Main Menu

My kind of ADV trip

Started by RichVee4, February 20, 2015, 07:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichVee4

Here's a bucket list ride to do.  A guy I know rode this last year.   The photos are amazing so thought I would share.  Defiantly inspiring me for an overnight trip on the dirt bikes.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/80319-the-state-of-alone-a-month-in-colorado-non-vfr/
Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

Really, you want to beat yourself up doing one of those?  More power to you.  That takes guts and willpower.

The guy's story sounds very similar to trips that SCR takes where they do something like the Pony Express Trail west or something and it's 2,000 miles of out back riding and camping.  It's an adventure to top all adventures for sure, but there was the distinct impression as you read to the end of their thread that they were all glad to be done with it and probably wouldn't do it again.  In fact, when they got to about the 800 miles to go mark, they spent a lot less time diddling about looking at scenery and more time droning for home. That's the impression I got anyway. 

But I know there are people who love roughing it like this and if you want to do it, go for it!
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RichVee4

The draw of an overnight trip for me  would be to get a little further out and explore more remote places, similar to a backpacking trip.   Also like backpacking 3 days is enough and I miss a hot shower and the comforts of home so not planning to schedule any 2000 miles advertures.   

Range would be an issue for me with my 1.9 gal tank unless I carry some fuel or purchase a larger tank.  They make a 4 gal for my bike.

Maybe this will help inspire you.  This pic of a sunrise was taken east of Black Rock Desert on a camping/hiking trip last Oct.   

dub

Quote from: GreenMachine on February 21, 2015, 08:21:29 AMIt's an adventure to top all adventures for sure, but there was the distinct impression as you read to the end of their thread that they were all glad to be done with it and probably wouldn't do it again.

People embark on trying adventures for many reasons other than they think they will be having fun the entire time.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

RichVee4

Just found a 3 gal tank for my bike.  Should give me a conservative range of 150 miles. Thanks CL! 

GreenMachine

I could be talked into some of these short trips you're talking about.  Would be a good experiment in learning how to kind of live off the land.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RichVee4

I take it you don't do much camping/backpacking.   It adds some effort but I have never been disappointed in a trip.

Now you need to start looking for a desert tank.  Clark or IMS were brands I was looking at.  Or you could just refill your tank from SL monster tank. 

slmoto

Nice find Rich. My tank is not that much of a monster, only slightly larger than your's at 3.4 gal, but it does look quite large compared to the stock one.

I love these type of trips, I've never been disappointed myself either. Often towards the end of a long trip I am definitely looking forward to civilization and sleeping in a real bed and taking a real shower but the overall experience has always been more than worth the effort. Plus, it helps you appreciate the creature comforts we often get accustomed to and take for granted.