Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

Going over 150 MPH

Started by GreenMachine, February 10, 2013, 07:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

I'm catching that riders that are going this fast over rises in the road where the front end comes up, say they touch their rear brake to get the nose down.

Really?  Is there that much aerodynamic pressure to cause the bike to come all the way over?

Advice from you experienced high-speed and wheelie guys?
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Dragone

not sure on the speed.  But I preferred to drag the rear brake while staying with the throttle control at ORP on that down hill section.  Not sure on the mph, but generally play with 3rd gear and 143ish.  wind gusts and direction not known.  The 10r likes to be man handled.  I am still trying to ride fast at RFR but never had to use the the rear brake much there.  The 500 does not get close to those speeds, so no rear drag used.  LOL

dub

Quote from: GreenMachine on February 10, 2013, 07:45:30 PMIs there that much aerodynamic pressure to cause the bike to come all the way over?

I'm not an experience high-speed wheelie guy, but I don't understand the question.

If you are wide open and the road falls away from you, the front end may just come up off the ground.  Dragging the rear brake slightly will bring it back down without having to roll off.  The concern isn't that the wind will somehow catch the bike and loop it, it's that you can't turn the bike with the front wheel in the air.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

Those pretty much answer my question.  Having the front wheel off the ground under control isn't one of my strong points and something I'm going to leave for practicing on a bicycle or dirt bike.  I'll have to concentrate on the rear brake trick.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.