Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

Rotella T6 5w40

Started by bishop777, March 17, 2012, 09:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bishop777

hey guys im sure this a pretty common question, but how do most of you guys feel about running rotella full synthetic in your bikes?
I have heard it is a really decent oil because of a high shear resistance, the amount of zinc and detergents as it is a diesel oil, and its use in wet clutches is good.  Thought I would see what most of you guys were running in terms of synthetic oil anyways.
Thanks bike is an 06 gsxr 6

GreenMachine

I think most everyone uses some form synthetic motor oil.  Some 4T, some not.  I don't know anything about Rotella and I'm not sure if there would be a compelling reason to.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

TWF

I use it all the time. It is good oil.

dub

It's not moto specific but still works well with wet clutches, Z?
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

bishop777

Ya I was just curious because I've seen that its $12 a gallon, and that rotella or shell has a motorcycle forum...Just trying to see if it is a common practice to run rotella t6 5w40. I guess the fact that it's $12 a gallon at Walmart was an eye catcher...I've also done pretty extensive research on it and have found it to have a high resistance to base breakdown, actually similar to amsoil as far as lab comparisons go....anyway just seeing...Im prolly gonna try it out and let u guys know how it goes. Thanks for the replies.

dub

I was searching around and read this:

"Though marketed as an engine oil for diesel trucks, Rotella oil has found popularity with motorcyclists as well. The lack of "friction modifiers" in Rotella means they do not interfere with wet clutch operations. ... Used oil analysis (UOA) reports on BobIsTheOilGuy.com have shown wear metals levels comparable to oils marketed as motorcycle-specific. ... Shell Rotella T 15W-40 conventional oil now lists on its packaging JASO MA as one of the specifications it meets, as does the Rotella website product page.  Note that the 10W-30 conventional oil does not list JASO-MA.  The newer fully synthetic T6 5W-40 oil also lists JASO-MA compliance on its packaging and on the Rotella website."

If the UOAs are good, Zoran says it's good and it's $12 a gallon, I'll give it a try.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

bishop777

Ya nice, that's what I saw also in my search for info...ya at $12 it's gonna be hard to beat, especially being Jaso-ma and it's superior shear resistance.  I'll be putting it in the bike this week.

TWF

If you don't see any on the shelf in walmart that is because I was just there. I buy a lot of it since my van is diesel, 16 quarts per change. :)

bishop777

Quote from: TWF on March 18, 2012, 05:23:26 PM
If you don't see any on the shelf in walmart that is because I was just there. I buy a lot of it since my van is diesel, 16 quarts per change. :)

haha looks like ill be doing the oil change next week then! hope it wasnt the damonte walmart lol

Justin

Rotella T6
I'm no tribologist but it feels pretty darn slippery.