Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

TTP race weekend

Started by youngster775, September 06, 2010, 10:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngster775

So, I finally get to post up in the racers section! what a weekend! It was an unbelievable experience! so much to take in and so much going thru my head... all the emotions, nerves, and fear... but I made it! I fulfilled my goal and I'm proud of myself for doing so. the class was soo great, the instructors, and other racers were so helpful with all my noob questions. what a great experience for my 1 year anniversary of riding motorcycles.
So, to start a very frustrating trackday for me on friday, It felt like it was my very first time ever at RFR! I had a head full of garbage and couldnt put it aside because I was too concerned that I was the slowest guy and I'll just be in the way, and put this huge stress on my shoulders that caused me to ride like crap. Then thanks to Alberto for snapping me out of it and taking me out for a session just to play, I forgot all about my fears and just rode that R6. I turned a 3:06 and was happy with that. we ended the day on a good note.
Then Saturday came a I was freaking out about being tested with passing drills, race starts, etc..... I rode tense and couldnt put 2 corners together! Jeez how do I relax! self destruction! passing drills were going just ok, then comes Dan Sewell around my outside to stuff me, and it made me laugh! come to find out, he was there to stay! we went back and forth pushing each other off our lines and I was just laughing inside me helmet! I wondered if he could hear me laughing with excitement.... I passed and was on to the race starts.. the moment I was waiting for... WHAT A RUSH! nothing like taking off like a bat outta hell just to try and squeeze thru T-1! I felt great for these and did better than I expected... another pass and tommorrow it's time to RACE!
The first heat race is here and my nerves were rattled! try working a clutch with shakey hands! I tried to calm and got a great hole shot and pushed my way thru. bikes everywhere I looked and I just kept on pushing.. the chase was on and I did my best! I held my lines and just rode! by the third lap I was soo tired I thought I couldn't make it the rest of the way but I kept pushing... after my checkered I was relieved! I've never leaned over that far or went into corners that hot! WOW! I ended up with a personal best of 3:03!
Then came the final race, I was more calm consoling myself with how well the first one went... we launched and away we went... once again, bikes everywhere squeezing thru.... I got into the hoot-n-holler a little hot and I felt my front end slide what felt to be a couple feet. and from that moment my confidence was GONE! I tried to relax and get back to racing, I was tense and watched everybody pull away.. by the second lap I couldnt make up ground, and I was super tense... I looked back and saw someone behind me and at that moment I said "I cant catch up to those guys so I just want to finish safely and not finish last" so I backed down to 90% trying to find a groove and just went thru the motions... and the race was over. I was happy with that and gained soo much experience. I'll be ready for the next one!
I want to thank everybody for their support, my family, and friends! thanks for the comforting talks and advice.....
http://youngster775.smugmug.com/photos/swfpopup.mg?AlbumID=13653987&AlbumKey=W576s
2006 R1-50th,2004 R6 trackbike,2005 GSXR-600,2001 ZX6 trackbike,2005 YZ-250F

TTPRacing

GOOD JOB PAUL!!!!!   You rocked it!  All of you Open Street Guys rocked it. As you can see the actual racing is much different then a track day. I knew you and everyone else who stepped up could do this!

Great post!

Rick Bay (BRA)

Wow Paul, you're the men buddy.
I was felling your emotions when I was reading your post above. Men, I can not believe I missed this opportunity for racing with friends.
Good job Paul. The pics are awesome I felt all your emotions just reading it.
Thanks a lot for sharing with us.

sparkygixxer

Adiggity

Good job Paul. Your officially a racer now! Congrats.  8)

D1NO

Great job brotha!!! Like Rick said, Great reading... felt all your emotions :respect Wish i was there with you guys...

youngster775

Quote from: D1NO on September 09, 2010, 09:29:37 PM
Great job brotha!!! Like Rick said, Great reading... felt all your emotions :respect Wish i was there with you guys...
Thank you and I wish you were there too brotha! I've been meaning to call ya, I'll do that soon!  :banana2
2006 R1-50th,2004 R6 trackbike,2005 GSXR-600,2001 ZX6 trackbike,2005 YZ-250F

dr1150

Paul, Sounds like you had the time of your life. GOOD JOB GREAT PIC'S
"You start the game of life with a full pot o' luck and an empty pot
o' experience... The object is to fill the pot of experience before you
empty the pot of luck."

A DRAGON

Paul so happy you got your head straight.  You did well. 
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

cobra23

Excellent read Paul!!

You look like a pro in those photos!!