Main Menu

Jan. Ride 1/3 or 1/4

Started by slmoto, December 23, 2014, 09:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slmoto

Posting this a bit early but thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone was interested they could plan ahead.  I know I'm going to be itching to ride when I get back in town so anyone up for a ride the first weekend of Jan?

I'd like to explore Jumbo Grade a bit more but I'm open to anything and if it's a windy weekend somewhere else more protected may be better.

Extended forecast is calling for cloudy and cold but it's January so what else you'd expect, nothing some extra layers can't fix.

Tahoebrian5

If weather is good ill be game. Ive ridden jumbo a bit, not much interesting going on there in my opinion. Id ride there if it was my back yard but if youre loading up the bikes, might as well go somewhere better. In my humble opinion :) we should get wiles aka Dub to show us around johnson lane. I know there is good riding there but it sure is hard to find if you dont know the area. Btw, if you read this Wiles, i took george from rickdiculous out to moon rocks with SL last weekend. Was his 2nd time on a dirt bike. He will probably come out again if we are doing moderate terrain.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

slmoto

I'm hoping the weather holds up as much as it can, it's probably going to be fairly cold regardless of precipitation, right now there is a small window of no rain/snow but it's pretty far out so we'll just see as it gets closer.

I was just checking it out on Riderplanet, I would definitely be up for Johnson Lane it'd be great if Dub were to come on board. I like checking out new places and they're all pretty much new to me at this point. I'm just happy to be out on the bike anywhere, really.

dub

I think I'm down for a ride on Saturday, 1/3.

I can't really navigate the pine nuts from Johnson Lane area. I can fumble around, but it's a real labyrinth. I'll post up next time we ride there if you guys want to come down. The stuff we ride is pretty fucking gnarly though. Rocky, technical, steep climbs. We don't just putt around the sandy play areas like it says on Riderplanet.com.

I can navigate a good loop in the pine nuts from single tree, though. And also Wilson Canyon; navigating there is pretty easy.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

So, much like TB5's backside of Moonrocks single track ridge rides.  Not too terribly technical for someone who's only ridden a dirt bike a couple times  :tard and if you fall downhill, there's virtually no chance of getting back to where you were.  Love those!!!  :hbang

Don't know where these other places are and I might be forgetting something I need to get done by year end, but for now, I'm throwing my hat into the ring for SL's ride.  If it's not too terribly cold, wet and otherwise crappy, AND if there will be beer, I'm in.   :CoU
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

Quote from: GreenMachine on December 23, 2014, 02:32:12 PMif you fall downhill, there's virtually no chance of getting back to where you were.

Exactly like that.

GreenMachine

I imagine that yours are that much more treacherous.  But who knows, I never really looked down, always overly leaning into the mountain.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Tahoebrian5

Hate to break it to you GM, but those trails were intermediate difficulty.  :o

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

GreenMachine

I could do advanced stuff if my bike was more up to the task.  I'm going to change the gearing.  Maybe that's what's holding me back.

;)

Tahoebrian5

You need more power and bling to get through the more advanced sections.

slmoto

You need a few of these, really inexpensive way to add some extra power.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/230892024847?nav=SEARCH

GreenMachine

I'm getting there.  Those +5 HP mods would look great on it too.

Look out next w/e.

GreenMachine

Here's to hoping that the 50 degree temps expected for this weekend melt last night's snow off so we can ride.

slmoto

I hope so, I'm looking forward to getting out and doing some riding.

dub

You can still ride in the snow; you wont die. Dirt bikes handle it pretty well. You just want to stay away from fire roads or quad trails where 4 wheel vehicle have packed the down the snow and it turned to ice. That's really hard to not crash on. Getting fresh tracks is actually pretty fun. Climbs can be tricky. You want to be careful to avoid a situation where climbing a snowy hill is the only way out. It's pretty easy to do when everything is snow covered, but as it starts to melt you want to remain aware that the north aspects will hold snow much longer.

Here's from a ride last year.

Regardless of conditions, I'm out for Saturday. Something came up.