Main Menu

Hwy 88 Condition warning

Started by turbobrick, July 12, 2008, 02:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turbobrick

Hey guys, I haven't been around here much since I sold my bikes :( , but I'm still a rider at heart.  I drive lots for my work (more than 40k miles per year), and I keep my eyes on hazards for you all.  Yesterday, while driving 88 from Hope Valley toward Kirkwood, just before the turn to Blue Lakes, I noticed that someone is summering their cows in those pastures again, I haven't seen herds in that area in years.  The problem is, that the barbed wire in that area, is usually let down in the winter so the snowmobiles can have fun in the fields, and it doesn't look like they did much work putting it back right before ranging the cows.  I came around a bend to meet a huge heffer eating grass in the drainage ditch.  We, as motorcyclists, have to remember that many of our favorite areas are actually rated for open range, and livestock can be in the road at any time.  Definately keep those brakes covered and find a good pace out there.  Hopefully, I can catch you guys at a bike night soon, unfortunately I'll have to be in a cage, and a Volvo no less.

Aaron

n10sive

Thanks for the warning Aaron. I ride that road all the time
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

turbobrick

I forgot, Hwy 4 is also temporarily closed, so Ebbits will have to be crossed off any group rides for a while.

trent

Thanks for the heads up!! Im headed out that way today in fact. I will keep the eyes peeeeeled!! ;)
There is absolutely no good excuse for what Im about to do !

nvgixxer

I took a spin up Monitor today and sure enough, Ebbetts Pass is temporarily closed, but Monitor is again open to traffic after yesterday's death Ride event.
2015 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2012 Kawasaki ZX14R (sold)
2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2007 Suzuki GSXR1000 (totaled)
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2003 Suzuki GSXR1000 (sold)