Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

Will it Rebuild?

Started by RocketRider, April 22, 2014, 08:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RocketRider

For those that haven't heard, the Turbo CBR nuked a cylinder at Thunderhill during the first session. Figured I can document the rebuild attempt here. Warning, budget fixes ahead, you've been warned  :P

The carnage

Gutted

The broken heart

The culprit

Exploded engine

The Damage

PIN IT TO WIN IT!

Please support my race team Rocket Pace Racing!https://www.facebook.com/RocketPaceRacing
We're accepting everything from Sponsors, to Facebook likes, to simple pats on the back :)

Thank you Apex-Speed and EBC Brakes for supporting our efforts to go faster!

dub

Jeez you didn't waste any time.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

The pressures punched a hole through the piston top?  Those are some tough connecting rods for sure!
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

288RR

If it's just a budget build. Can you just hone the cylinder or has it scored it to bad?

RocketRider

I guess my first post didnt stick for some reason...
Quote from: GreenMachine on April 22, 2014, 11:19:34 PM
The pressures punched a hole through the piston top?  Those are some tough connecting rods for sure!
Wasnt just pressure, definitely melted some. I think I might've been going lean off throttle and it burned the cylinder up

Quote from: 288cbr on April 23, 2014, 05:10:34 PM
If it's just a budget build. Can you just hone the cylinder or has it scored it to bad?

Thats the hope. Coworker has my cylinders and is going to try to hone, he seems to think it's possible. If it works I'm going to get a fresh set of pistons and rings and a thicker head gasket. If honing doesnt work i dunno what I'm going to do :\
PIN IT TO WIN IT!

Please support my race team Rocket Pace Racing!https://www.facebook.com/RocketPaceRacing
We're accepting everything from Sponsors, to Facebook likes, to simple pats on the back :)

GreenMachine

Cost benefit: can you still find a used motor?  Might be a lot cheaper.  It won't matter what you do, if you still try to make that engine produce twice what it was designed for.  I'd be thinking of reducing maximum boost to keep power increases in the modest double digits. You know, like in the 30 range, rather than the 100+ range.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RocketRider

Cylinders honed nicely but the score is too deep for my liking. I can just barely feel it, but that means it's not going to hold the 150+ psi even NA combustion asks of it.
Nikasil is not a cost effective option for me at $400 for the cylinders AND shipping (no one near does it, I spent all afternoon calling). Nikasil + Pistons and gaskets quickly adds up to $1000+

Used engines are typically ~$1000, that'll give me younger fresher everything (particularly the transmission) so that's looking like the option. Get a used engine, replace the head gasket with something thicker and shove it in.

GM- the lower boost I run (6psi) isn't terrible. I'm at about 150% power with that boost (at this altitude), surely within typical margins of engine designs. The engine didn't fail because of power, it failed because of poor (fuel) setup on my part. The boost DEFINITELY reduces engine life as you suggest, but not quite down to 500 mi between rebuilds that I got haha. Trying to rearrange my budget to accommodate an engine...if you know anyone that needs cbr 900 engine PARTS tell em I'm partin this turd out :P. Will update when there's something new  :)
PIN IT TO WIN IT!

cobra23

oUCH..

This hurts. My favorite ride was a CBR 900 RR.

Can you sleeve it? I have not approached sleeving in a few years but back in the day it was a good option, due to the ability to overbore a sleeve.

Second option.. just am e-bay set of jugs or cylinder block. (if you are from California I am sure there is a fancy name) we call em' "jugs".

I will contact some people who used to race these. (900, 929,954) but the trouble with Nikasil, is they are probably all smoked.

RocketRider

No clue where I'd buy sleeves.
Havent seen any good case sets, cylinders look just as bad as mine. Engine is the way to go (unless you happen to find someone selling good condition case halves). If you know someone selling an appropriate vintage engine I'd be interested :). Otherwise I'll be off to Sac town to raid a pick n pull within the next few weeks. Gotta finish buying a house before blowing moar money I don't have
PIN IT TO WIN IT!

RocketRider

Soon my precious...soon...but we do it MY way
PIN IT TO WIN IT!

GreenMachine

What year motors or parts are you looking for, in case we run across something?

BTW, OEM Motorsports parts house (eBay seller) is/was about 1 mile from you.   I got some parts from them.  They might have a line on getting stuff for you AND they're willing to negotiate.  ;D

That's if they're still in business.  A portion of their site is offline:

2012 OEM Motorsports - Phone: (775) 303-5750 - 5301 Lonley LN #H124 Reno, NV 89511

RocketRider

I called them when I first started searching, they were a no go.
It's all new parts from here, head gasket, spark plugs, and header gasket
PIN IT TO WIN IT!

RocketRider

Update: F*CK A DUCK
Engine I bought is no good. Turned new oil into chocolate milk within 10 miles. Cylinders 1 and 2 show damage. Gonna be talking to the salvage yard Monday
PIN IT TO WIN IT!

GreenMachine

Sounds like there was still some residue water inside the new motor.

I've heard that with the engine up to temperature, with synthetics the water will evaporate and the oil will return to normal.

You work fast.

RocketRider

Update after much silence. Finally returned the motor to Rancho Motorcycle Dismantling after they had about a month of searching. Taking their time with returning my money but I trust em, I've worked with em before and they're a good bunch.
Simultaneously, I've bought another engine of the same vintage as the last (893 instead of 919) and am looking forward to testing that one with success. This one actually has good pressures (180 across the board) so I'm hopeful that it's indicative of good cylinder/general health. Probably arrive mid-late next week and I'll have it crammed in by that weekend!
PIN IT TO WIN IT!