Main Menu

Memorial Day weekend - Fortuna/Ft. Bragg Group Ride - taking reservations

Started by GreenMachine, April 21, 2011, 10:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

This ride has been canceled due to weather concerns.  Sorry folks.

Memorial Day weekend
This is the only overnight ride scheduled to the California coast this year.  I have already reserved one double queen-size room, which could accommodate a minimum of two adults for $50/ea, less if there are more people willing to share, max 4.  They ask an additional $5 for each adult.  All riders of all skill levels are welcome to attend.   The more the merrier and with numbers comes safety and convenience, in case their are flat tires or other unforeseen breakdowns.

It was suggested that we stay in Fortuna, CA, because there's a pub across the street from the where we are staying and both are recommended.  :thumbup
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

Wills/BigCat,

Seeking input on Mt. Etna, as far as, best route to take in as many cool roads and sights as possible.  Should I change the overnight plans from Fortuna to Eureka or Arcata?  

Proposed Day 1 route Reno, Quincy, Oroville, Redding, Weaverville, Hayfork, Fortuna, Trinidad???

Proposed Day 2 route Eureka, Avenue of the Giants, Hwy 1, Ft. Bragg, Willits, Clear Lake, Yuba City, Reno.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

wills

If we go to Etna, then the best route is 36 west from Red Bluff to Rt 3 north (turn off at Wildwood). Rt 3 will take you right to Callahan and on some real nice tight turns. I have done this route and it is fun. I changed the map. CLICK HERE

If we go to Fortuna, then 36 can be taken to Wildwood, then go north to connect to 289, or if time is short continue west on 36.

It's against the rules to ride on Rt 5, unless we are riding Road Kings with straight pipes. :-[

289 is a heavily used road whilst 36 is less populated and conducive to our style.

If we go to Etna it's a full day's ride there as well as coming home, so we would not have time to go to the coast.

Let's stick with Fortuna for the 1st night, and the Rt 20 return route. Etna should be a 2 night stay so we can ride all 5 passes in 1 day while we are there. This is something I do a couple of times each year, something we can add to the schedule.
Stop Global Whining!
2015 1200RS
2018 H2 SE
Old Sprint Back East

GreenMachine

Wills, what are you smoking?  289? Wildwood?  I don't see those anywhere on the map, but I think I have an idea of what you were referring to.  If we head straight for Fortuna via Hwy 36, the distance is reduced from my above Day One Rt map of ~575 miles, down to ~368.  And, like you're saying, if we feel there's time, we could split off Hwy 36 at the Hwy 3 North junction head up to Weaverville and take Hwy 299 round-about to Fortuna, like this.

I'm good either way.  Passing slow lumber trucks is a dangerous drag if we can avoid it.  Heck, if we arrive in Fortuna early enough, I might just head up the coast to Trinidad and rattle off some snapshots along the coast.  

I love doing these coastal adventures!  Can you tell?

wills

Stop Global Whining!
2015 1200RS
2018 H2 SE
Old Sprint Back East

GreenMachine

:terrified That's a one lane road.  Are you sure you want to take that route?

wills

Stop Global Whining!
2015 1200RS
2018 H2 SE
Old Sprint Back East

GreenMachine

I forgot.  The ride is a proving ground for manhood.  :-\

So let me see if I get this straight.  If a female rider joins the ride, what should they expect to gain from these tests?  Nevermind.  I don't think we need to find out.

wills

Quote from: GreenMachine on April 24, 2011, 09:37:20 PM
I forgot.  The ride is a proving ground for manhood.  :-\

So let me see if I get this straight.  If a female rider joins the ride, what should they expect to gain from these tests?  Nevermind.  I don't thing we need to find out.

Relax, it's a nice paved road with many pretty sights. Have I ever steered you wrong before? (OK once for Oregon Ridge, your favorite :D)

Don't let the SuperMod status corrupt you.
Stop Global Whining!
2015 1200RS
2018 H2 SE
Old Sprint Back East

n10sive

Paging Gloria Alred, paging Gloria Alred to the white courtesy phone. :)
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

GreenMachine

Took me a second.  :crackup  Good one n10sive!

Wills, be nice or I'll bust you down to 'still crashing in the driveway!'  Ah yes, Oregon Hill Road a nice sh-sh-sh-sh-sh-ort-ort-ort-ort c-c-c-c-c-c-c-ut-ut-ut-ut-ut.   :cuckoo  Great!

GreenMachine

Wills,

I found another Oregon Hill road out on my drive yesterday.  Omo Ranch road, off Hwy 88.  14 miles of MX bumpiness.  It's paved and would otherwise make a great sportbike road, but buuuummmpy.

Can't say it's a shortcut to anything however, like Oregon Hill road is.

Scott

you can take 88 to Omo Ranch Rd. to Slug Gulch and it will drop you smack in the middle of Fairplay on Perry Creek Rd.
GSX-R600

GreenMachine

This ride has been canceled due to weather concerns.  Sorry folks.