Main Menu

Roll Call Group ride/hike Feather Falls. Saturday 06/11/11 10:00AM start

Started by GreenMachine, June 06, 2011, 08:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

Post here if you're going. 10:00 AM start.
This is a C pace ride and there's a 99% chance of dry warm conditions all the way to and from.  We'll have to pack in and out all of our gear.  Bring a camera.  Hike is 6 miles total.  Temps are forecast to be mid-80s.  :chilling

There's a Sunday ride I'll also be leading.  So if you miss this ride, there's always Sunday.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

22SLOW

I am interested in going as well as Scott & his wife Dee.  C pace would be great as she is getting used to her bike.  Do we really have to hike 6 MILES in gear...not much I can fit in my back pack & still get into shorts & tennis shoes.  Where do you keep your helmet & leathers during this trek?? Would hate to ride home in shorts......

Also is 9:30 the take off time @ starbucks...80/McCarren?

GreenMachine

When I did this two years ago I rode in blue jeans, tennis shoes and mesh armored jacket.  I place two sandal thongs inside my jeans for knee protection.  Without luggage or a support vehicle, it is what it is. Thus C pace.  I made a dress rehearsal at home to see what I would need and where I could put everything.  I was able to put valuables into either storage under the back seat or in a backpack.  Helmet went to the helmet lock under the passenger seat as well, stuffed with a fleece pullover.  I have a spare passenger helmet hook under my seat if you'd like to use it.  The parking lot is developed blacktop offering shade.  Parking shouldn't be a problem for MCs.

Yes. <North route departure>.  9:30AM is the scheduled departure, but I think we can be flexible on that.  Do you want to change it to 10AM or 10:30AM? I put 6 miles for the hike loop distance, but there are actually two trails that lead back to the falls.  Online it says the hike distance is 8.8 miles total, but that may be the loop distance of the 'easy' trail.  I know the 'easy' trail can be jogged for much of it, since I walked out on the 'hard short' trail and ran back on the 'easy' trail.  The shorter trail, with more elevation change, is somewhat more scenic, from a vegetation and creek standpoint.  

Bring a small amount of food & water.  Feather Falls doesn't have a Wendy's, in fact, they only have one bar.

This area is very dense in places and gets an astonishing amount of annual rainfall.  It was once inhabited by California Indians and there are historical landmarks along the trail depicting such.  Near the falls there is a viewing platform that overlooks the canyon.  A little further back people generally cool off in the stream above the falls, just like you see at Yosemite's Vernal Falls.  Don't know what the CFPS flow rate is this year, but a feet dip should be very possible without the danger of being swept over the falls.  There is a fenced viewing area at the fall edge.  I imagine with the volume of water going over, there should be a decent amount of cooling mist.

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

22SLOW

Me, Scott & DeeDra will be there @ 10:00 am....can you wait for us please.

Thanks Suzanne

GreenMachine

Sure, 10:00AM.  If the ride down is anything like today, it'll be awesome riding weather.

GreenMachine

Hope everyone made it home okay.  

Here's what Suzanne rode 340 miles to get.

I'm sure one of these days, she'll look back on today and have a good laugh.

22SLOW

Well unfortunately it didn't work out to be a 6 mile hike...it was 4.2+4.2+.5+.5 so my math gets me around 9.2 miles...but who's counting.  What it did give me a blister on left ball of foot, right knee pain from compensating for the blister, severe hip pain, & a very sore ass. :'(

GM, at least you could have put up the falls pictures to remind me of what I am in pain for!!

Thanks for being a great tour guide....something a little less work next time would be great!! :)

ps...looks like I'm smokin a dubbie.  It was really a band-aid!!!

It wil be an experience I will never forget :)

DatZX9Girl

I'm thinking you might have had a much more enjoyable time up there if it had been a dubie!! ROFL  ;D  Just kidding, of course.  It had it's pros and cons, but on the bright side, it was great to have someone more my speed to ride with and I will never forget the experience!

GM:  Sorry we missed you at Great Basin.  Scott and I had to pull over.  My hands were so stiff I couldn't pull my clutch in anymore.  We stopped at Great Basin after we left Bordertown, but didn't see you, so we assumed you ended up going home and so we did as well.  Thanks so much for taking us!  It was a first for me, for sure, and some really awesome scenery during the day!   :)
If you can't beat em...join em, at least half way!

GreenMachine

Glad you're both not too upset with me.  I have the pictures from yesterday in a SSA directory, but I have to make a picture table for them.

Suzanne and I saw you two pull off at Bordertown, so we pulled off at the next exit.  Suzanne was really hurting by then.  Out of mercy, I sent her on her way and waited what seemed like 20 minutes.  I figured you guys had a change of plan.  Sorry I didn't make Great Basin.  But another time for sure!  I love you guys!
I was so worn out from yesterday's due-athlon (ride-hike-ride) I slept in until 8:45 AM.  :hangover
Then I threw on my gear and headed out for day two of the riding festivities.  (See the thread for Sunday's MRR ride).   :GrnWheelie  I'll post all the pics here in then next hour, including the pics from today.  That TahoeBrian is a madman!!

GreenMachine