Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

Project GS550

Started by slmoto, January 06, 2015, 10:37:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slmoto

Picked up a bit of a project bike the other day. Looking to learn more and end up with something I can ride to work and cruise around town, reducing the wear and tear on my sportbike.
It's going to take me a while as this will be big learning process for me but I'll post up some progress as I make my way through it.

GreenMachine

So many things to ask and say.

How did you ride it home?

What works and what doesn't?

Is that the 1983 GS-550?

If you have beer, I'll come over and supervise.  Forget the beer.  I'll bring my own and a lawn chair.  Got tunes?

:chilling
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

slmoto

Quote from: GreenMachine on January 06, 2015, 02:02:43 PM
So many things to ask and say.

How did you ride it home?
I did one of these moves
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_AgOaKQUcCqM/S-gV4_Fa-FI/AAAAAAAAAAo/XE60enwdTDE/s1600/2138071254_2e5a004ddd.jpg

What works and what doesn't?
Who knows, I'm assuming nothing works right now. It's a complete tear down. I have all the parts for it except for the seat and plastics. The guy I got it from was going to make it a cafe racer and discarded all that stuff, that's about as far as he got, now it's my turn.

Is that the 1983 GS-550?
1986 Suzuki GS550SE

If you have beer, I'll come over and supervise.  Forget the beer.  I'll bring my own and a lawn chair.  Got tunes?
I may have to hold you to this, I'm going to need all the help I can find once I start to dig into this project.

:chilling

GreenMachine

:rotflmao  Yeah, right!

Is this how I'm going to be distracted from my other Winter projects, helping you consume beer and stare at a bike in the garage.

p.s. don't tell TB5, otherwise we'll have to split the case with him.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RichVee4

Where's the rest of it  :)  I see a theme here with yellow bikes...  Looks like a fun project.  Whats that gold component at the base of the front fork leg by the disk??
Live long and prosper \V/

slmoto

Quote from: RichVee4 on January 06, 2015, 05:21:50 PM
Where's the rest of it  :)  I see a theme here with yellow bikes...  Looks like a fun project.  Whats that gold component at the base of the front fork leg by the disk??
The rest is in the other corner of the garage, minus seat and plastics which were thrown out or lost by the previous owner.

I noticed the yellow theme too, just coincidence.  It won't remain yellow though. The tank has been painted, terribly I might add, so that will end up being repainted eventually.

Not sure what that gold component does yet, I need to get a repair manual for this bike. Probably not a good answer from someone who hope to rebuild a bike but that is kind of the point, I need to learn this stuff.

RichVee4

Sure you have something in mind already for a custom leather seat !   There is a motorcycle dismantler in Rancho Cordova (Sacto) that I see bike ads on CL all the time.  If you need parts they may be a good source.   

http://www.ranchomotorcycle.com/

slmoto

Quote from: RichVee4 on January 06, 2015, 06:24:57 PM
Sure you have something in mind already for a custom leather seat !   There is a motorcycle dismantler in Rancho Cordova (Sacto) that I see bike ads on CL all the time.  If you need parts they may be a good source.   

http://www.ranchomotorcycle.com/

Been thinking about the seat but nothing too crazy has come to min yet. I don't normally work with upholstery leather so we'll see, I work more with the type of leather that saddles are made of.

Thanks for the link, may come in handy at some point.

GreenMachine

It looks like a remote fluid reservoir for the brake calipers, but it could be a NoS super boost trigger.  Only time will tell.

slmoto

Did a quick and dirty photoshop concept mock-up last night of what I hope the finished product to be.
I wish the actual build and fabrication was as quick and easy as the swipe of a photoshop brush

before/after

RichVee4

Nice,   I see some adv tourer influence in there.

slmoto

Nothing crazy but it'd be nice to be able to handle a fire road.

I wanted something more upright to ride around town. I like the look of the cafe racers but didn't want to be leaned forward so much, I already have a bike for that. And, this bike was too far gone to try and put back to stock condition plus it'd cost too much to do so.

GreenMachine

Typically that whole area behind the carbs is where the battery and electronics would go.  Although this guy seems to have done the same thing you're thinking of.

I would think for pod filters that you'd want something to protect them from mud and debris slung in from the rear tire.

Interesting concept though and interesting to contemplate bike riding eras.  I grew up knowing and owning only UJM naked bikes with upright seated positions, bench seats, lousy suspensions and no wind protection.  I longed for something similar to the fully faired F1 bikes of that era and finally found bliss in what I have now. 

slmoto

This is just a big picture concept, there will be a lot of details that will have to be filled once it actually gets going.

Quote from: GreenMachine on January 08, 2015, 10:14:16 PM
Typically that whole area behind the carbs is where the battery and electronics would go.  Although this guy seems to have done the same thing you're thinking of.

I would think for pod filters that you'd want something to protect them from mud and debris slung in from the rear tire.

Interesting concept though and interesting to contemplate bike riding eras.  I grew up knowing and owning only UJM naked bikes with upright seated positions, bench seats, lousy suspensions and no wind protection.  I longed for something similar to the fully faired F1 bikes of that era and finally found bliss in what I have now. 

That guy probably has it under the tail section which I won't have room for if I go for the full seat and no rear cowl thing. I just stuck the pod filter on there because it was easy to fill in the empty space in the photoshop pic. I probably won't be going with a pod filter. I'll either use the stock air box or make my own. The stock one might be nice since it also houses the battery, I may try and use it if I can salvage it. Unfortunately the previous owner did not take care when removing the parts they felt they were not going to use so part of the original air box has been hacked off.

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer my current bike over what I'm going to build, if I had to choose one or the other. But since I already have a fully faired bike no use in building another.
I'm looking at this bike to be mostly an around town kind of bike. I rode a Ducati Monster last summer through some back roads in the Bay Area, I didn't like it all. If I were building something for longer higher speed rides I wouldn't go for a naked version.

GreenMachine

Quote from: slmoto on January 08, 2015, 11:26:42 PM... Unfortunately the previous owner did not take care when removing the parts they felt they were not going to use so part of the original air box has been hacked off...
More air to the carbs means more power.  :D