Main Menu

How to use the SSA rider forum - navigation, posting & searching

Started by GreenMachine, October 12, 2014, 01:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

The SSA rider forum is built around a stock 'user forum' package.  Most of what you see is 'non-editable fixed code,' while some of it is customizable.

So I could go into boring detail about the layout of the site, but I won't.  I also won't go into heavy detail about what it takes to post on a forum.  If you're not already familiar with how to navigate a Web page on the Internet or create and edit a post, this isn't the place to learn.  I have to make some assumptions, much like when you ride with us on our group rides, I assume you know how to brake and accelerate.

What I will try to cover in this post and subsequent posts, are the things about the SSA forum that may be different from other forums.  My hope is that in the process of doing so, you'll find the SSA site easier to use.

1) I'll begin with the SSA Calendar. Here you can add a calendared event that will appear at the bottom of the SSA home page, titled Upcoming Events.  

Calendar events can take two different forms:

a) as an item on the calendar alone or
b) the default, which is as you add the calendar event, you will also create a linked new post topic.

Start by selecting the Post Event button at the bottom of the calendar.  You should abbreviate in the Event Title box, because it's limited to 30 characters.  Next, select the date and duration of your calendared event.  If it's a one-day ride, the number of days is always 1.

The Link Event box is for if you want to also automatically add a linked post, which you will fill in later.  And if you do want to link to a new post, from the drop-down button, please select which thread you'd like it to be placed in.  The default is General Discussion.  Also, where we put most ride invite events.

That's pretty much all there is to calendar events.   Admins have the ability to cancel or correct, so if you get too crazy with too many events, you can expect some push back.  But otherwise, it's your forum.  You are encouraged to have fun with it.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

2)  It's no secret there are areas that can only be viewed when logged in.  So when you are logged into the SSA forum, give the main page another look.  There's probably more there than when you were logged in last time.

This is by design and many forums do the same thing.   Explore and ye shall find.  But you have to login to find out.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

3) Making your own forum poll.
a) First you must be in a general forum area.  I'll use General Discussion as a general forum area, but you should be aware of where you are creating your poll, so that it is placed in an area related to your poll question.
b) Select New Poll from the title bar and ask your proposed poll question
c) fill in the various options, poll duration, number of votes per member, etc...
d) fill in some helpful topic information into the poll's subject body, [optional] Preview, then Post

If you make or see a mistake, you can edit your poll to correct it, but it's cleaner to Preview and edit your new thread poll before posting.