Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

Electrical Diagnostic

Started by RocketRider, May 14, 2013, 02:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RocketRider

Alright so I've got a weird one for you guys...Now that I've made plans to attend the track my poor ol' girl (96' CBR 900) decided to have a heart attack on me (shortly after 60k miles on the clock)

My battery is dieing, only about 2 months old. Fired up no fuss this morning (and has been reliably regardless of temps). Died close to my work after about 25-30 miles, Speedo suddenly died and when I let the RPM's drop below 4k the engine died. Shove her to work, charge the battery, pop it back in and head out. Makes it about 15 miles and the Speedo dies (indicating to me a dead battery). Indicator lights were also very dim. The bike suddenly gives up the ghost despite relatively high rpm. Coast to a stop, jiggle bits I had messed with, and was able to bump start it. Get going and about 1 mi down the bike dies again. For what ever reason I decided to hit the starter while I was coasting (clutch engaged still) and the bike suddenly starts running. No Speedo but the engine was running. Let off the button, engine dies again, push the button and off she goes again. Said F*ck it and rode at ridiculously obnoxious RPMs while holding the start button the rest of the way home. Quite literally at the gates to home the bike gives up the ghost, no combination of button pushing, lever throwing, RPMs, or jiggling wires could coax her back to life.

First thing I'm going to check is stator and rectifier...but does the starter button thing set off any red flags for any one? Seems odd...

UPDATE:
Blown rectifier. Brown oozy stuff coming out of it. No voltage change when revving the bike. Stator has low resistance across all three wires. Ebay has lots of chinese ones...any one know good aftermarkets? Is there a bike junkyard in Reno?
PIN IT TO WIN IT!

Please support my race team Rocket Pace Racing!https://www.facebook.com/RocketPaceRacing
We're accepting everything from Sponsors, to Facebook likes, to simple pats on the back :)

Thank you Apex-Speed and EBC Brakes for supporting our efforts to go faster!

GreenMachine

If they're still in business, yes.  There's in the business park near Longley and S. McCarran.  I'll look up the address and phone number in an old post.  Just have to find it. 
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

Found it.  They're still active.  All their contact information is in the post <here>.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RocketRider

Called, no go. Thanks though! Now I have a place to try to Frankenstein my bike back together if anything else dies. lol
PIN IT TO WIN IT!

Please support my race team Rocket Pace Racing!https://www.facebook.com/RocketPaceRacing
We're accepting everything from Sponsors, to Facebook likes, to simple pats on the back :)

Bigcat

I may have a possible solution. I had the same thing happen to me on my blackbird but on a group ride. Fried the battery over by Strawberry. I ended up getting two replacement rectifiers. Research recommended an R1 replacement part over the Honda so I ordered both but never used the R1 part. I'll see if I can find it and pm you. If it will work it's yours.

RocketRider

Ended up Ebaying a used 98 CBR 900 rectifier. Looked identical...hopefully is. Will update next week when I get it!
PIN IT TO WIN IT!

RocketRider

Closing this one out.
98 CBR 900 rectifier implanted with a borrowed battery (long story) and she's tickin' over again. Battery shows ~ 13V idling and moves to about 14.5 with Revs. Now for the forks and rear shock and...
PIN IT TO WIN IT!