Main Menu

Plug or patch a tubeless tire?

Started by TRex, July 04, 2013, 04:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRex

Hi folks,

While doing some chain maintenance I discovered a nail in my fairly new (~1000 miles) rear tire. Google search has turned up conflicting answers. Some people say they can't be reliably repaired, others say they can. What are your thoughts  and experiences on the topic? I use the bike for work commute and spirited rides on the twisities whenever I can manage. No trackdays. Thanks.

squirrel

I have plugged tires on my brothers bike and my own. not sure if it is the best way but it lasted the life of the tire. also same type of riding you are doing. I have been lead to believe that patching is better though. no chance of it ripping out.

are you sure it went all the way through, i.e air loss. I had similar thing last year and it didn't make it through.

KKM

Hot patch from the inside. Plugs work but is it worth the risk.
Kevin
2009 Aprilia RSV1000R
2012 KTM990R ADV
2013 KTM 500XCW

GreenMachine

Assuming it's into the core, you could chance it with a good amount of tire patch glue in the hole and a patch on the inside, but only for commuting.  I don't think it'll bust open.  Probably just slow leak if anything.

Still wouldn't chance it on a long voyage or with spirited/high speed riding.  For that, get a tire that will safely take you past guardrails and cliffs.

$hit happens.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

TRex

Thanks for the input everyone. I pulled the nail out and its a biggins and pretty close to the wall of the tire. I think I'll play it safe and drop the $100ish on a new tire.

TRex

Got the new tire in and had it mounted on the rim. :) I've got some other maintenance and cosmetic things to do while I have the bike down though. Just waiting on parts to come in. Looks like another week down. I really need to invest in another bike for these situations :P

On a side note: Are there any motorcycle salvage yards in Reno or Sparks??

Aragamoto

That is safe choice TRex.  I would do the same, since we ride our life on those tires, not to the mention the soul ;).
Aragamoto