Main Menu

SSA Reno/Fernley Trackdays Roll Call 09/18- 09/19

Started by GreenMachine, August 02, 2010, 11:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A DRAGON

Wow!!! I did something right.  I was talking to some people tonight and I thought I had crashed on Sunday.   What a clown I am.  It was Saturday.  This retirement is something I'm going to have to get used to.  To many things to remember    :cheers     Thanks for putting up with me JP.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

Jp_Rio

Just to prove how trackdays DO improve your riding skills, I thought about posting these pictures on the forum.

Do not get me wrong here, I am not saying that I am an awesome rider or anything like that (which I am really not, yet...  ;D ;D) but I thought of posting these because we see all these nice pictures of the fast guys on the track dragging at LEAST their knee and, at least myself, always wondered: Have they started their trackdays having this type of riding skills?? And everybody that I ask always say no, that they started knowing nothing or almost nothing... but....come on...is really hard to picture that guy that drags his elbow having difficulties with his body positioning. So I thought it would be a good feedback to whoever is thinking about doing a trackday or either thinks that will not get there because does not have the "required" positioning or whatever mental block it is...

As you can see, the only thing I am comparing here is myself with MYSELF and I did notice a HUGE difference on the way I used to ride motorcycles not too long ago.

The pictures where I am with the yellow helmet were taken on my first trackday, in June, and the ones that i am with my black one were taken this last Saturday! So if you are ever wondering if doing a trackday would improve your riding skills... I think you already know the answer!! :cheers

If you want to become a better rider and also want some fun and thrill, the track is the place for you to be!

Peace!

:howdy

01 by Jhonnybraz, on Flickr
01 by Jhonnybraz, on Flickr

02 by Jhonnybraz, on Flickr
02 by Jhonnybraz, on Flickr

What?? Trackday?? I'm in!!!

Jp_Rio

And I would love if I could upload pictures to the forum...  :hbang

youngster775

2006 R1-50th,2004 R6 trackbike,2005 GSXR-600,2001 ZX6 trackbike,2005 YZ-250F

dragxs11

Quote from: Jp_Rio on September 22, 2010, 06:59:02 PM
that they started knowing nothing or almost nothing... If you want to become a better rider and also want some fun and thrill, the track is the place for you to be!
:howdy

I've been doing this four years and just hit a 2:38 last sat.  I'd run a 2:53 all the time up until this summer.  Spent a lot of time at RFR on T&T days with no help just figurin out for myself.  But orgs. like SSA can cut a lot of time out with the help of instructors/vendors.  Still, it takes a desire to improve as well.  A more confident and relaxed street experience, I think most notice right away after a track day or two.  Some of us get hooked so bad we quit street riding for the most part.

youngster775

I've been doing this four years and just hit a 2:38 last sat.  I'd run a 2:53 all the time up until this summer.  Spent a lot of time at RFR on T&T days with no help just figurin out for myself.  But orgs. like SSA can cut a lot of time out with the help of instructors/vendors.  Still, it takes a desire to improve as well.  A more confident and relaxed street experience, I think most notice right away after a track day or two.  Some of us get hooked so bad we quit street riding for the most part.
[/quote]
So, It's official... I'm hooked ^ that bad!^
2006 R1-50th,2004 R6 trackbike,2005 GSXR-600,2001 ZX6 trackbike,2005 YZ-250F

n10sive

LOL Paul. The bad quote had me thinking YOU said you hit 2:38 and I was like WOW!!! Things REALLY DID click with you this year! LOL
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

Jp_Rio

Quote from: youngster775 on September 22, 2010, 10:17:33 PM
use photobucket.  :squidly

Photobucket??  :headscratch Is that a joke or does it really exist?? If so, what is that?

Hummm...gotcha! Is something like flickr and i can go ahead and paste the url of the picture! Thanks Paul. I'll do that later!

