Main Menu

60's forecast for this weekend.

Started by GreenMachine, January 19, 2015, 01:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

Thinking about getting dirty again this coming weekend.  Wondering where a good place would be to go where it wouldn't be dusty and dry.  The mountains still have some snow on them, so maybe the higher elevations.

Looking for ideas.

My second choice would be the Moonrocks vicinity, simply for the reason it's familiar and I could practice flat tracking the bike and weight distribution, both of which I'm not very good at.   If no offers, I may just head to Fernley again, depending on mood as I turn the truck east.  That was nothing less than a blast, but there's been no moisture and that track has to be beat to heck by now.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

slmoto

I'd like to get some dirt riding in this weekend. ;D Missed last weekend and the weekend after next I'll be out of town so got to get it while I can.

I agree on Fernley, lots of fun, I'd be tempted to go back but we'd have to be prepared for poor dirt conditions. It was dry and sandy a couple weeks ago so it must have only gotten worse.

What about Dog Valley? Maybe it gets enough run off to not be too dry, plus it's more covered by trees so maybe the sun hasn't dried it out as much. The key is being able to find the single track. I stumbled upon some last time I was out there but I don't know that I could find it again all that easily.

Moon Rocks is always fun as well. The last time I was out there with TB the dirt was really nice, that was probably about a month ago so who knows what it's like now. Maybe TB made it out on his trials bike last weekend and could chime in on the conditions.

I saw some dirt guys out when I was on the truck route this past weekend. What about Virginia City, any good riding out there? Looks fun to explore with all the old history there.

Sorry, I don't know if any of that helped. Clearly I don't have a decisive choice.

GreenMachine

No real preference other than VC scares me.  Peavine does too some a lesser extent, with all the abandoned mining wholes scattered about. 

I worry too much.   :ohno

But on the bright side, I saw the w/e temps revised upwards, so yee-haw to that!

Definitely riding in one form or another.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

slmoto

Figure anything out? Still planning on riding this weekend?

GreenMachine

Not really.  I want or wanted to go dirt riding, but

a) it's dry as phuck out and more importantly
b) I don't know, but I think I may have also sprain or otherwise strained my left thumb.  I have a great deal of pain holding onto objects that twist in my grip. 

Do you want to go screw around out at moonrocks tomorrow?  That way if I further the injury, I can still ride out to Auburn on the street bike on Sunday.

slmoto

Yeah, moon rocks tomorrow sounds good. We can take it easy if need be, I'd just like to get out a bit and my street bike is still in pieces so dirt is my only option.

Got a time and place to meet in mind?

GreenMachine

I was thinking, meet around 9:30 and be riding about 10 - 10:15.

Do you want to put both bikes in my truck?  Or just meet at the Pyramid Raley's at 9:30.

GreenMachine

Reason being, by 10:00 it'll be in the 40's already and it's forecast to be bright sunshine and virtually no wind.  By the time we hit moonrocks proper, it'll be 10:30 and almost 50*...with no wind and full sunshine.

slmoto

That's all fine with me. I don't mind going early, gives me a chance to rest afterwards and still have time to get to other things if I feel up to it.

If you don't mind throwing my bike in your truck that'd be great. I'll be ready to go by 9am if that works for you.

GreenMachine

I'm loaded up, so perfect!  I'll get up early, which will be the hard part, then ASAP around 9 AM to your place.  Getting the bikes in there shouldn't be too difficult.  And there should be enough room for our gear in back. 

See you in a few hours.   :|)

GreenMachine

In back, behind the seats I mean.  ;)

slmoto

GreenMachine

Crazy kid roosted me.  :-\

Awesome riding with you today SL!  You kept me sharp.  And thanks for the beer afterwards.

Gonna shower and hit the sack, I think.  :egyptian :hangover

slmoto

Yep, great ride today. One off my top dirt rides so far.

Sorry for roosting you, the long straight was too tempting... Got to make the straights interesting somehow.

GreenMachine

Good workout too!  I'm feeling it this morning after 14 hours of sleep.