Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

RFR Open Track Days

Started by stevewaclo, August 12, 2014, 12:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevewaclo

Hello again, all.

You no doubt recognize me from my "Justin Mustaka" post, of which I will be adding additional information as it becomes available.

Still having fond memories of that day in '07 at RFR with Justin and after getting off the phone with RFR Facility Manager Matt Ramtham a few minutes ago I have come to realize my experience was once in a lifetime. Apparently the other driver on the track that day (with a trailered-in Corvette and an expensive motorhome) must have picked up the $1300 (then) liability insurance and other track charges and somehow Justin coat-tailed us onto the track. Ain't ever gonna happen again :(.

Matt was kind enough to spend some time talking about conditions on the road course, and how it was originally installed "on the cheap" and with the dirt track being the money maker at RFR, how the current owner is understandably reluctant to pour at least a million into restoring the road course to it's never-was, former glory.

We talked about SCCA (I used to be a member and have track time there in my wife's Altima Coupe SE) using the track for auto-cross and time trials and how some of the members complain about conditions (see above). Doesn't someone make a rear-mounted magnet to scoop up fallen parts :)?

Anyway, Matt encouraged me to contact Precision about their track events, although he mentioned he's still awaiting a reply from his last email in regard to his last inquiry about their plans.

In conclusion (and someone remind me where I get off all of a sudden getting involved with all this track-day business) Matt told me if he received strong indications of interest from the local motorsports community (and you know who you are!), RFR management would be interested in considering "open track" days, where bikes and cars (separately, of course!) could come out and burn some rubber.

I feel pretty bad just jumping in with all this 411 (who is this guy, anyway?) so someone let me know if I'm out of line or dredging up issues that have already been talked to death here.

Best wishes!

stevewaclo

Looks like there has been considerable discussion:

http://www.sierrasportbike.com/smf/index.php?topic=4076.0

but RFR communications could be improved.

Chicken or egg?

dub

Quote from: stevewaclo on August 12, 2014, 12:48:28 PMI feel pretty bad just jumping in with all this 411 (who is this guy, anyway?) so someone let me know if I'm out of line or dredging up issues that have already been talked to death here.

Not out of line; sounds like an interesting conversation with Matt. But, yeah, talked to death then resurrected and talked to death again.

The bottom line is that the track surface is so deteriorated that there is not enough interest from riders for a trackday organizer to cover their costs of putting on an event. Up until just a couple years ago regular events were being held out there, and there was constant chatter of the track and facilities being improved. None of that ever came to fruition. Now it's such a ghost town there is no doubt that improvements will not be made in the foreseeable future. It had a large following back in the day, it's a really fun layout that everyone liked. There used to be well attended events from multiple providers, but they didn't keep up on the maintenance and now it's damn near unrideable.

Per Precision's events page, the remaining RFR events scheduled for this year have been cancelled. Email RideWithPrecision@gmail.com for more information. You may still get a chance to ride RFR again if you really want to, as Matt mentioned, at an open test day organized by the track it's self. I wonder how the one in the thread you linked went, Ted never updated us and I never heard anything.

The good news is you can still have a great experience riding the track with great instructors like you did in 2007. Come on out to one of Precision's days at Thunderhill. It's a much better track with great facilities. There are awesome instructors for you to work with for free.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

You're not out of line.  Your input and entrepreneurial spirit is refreshing! :thumbup

On the RFR open track days, I think with the condition and the riders knowing the condition of the track, until there's a large contingent of supermoto riders out there willing to ride a bumpy deteriorating course, that'll be about it.   RFR needs a movie studio in need of a track for an upcoming film, to revive their bank account. 

Unfortunately, even if RFR were to restore the road course, it wouldn't solve the problem of making it profitable: maintenance, track amortization costs, etc.  And for that, their management is right.  Stick with what makes money, the dirt track.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

stevewaclo

Thanks guys!

So sad the RFR situation has come to this 😟.

Much of my riding of late includes the wife on the back and it's only been a couple of years since I got her to lean with me, so our riding is quite mellow.

Sometimes I just want to get out and rip, but riding at extra legal speed on public roads is, well you know the rest. Sometimes, the truck route to Virginia City calls to me. If only those SUV's taking their half out of the middle on blind curves would go somewhere else :(.

Maybe I'll see if son Matt sold his '93 CBR yet, tie it down in the Sierra and tow the RV to Thunderhill.

See you there?

Best wishes and ride safe!

cobra23

I posted what little I know to the other thread, but I think the road course is done.