Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

Columbus Day with Precision!

Started by RocketRider, August 28, 2014, 09:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RocketRider

Headed out with some coworkers to ride the track Monday, Columbus day! It will be BIG THILL! Anyone else joining? I may have a code to give a slightly increased discount over early bird pricing to share with friends :). PM me if you're interested in going!Can't wait to ride more than 5 laps... :|)
PIN IT TO WIN IT!

Please support my race team Rocket Pace Racing!https://www.facebook.com/RocketPaceRacing
We're accepting everything from Sponsors, to Facebook likes, to simple pats on the back :)

Thank you Apex-Speed and EBC Brakes for supporting our efforts to go faster!

dub

Not sure about that one yet. I'm dong California Superbike School on Sept 29/30 (mon/tues), then the last round of AFM three days later on 4/5th (sat/sun). Another track day the following Monday could be a bit much.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

Quote from: RocketRider on August 28, 2014, 09:46:06 PM
Headed out with some coworkers to ride the track Monday, Columbus day! It will be BIG THILL! Anyone else joining? I may have a code to give a slightly increased discount over early bird pricing to share with friends :). PM me if you're interested in going!Can't wait to ride more than 5 laps... :|)
Then get a Kawasaki.  :P
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RocketRider

Sorry I should've added that I want to do the laps fast as well, not Kwak slow  ;D
PIN IT TO WIN IT!

Please support my race team Rocket Pace Racing!https://www.facebook.com/RocketPaceRacing
We're accepting everything from Sponsors, to Facebook likes, to simple pats on the back :)

dub

RocketRider

Noice! Ill be there with 3 of my buddies. I'm gonna have to try to find you to get some pointers!
PIN IT TO WIN IT!

GreenMachine

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

dub

Quote from: GreenMachine on October 14, 2014, 11:06:40 AM
How'd it go?

It was a great day. Temperature was perfect, not deathly hot but still hot enough to keep everything warm and sticky on track. We had no red flags; no lost track time.

RocketRider

Quote from: dub on October 14, 2014, 11:14:43 AM
How did you like the full track?

I really like Big Thill! The transition going into west is super fun, I really wanna practice that section again and again.

It was a great day over all with minimal accidents it seemed, got a little help from one of the instructors that really helped me at the end of West. My buddies made great use of the class room sessions and also got some on track help from the instructors. They're addicted now and may join Precision for one last run this season.

Unfortunately, the poor ol' CBR developed a second and third gear issue and ate about a quart of oil through the entire day. No love with used engines man. Doesn't matter, I'm done with the track for the year and I'm going to force that poor bastard to limp along on the street for the rest of the season. With a little luck SPL will have the CBR over winter and they'll rebuild the engine for turbo time!
PIN IT TO WIN IT!

GreenMachine

I'm so glad you don't like Kawasakis.   :P

I'd agree about T-hill, it's a terrific facility and it was a good time.  Glad you actually got to enjoy more than a few laps this time around.  One of my videos has you sitting in the pits all dejected.

Speaking of which, are there going to be any GoPro videos of your outing?

dub

Quote from: RocketRider on October 18, 2014, 03:29:56 PMI really like Big Thill! The transition going into west is super fun, I really wanna practice that section again and again.

Yes! I agree! There is another configuration available to rent; it's the west track with the connecters, then you go down the east back straight and go straight back to turn 8e. I think it would be awesome, but so far no joy from the trackday providers. It's called Middle Hill.

Quote from: RocketRider on October 18, 2014, 03:29:56 PMUnfortunately, the poor ol' CBR ... ate about a quart of oil through the entire day.

I know, I could smell it every time you passed me.

RocketRider

Quote from: GreenMachine on October 18, 2014, 05:31:04 PM
I'm so glad you don't like Kawasakis.   :P

I'd agree about T-hill, it's a terrific facility and it was a good time.  Glad you actually got to enjoy more than a few laps this time around.  One of my videos has you sitting in the pits all dejected.

Speaking of which, are there going to be any GoPro videos of your outing?

Working on it! Did one vid of my buds, gonna work on my vids tomorrow. Man my lines are sloppy.

Dub: What was I doing passing you?! lol. PS- from what little you may remember of me, do you think I'm approaching A group pace yet? I feel like I've got an ok average, there's just a couple spots I know I'm pathetically slow and I don't want to roll with the fast guys til I nail those sections.
PIN IT TO WIN IT!

RocketRider

PIN IT TO WIN IT!

GreenMachine

If I might, RR.  I compared one of your sectors to mine, corners 11 - 8, starting with 11.  You're 6 sec faster than my B group pace for that sector.  Throw in corners 9 + 10 and you could add 4 more seconds to that margin I suppose, maybe?  I go around the old section of track at about 2:26/lap, however, Dub does sub 2:00s on his R6. 
Quote from: dubI went out next session feeling better and put in my normal sub 2 minute practice laps.

So if you're not an A- yet on an unfamiliar track, you're at least a solid B to B+.  IMO, keep the engine from popping out of gear and get some more track time and A group would be on the table.