Main Menu

SSA Reno/Fernley Trackdays Roll Call 09/18- 09/19

Started by GreenMachine, August 02, 2010, 11:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adiggity

Quote from: dub on August 30, 2010, 03:00:28 PM

Too bad it's not a horse tag, you could just pick one off as you head down the back straight.

:D Nah, I enjoy getting away from people and chasing the critters around with none of the noises from living in the cities/towns. It's nice. I'll leave the drive-bys to the pros.  :D

andyhelfen

Hey Guys, I just joined the group.  I recently moved back to Lake Tahoe after being in Texas for over 10 years. Thanks for putting this site together definately helpful.  I took a ride to Sonora last weekend using one of your maps.  The Markleeville to Bear Valley section was sweeeet!

I have never done a track day or gotten my knee anywhere close to dragging.  I'm 39, been riding a few years, have a 2006 Ducati Supersport 800 and have the right gear.   My tire has good side tread but little worn in the middle from too many straightaways in Texas.. ha ha.  Is this ok?

What is the better day to go the 18th or 19th to meet people.  Also are there instructors for rookies like me?  I'd prefer to go my own pace and speed up throughout the day but don't want to hold people back around me.  Any advice?

Thanks!!!

Andy
2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 RR

Justino

I am really looking forward to heading out for this event with everyone,
It will be the first time in 2 years I can just ride.  For more than 2 years i've been working at making them great experiences for others...  It's my turn just to ride with my friends, it's 'Justino' time.
Thanks for holding the event.

Hey Andy.  Every SSA day I've ever been to has instruction, and you're in good hands with them.
You're on the right track just riding you own pace and speeding up when you are ready.
Lot's of trackday organizers want 'new or nearly new tires'   My personal rule is >60%
Also, Saturday usually has a couple more people, but both days are fine for meeting people.
I like Sunday more, cuz people are more relaxed at the conclusion of a two day event.

The folks here at the SSA will help you with your questions, but i thought I'd take a stab at some of them.   
    --- See you at the track :)    ---
Riding on the street is a lot like living with your parents.

A DRAGON

Quote from: andyhelfen on August 30, 2010, 11:21:06 PM
Hey Guys, I just joined the group.  I recently moved back to Lake Tahoe after being in Texas for over 10 years. Thanks for putting this site together definately helpful.  I took a ride to Sonora last weekend using one of your maps.  The Markleeville to Bear Valley section was sweeeet!

I have never done a track day or gotten my knee anywhere close to dragging.  I'm 39, been riding a few years, have a 2006 Ducati Supersport 800 and have the right gear.   My tire has good side tread but little worn in the middle from too many straightaways in Texas.. ha ha.  Is this ok?

What is the better day to go the 18th or 19th to meet people.  Also are there instructors for rookies like me?  I'd prefer to go my own pace and speed up throughout the day but don't want to hold people back around me.  Any advice?

Thanks!!!

Andy

Andyhelfen. No Problem with the instruction. We have instructors at the track to help make you a better rider. When you come out to the track remember this. We all started where you are right now. All of our staff is very eager and will be more than willing to help you make your experience at the Track very exciting.  You'll learn more in 1 day of track than several years on the street.  I can give you a list of things to bring if you need it.  Or you can just pit with me. 

I heard Michael Earnest Say: "But the stickiest tire you can find for the track. Think of it as an insurance policy"  When he said it I didn't really believe it. Now that I've done so many days at the track I've lost count.  I realize is very good advice. Also if you don't you'll still be OK if you use your Street compound at the track. Street compound is so much better now that it used to be.  If your center tread is down to the wear bar. Please replace it. You won't pass tech.  If you have a question on it. Bring it down to our bike night on Tuesday at La Vecchia and we'll take a look at it. We'll let you know what we think. 

Always happy to get some new riders on the track.  If you come out you'll be one of the ones we saved.  It's a good feeling.  Looking forward to seeing you at the track.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

Team Gorgonzola

Quote from: andyhelfen on August 30, 2010, 11:21:06 PM
Hey Guys, I just joined the group.  I recently moved back to Lake Tahoe after being in Texas for over 10 years. Thanks for putting this site together definately helpful.  I took a ride to Sonora last weekend using one of your maps.  The Markleeville to Bear Valley section was sweeeet!

I have never done a track day or gotten my knee anywhere close to dragging.  I'm 39, been riding a few years, have a 2006 Ducati Supersport 800 and have the right gear.   My tire has good side tread but little worn in the middle from too many straightaways in Texas.. ha ha.  Is this ok?

What is the better day to go the 18th or 19th to meet people.  Also are there instructors for rookies like me?  I'd prefer to go my own pace and speed up throughout the day but don't want to hold people back around me.  Any advice?