Jp_Rio

Quote from: n10sive on September 23, 2010, 08:49:02 AM
LOL Paul. The bad quote had me thinking YOU said you hit 2:38 and I was like WOW!!! Things REALLY DID click with you this year! LOL

I thought the same thing n10sive!!  ;D :agree

dragxs11

Having said that... There are a number of factors that played into making that time.  I snagged this Gixxer 1000 in April endowed with Ohlins internals up front and rear shock.  SPL tuned it for RFR and provided the slicks.  Dave Moss tweaked my suspension.  I learned about monitoring tire pressure throughout the day.  Also fixed a stuck piston in the rear brake caliper making it actually usefull.  Next move is gearing as I barely use 6th if at all and want to stay in 2nd at times rather than 1st.  Otherwise I just sit and wait for the tires to struggle turn by turn, and so far they haven't.  I don't think I've changed much, but the bike is definitely better that my former SRAD.

Jp_Rio

Finally got the pictures up! And thanks for "4the riders" for supporting the sport and doing this amazing job at RFR, not only by taking pictures but also helping out new riders like me with feedback and tips on what to do when out there.

Quote from: dragxs11 on September 23, 2010, 04:12:37 AM

Could have not said it better myself. The first two "bold" statements are very important when trying to improve your riding skills. Desire to improve should be a constant in your life on anything, but if you really wanna get better on the track, dedication is the key. I learned so much about bikes, riding techniques and motorcycle stuff in general in the last couple of months that it's hard to describe. Watching videos and reading books are a great tool to become a better rider (before my first trackday I watched a video of one lap of RFR more than 20 times, so I would have a fairly good idea of where the turns were. And believe me, that helps  ;D)

The other thing is figuring out by yourself. It's very nice when you are new to the track having the instructors showing you the lines and all that. But at a certain point, that starts to get into your way. You need to get out there and start figuring out stuff by yourself and, at least myself, when I have some one in front of me, I can't really focus on that (Steve saw it). So get a ride with the instructors at the beginning, have them show you the lines, but then go by yourself so you can "taste" the track at your own and then share your experience with them back, and maybe go for another ride together. Then you will (or they) be able to see where you improved and where you are still missing stuff. You will always be missing stuff, but there is some stuff that you are going to figure out by yourself, no matter how hard someone tries to describe it to you, you gotta feel it.

And the last one...yeah, I guess I am another one that quit riding on the streets...

Congrats on the new time my friend. I can only believe that jumping from any lower than 2:50's on that track is something to be really proud of!  :cheers I really hope to get there one day!  :blackbike :flagbrazil

dragxs11

Looks like you've got good form there in the pics JP.  I've been working with my friend out there with his 07 R6 and he's currently running low 2:50's.  His bike is geared, hotbodied, slicked, and cat removed but he's struggling with rear grip for some reason and I run half throttle behind him on the front straight.  Next time out we'll switch and see if it's the rider or the bike.  But it may be that your current setup makes it hard to "comfortably" cut your times.  I remember feeling like my Gixxer750  couldn't do much better that low 2:50's, but I could be a better rider now too.

A DRAGON

JP your looking better and better every track day picture I see.  Good forum and looking through the turns well.  Your looking like  a man in control of his machine.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

Jp_Rio

Quote from: A DRAGON on October 08, 2010, 09:34:46 AM
JP your looking better and better every track day picture I see.  Good forum and looking through the turns well.  Your looking like  a man in control of his machine.

Thanks for the "words of wisdom", my president!  ;D   :-*  8)

Jp_Rio

Quote from: dragxs11 on September 29, 2010, 05:44:57 AM
Looks like you've got good form there in the pics JP.  I've been working with my friend out there with his 07 R6 and he's currently running low 2:50's.  His bike is geared, hotbodied, slicked, and cat removed but he's struggling with rear grip for some reason and I run half throttle behind him on the front straight.  Next time out we'll switch and see if it's the rider or the bike.  But it may be that your current setup makes it hard to "comfortably" cut your times.  I remember feeling like my Gixxer750  couldn't do much better that low 2:50's, but I could be a better rider now too.

Thanks buddy! But yeah, the bike does make a difference in certain circumstances... Specially if you are not feeling comfortable when riding it. That is a LOT in the "being a good rider" equation, I would say.

Let's see, the time to see if I am a "true rider" is coming and I am definitely up for the challenge. Hopefully I'll be able to see all those changes that you've noticed along your riding years and who knows, maybe share the asphalt with you some day! :thumbup