Main Menu

Jan. Ride 1/3 or 1/4

Started by slmoto, December 23, 2014, 09:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

I don't really have all my gear yet for snow riding.  It's not looking good for me going on this.  Wet, muddy and cold doesn't sound appealing at all even with some ice cold beer afterwards.

Are you crazies still planning on going?
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

slmoto

I'm still planning on riding.

tb, looks like you're the only potential left? I'm down to go wherever if you're not into jumbo grade Moon rocks again or if you know of some other good spots this time of year?

You sure your out gm? I could be wrong but i don't think the snow levels are quite where they were in dubs pic right now.

Tahoebrian5

I've got a nasty cold that's been kicking my ass. I'm definitely out for Saturday. I'll check in Saturday night and if I'm feeling better I could be game for Sunday.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

GreenMachine

I'm pretty sure.  I don't have hand warmers and I don't have enough gear to ride in such cold conditions.  You're too gungho for me, but I like your enthusiasm.  Besides, having a break may give me time to do some other bike related TLC/stuff that needs to be caught up on. 

I might just take January off from riding.  My gear should have arrived by then and so too will slightly warmer temps.

Have fun there crazy boy!
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

slmoto

I'm going to go putt around Saturday somewhere close like Peavine.

TB, I'll keep an eye out on the thread to see if you end up wanting to ride Sun. I'd be down to ride that day as well, if not no prob, hope you're feeling better.

GM, all of Jan! that's a bummer. Hope you get the stuff you need soon and look forward to getting out riding with you again when you do.

GreenMachine

:D You have that newb attitude of ride wherever, whenever.  It's becoming your 'goat road' muse.

There's the saying about too much of a good thing.  Kind of like the 'all work and no play' meme.  I don't want to wear it out under less than ideal conditions or injure myself because I don't have all the riding armor just yet.  Let's see how temps go next weekend.   I may take January off and I may not.  It's not a bad goal though.  Doing other activities for a few weeks can only energize my riding batteries...which are always chomping at the bit too.   :|)

GreenMachine

If TB5's sick, he shouldn't go.  I know of several people who have weak immune systems that have been sick since November.  Nonstop coughing & sneezing & runny nose.  Can you imagine!?  One is only now starting to recover and was quarantined when they first went to the ER.  Another is a mucus & germ factory, insisting on coming into work, exposing others.  A few others' coughing seems to be bronchial related and intermittent.

Sickies.

slmoto

Quote from: GreenMachine on January 02, 2015, 01:19:14 PM
:D You have that newb attitude of ride wherever, whenever.  It's becoming your 'goat road' muse.

There's the saying about too much of a good thing.  Kind of like the 'all work and no play' meme.  I don't want to wear it out under less than ideal conditions or injure myself because I don't have all the riding armor just yet.  Let's see how temps go next weekend.   I may take January off and I may not.  It's not a bad goal though.  Doing other activities for a few weeks can only energize my riding batteries...which are always chomping at the bit too.   :|)

I'm sure it's partly because it's all new to me, only time will tell. Generally I don't like to let the weather get in my way of having a good time, unless it's severe enough to warrant staying in. Right now I'm really enjoying riding, if it wears off some day so be it, I'll find something else to do but as of now I don't see that happening any time soon. I still have so much to learn and so far to progress it should keep my attention for quite a long time. I'm also eager to learn and become a better rider and the only thing that is going to get me there is seat time.

I didn't think it would be like this when I first got a street bike last year. I thought I'd have some fun just riding around here and there but it's grabbed me and really sucked me in. For the time being I can't get enough. And that was with the street bike, I think I'm liking the dirt riding even more than the street so it may become an even worse obsession.

Tahoebrian5

I'm feeling a bit better today and still hopeful for tomorrow. I'll confirm tonight if you still want to go, SL, check back.

40 isn't that cold for dirt riding unless it's windy and wet as well. I've ridden below freezing and it's just my hands that get cold... Enter heated grips!

Glad you are digging the dirt. I'll have you on the advanced line in no time

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

slmoto

I ended up going to Jumbo Grade, half snow half dirt just depended on the side of hill you were on. Not cold at all, the only time I was cold was when I had to put my sweaty helmet back on after a lunch break.

You were dead on Dub about the snow, the only section that gave me trouble was riding over the atv/truck tracks. The rest was just fine, kind of fun, felt loose like how it felt the first time I rode dirt.

TB, I'll check back later tonight to see if you post up anything. I'm good either way, a bit tired but still got some left in me if felling better and end up wanting to go tomorrow.

Tahoebrian5

Ya i think im going to have to pass. Im still a bit sick but also im really behind on work from being sick for a whole week. Lame! Sorry, ill try to post up a new ride soon

slmoto

Quote from: Tahoebrian5 on January 03, 2015, 05:40:02 PM
Ya i think im going to have to pass. Im still a bit sick but also im really behind on work from being sick for a whole week. Lame! Sorry, ill try to post up a new ride soon

Not a problem, probably best for me not to go as well. The longer I sit the more the tiredness is stinking in and I too could use the extra time to get caught up with work.

Next time.

RichVee4

SL, good you were able to get out.  Make it to the sand dunes?   I was surprised how nice it felt yesterday.   I still haven't unloaded the street bikes from the trailer yet, my side yard and shed still have snow on the ground so hoping that melts soon so I can swap bikes and load up the dirt bike.  Bikes could use a bath too, but that may not happen for awhile.

I'm going to have to get out soon thought and practice more so I am not eating your dust all the time  :)
Live long and prosper \V/

RichVee4

Just walked the dog and where did all the clouds come from?  Yesterday certainly looked like the best day to get out for a ride. 
Live long and prosper \V/

slmoto

Looking at the weather so far today I'm glad I was able to get out yesterday too. I wasn't able to make it to the sand dunes, although I tried to find them. I was keeping low trying to get there without going through the rock trail we came down on last time. I hit what looked to be the beginning of the rock trail we were on, it looked a bit different in the snow, so I turned back and tried another way. I think I got close because the trails started getting really soft and sandy which was difficult for me because the tires would break through the snow only to find soft sandy ground. It was getting late and I didn't want to get caught out in the dark there, especially considering all the bear scat I came across throughout the day, so I turned back.

I was on my own so I kept it pretty mellow and didn't stray too far from the staging area and used a bit of the time to just practice things.

My bike could definitely use a bath too.

I've been kind of wanting to get back to the track we went to in Fernley and get some practice laps in. Once you're able to get your bikes swapped if you wanted to go there or anywhere else let me know, I'm game.