, pulling the fuses, or unplugging them, put a piece of tape over the wheel weights, and that's really it.

As for your transportation, I highly recommend you don't ride to the track from Reno. While it has been done by others before you, the potential for disaster is high. If you have a mechanical failure, or a crash, at the track you will be stranded. Also, you will most likely be really, really tired after your trackday, riding all the way home to Reno from Willows is gonna be rough. Lastly, you can't really carry much on your bike; you will want to bring lots of water, some snacks, and a chair to sit down in would be nice. A uhaul bike trailer can be rented for cheap and pulled with most any vehicle.

GreenMachine

Good for you FC!  I hope you're able to make the trip over there.

flamecrow

sweet, thanks for the awesome response :)