Main Menu

Old Grunts (11bravo) having fun in Nevada sun

Started by cobra23, December 27, 2013, 12:51:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

That must have been from earlier this Fall.  Far too cold for a riding/camping outing this time of year?  Loved watching it and the cinematography.  Well done video, except for the one spelling error at the end: ...the silence soon retruns... @18:43  :evil1
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

cobra23

it was actually March, and quite cold at night, so we added much antifreeze to our systems while sitting by the fire eating the BBQ, and then shooting holes in said BBQ.

We must have expended about 1200 rounds on the BBQ, missed a lot, it was dark after all.
In the morning we had planned another ride, but then again the antifreeze had not fully worn off at that point so we just laid around in the 50 degree sun and baked it out.

Thank for the compliment, you would be surprised at the amount of work involved. Dave is making a street version of this years riding this weekend, I will post it when he gets it done. He has made about 4 videos of our riding.

cobra23

Here is another, this time Dave is on his SRX 600 giving people fits in the corners at RFR last summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAQE0TBgGos

GreenMachine

I won't give away the ending.  More like old fast grunts, right?

Only now do I find out that there were dots and what they meant.  :-\ 

I could never get my line in 21 right, let alone get through it smoothly.  Maybe once smoothly, but not on the correct line.  Plus I wanted to be respectful to the racers by staying off their lines for the 2013 TTRC event.  I was more of a guest on their track.  Interfere as little as possible and stay out of their way.   

I see Precision isn't doing any 2014 RFR trackdays and the RFR Web site is offline.  Are they going through another bankruptcy?  Does anybody know?
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

Quote from: GreenMachine on February 17, 2014, 12:09:06 PMI see Precision isn't doing any 2014 RFR trackdays and the RFR Web site is offline.  Are they going through another bankruptcy?  Does anybody know?

What I have heard is the condition of the track is so bad that it's basically unusable at this point.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

So it wasn't just me getting beat up last year.  I remember thinking I couldn't go back out after the first TTRC practice session.  Somehow I did and I didn't feel too tired for most of it, until the very end.  I was basically hanging on for dear life and going much slower than I could have otherwise.  It was a great workout no doubt.  But if others felt the same way, it was probably too dangerous to continue putting on events.

cobra23

I find it very sad that the track is basically useless for motorcycles. I worked there for about 5 years off and on. Honestly it has changed hands a few too many times. I could also give you a full report on which people had it right and which had it wrong. That is locked up in my head, because no one on this forum would agree with the assessment.

It started in 2007 when I showed up at the tack on a Saturday morning after moving here from Washington State to "volunteer" for the staff; this was the Jeremy Cable era, I was basically almost laughed at by Jeremy for doing so. Not a great start. (P.S. I am V.P. of a Machine Shop so not hurting for work). I will tell you Jeremy did NOT have it right.

Having a near 4 mile track nearby is amazing. I still think there are still possibilities.. for instance if you are new to track riding, the condition is not as much of a problem, the bumps are less of an issue at slower speeds. Rocks and dirt obviously are a big issue, but that is a simple matter of running the sweeper maybe one more lap.

The track is now in worse shape than tracks in Washington. WMRRA would show up very early on practice day, corner workers would be sweeping the corners (not straightaways) before the track went hot and between each session; they took "a clean track" it very seriously. They and I were all volunteers. Spokane had many bumps but I do not recall any tar snakes except the one that mended the road course to the drag strip.

Eventually WMRRA stopped racing at Spokane due to lack of runoff. Seattle is still used while in theory you can run off and hit a tree at Pacific Raceway http://pacificraceways.com/Index.aspx  WMRRA bought air-fence to protect in high risk zones.There is runoff at RFR. Run off is a very big deal, you can complain about bumps and dirt but bad runoff can kill you. http://wmrra.com/trackinfo.html

The Bumps now are very bad at RFR, last track day I was intentionally slowing down to avoid a few. That beats the crap out of suspension, and when you use up all the compression you have a traction issue, which makes it unsafe.

I love the track. Even I was very surprised at how dirty it was the last time I rode it. I recently tried to contact the last Manager, and he referred me to someone else, as he is no longer working there. Another rotation. When I ride a track day, I always talk with a couple corner workers to see how it is going, last year it was not going well for them.

I think it has died. Very sad.