Thanks!!!

Andy

Yeahhhh another Ducatista ;D Andy, welcome to the site, if you liked Sonora, you are in for some amazing riding. At track days, sometimes we have more people on Saturdays and sometimes on Sunday. The core SSA'ers (quite a few) will be there both days. I'll be wearing a green staff shirt and will be the grid Manager for the morning sessions. Our sessions are usually separated in three groups: "A", "B" and "C". "A" for racers and fast/very experienced road and track day riders; (holding race lines and keep a fast pace while been predictable); "B": for experienced/strong road riders, with quite a few track days  experience (holding good lines at a slower than "A" pace, working at been predictable), and "C": for some experience on the road and very little or no track experience: (slower pace, no knowledge of lines, learning the basic track skills). "C" is where our instructors focus most of their effort. Do not worry about you holding anyone back. Even the fastest guy I know started out carefully and slowly. The racetrack is the right place to hone your skills. I am looking forward to meet you.

ps We host a bike night at La Vecchia Restaurant in Reno, 3501 st Virginia st from 6:00PM to 8/9:00PM. If you feel like it ride on down.  
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-

dub

Just found out a possible prior engagement have been chosen for thenext weekend of the 24th. 

Which means I'm IN for the track, w00t!!

Andy, where in Tahoe do you live?  I'm down on the South Shore.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

Justino

Quote from: A DRAGON on August 31, 2010, 12:21:54 AM
Also if you don't you'll still be OK if you use your Street compound at the track. Street compound is so much better now that it used to be. 

He's right again :)
I started using the most expensive tires i could buy and worked my way back to the street compound again.  Tires that come directly from HondaKawiYami-etc. are garbage but the next set purchased are MORE than enough tire for me to have some very quick laps.  I know of 4 separate SSA track instructors using standard issue street tires.  Four fast dudes proving you do not need Ben Spies level rubbers to get around in circles quickly.

Have a suspension guru go through the bike for 20 dollars.   Best money/traction dollar you can spend.  :)
Riding on the street is a lot like living with your parents.

andyhelfen

Thanks for the advice.  Looking at your pictures, I'm sure I could learn a ton from the group.  I'm excited that there will be instructors for the track day as well. I'll be there on the 18th hoping to say hi and introduce myself.  Your advice is good on getting new tires.  Safety is paramount.  I'll bring my bike and like to see what other items may need to get right for a track day from the group and get the lay of the land etc.  I have a full suit, boots, back protector etc. already.

I loved Bear Valley, hoping to do a ride with you guys.  Its fun going on google and trying to find the windy roads in the green areas.  Has anyone went from 50 echo summit  and then north on highway 11 Pine road to French Reservoir and then the Soda Springs Road by Ice Lakes and come out by Donnor highway 80 area.  I don't have a BMW GS so maybe could be a dirt road and not so fun...  ha ha.

Dub I'm on South shore as well in Zephyr Cove.  Hope to meet you at the track day.  I also have weekends off if want to meet up sometime.  During the week it will be tough for me to make bike nights in Reno.  Mr. Gorgonzola look forward to checking out your ride.

Thanks guys, really appreciate you putting the forum together.

Andy
2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 RR

n10sive

Andy, get with Dub and come to our bike night on Mondays. We won't be having one this coming monday due to labor day, but the following week (13th) we'll be at Dopplegangers down in Carson City.

Welcome aboard.
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

dub

Quote from: andyhelfen on August 31, 2010, 11:04:48 PM...Dub I'm on South shore as well in Zephyr Cove.  Hope to meet you at the track day.  I also have weekends off if want to meet up sometime.  During the week it will be tough for me to make bike nights in Reno....

Quote from: n10sive on September 01, 2010, 07:25:49 AM
Andy, get with Dub and come to our bike night on Mondays...

For sure.  It would be nice to have someone to meet up with and ride to bike nights/group rides with out having to leave the basin first.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

calco88

Ill be there on the 18th with my CRF450 supermoto. BRAP.

Team Gorgonzola

Cool Calco, we have a couple of supermoto and RFR is a lot of fun on one of those (well beside the front straight). ;D
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-

TK

I'm planning on being at the track for both days (already signed up  ;D).  Had a blast at the last event (which was my first, great experience!).  Looking forward to meeting up with everyone again.

andyhelfen

Thanks Dub, I'm going to do my best to be there at Dopplegangers the following Monday.  Sometimes my work schedule sucks weeknights.  What time do you guys usually meet?  If I miss you guys I'll be there on the 18th for sure.  Thanks!
2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 RR

Team Gorgonzola

-Hunter S. Thompson-