Main Menu

Racing Schools/Novice Level Races

Started by RocketRider, May 06, 2013, 10:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RocketRider

Can anyone give recommendations on racing schools/how to get into novice level racing? For this year I basically want to do the equivalent of a "competitive track day". I want to be able to roll up with my street machine, make it track safe (lights, mirrors, oil pan, etc), go nuts then put it back on the street til next time. TTP looked promising but their website seems out of date. Are they still going?
PIN IT TO WIN IT!

Please support my race team Rocket Pace Racing!https://www.facebook.com/RocketPaceRacing
We're accepting everything from Sponsors, to Facebook likes, to simple pats on the back :)

Thank you Apex-Speed and EBC Brakes for supporting our efforts to go faster!

GreenMachine

It sounds like you want to do a typical trackday, only competitive.  Most trackday hosts have rider skill groupings, like A, B, C, where C is novice/beginner.  Most hosts have a skilled A/B group rider/racer who you can contact at the track and who will ride with you to show you around, the lines and how to properly negotiate a certain track.  You can do all that with your street bike if it is properly maintained, has a fairly fresh set of rubber (no balled tires), and you have race leathers/boots/gloves.  In other words, if you bike is streetworthy.  They won't let you take a bike on the track that you are experimenting with brake fluids and the brakes may be sketchy, the bike leaks oil out of the fork seals or may present a hazard in any other way to any other rider or yourself.  

For more information, see the Trackday Bike prep page <here>.

If you have all that, RFR has a trackday coming up in two weeks, I believe, and other nearby tracks in California have many upcoming events.  See our links <here>.

As for TTP, I believe they too have rules for how to qualify to race in their events.  They don't want unknown quantities within their races, they want skilled riders that know how to ride in close quarters safely with other riders at competitive speeds; safely being the key.  I know of one rider who is in the TTP ranks and this is the formula he had to follow.  If you place high enough, which is very difficult given the competition, you can be eligible to receive an amateur race license and move up from there.  If I were you, I'd find their contact phone number/E-mail and converse with someone about your skill level and how to go about accomplishing what it is you dream of doing.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

How much experience do you have riding on the track?

TTP is no more.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

RocketRider

I think Ive attended about 7-8 track days on 3 different bikes (GSXR 750, SV650 and my current CBR 900). Done some car track days too and 1 Lemons race...so I have track experience. On the CBR 900 I am a high level B, low level A rider...still getting accustomed to the power and need the (rear) suspension to be freshened up before I push harder...also need to get in shape, lol.

I said "competitive track day" because I know I am not quite at a "racer" level. I am comfortable in close quarters, know general lines, and am comfortable late braking, but I am still learning my machine...learning to trust it I guess. I plan on attending track days @ Fernley this year, but would like to do at least one novice race this year to introduce myself to the experience :)
PIN IT TO WIN IT!

Please support my race team Rocket Pace Racing!https://www.facebook.com/RocketPaceRacing
We're accepting everything from Sponsors, to Facebook likes, to simple pats on the back :)

dub

It sounds like although you may not be fastest guy out there (which is perfectly fine), you have the experience, knowledge and skill to ride at a quick pace around others safely.

The organization for club racing in Northern California is the AFM.  But it sounds like that is maybe a step further than you want to take it.  Racing with the AFM involves receiving certification from a New Racer School, becoming a member of the club to obtain your competition license and bike prep is a little more involved than just removing your mirrors and taping your lights.

There may be another option that you are interested in, I'll PM you.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

TTPRacing

Quote from: dub on May 07, 2013, 08:06:55 AM
How much experience do you have riding on the track?

TTP is no more.

TTP is still existent.  We just converted to an actual race club with a board of directors instead of the old format, which was a business entity.

TTP is now TTRC , which stands for Twisted Track Racing Club.

We have a race date at RFR August 3rd (Saturday) this season. We are running a bracket race format so to speak.  Meaning no more engine displacements for categories.  We are running a 1,2,3 bracket format, 1 being the fastest time bracket and 3 being the slowest time bracket.  What this means is you are gridded with riders of your experience and lap times.  So for example if you are running a R6 with a lap time of 2:49 on C course, and you have a rider on a GSXR1000 running a similar lap time, then we grid you in that lap time bracket.  This format is now based on rider skills rather than bike cc size.

This club is based off riders who are interested in a bit more of a race format but yet not the full experience of AFM.  It basically gets your feet wet for racing.  It helps you decide if you would rather do this with our club from time to time or if you would rather commit and go to the AFM.  Big Budget difference between the two.

This season we have a 1 day event and it is a race& bbq.  We race Saturday and we have the track past 5pm for a bbq for everyone that afternoon. Cost to race this event is $200 dollars.

We will also be holding a $79 dollar track day with an option for lap timers if you desire (cost an additional $20) that Saturday in which any rider can ride.  It is an open format, so no A,B or C groups.  Open riding from 9am-12pm. That's 3 hours of unlimited riding, which is more than you get during a full 1 day track day. After 12p, riders can feel free to hang out for the races and the bbq. Races begin at 1pm.

Rocket Rider, if this is something that interested you, give me a shout at 775-338-4126 and I can give you more details.

Here is our closed group forum on Facebook. If your interested in racing, I can add you to the group. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/151874561643061/

RocketRider

Perfect thanks all!
TTP I'll shoot you a message first but I will get a phone call to you in the near future too for quick questions! Your organization sounds exactly like what I am looking for, an introduction to competitive track riding (as well as a quick "see the track" before hand)! Hoping I can keep my calender and funds clear for that day! Stoked out of my mind to be with active riders again you have no clue...
PIN IT TO WIN IT!

GreenMachine

I don't have a Fb account, but I'll talk with SkydiverDCM about signing up for the open track event.  That sounds right up my alley.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

TTPRacing

Quote from: GreenMachine on May 08, 2013, 02:56:01 PM
I don't have a Fb account, but I'll talk with SkydiverDCM about signing up for the open track event.  That sounds right up my alley.

If you have questions call me - 775-338-4126

Always can use more familiar faces at the race/bbq day.

RenoRider75

I won't be ready for the track yet in August, but watching the race and eating some BBQ is right up my alley.   :D

What would watching the race / eating BBQ cost?