Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

Track tire pressure

Started by weavefish, May 29, 2008, 02:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weavefish

so what kinda tire pressure do you guys run at the track?
It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens. - Woody Allen

Adiggity

What he said.  :) 28-30 rear and 30-32 (hot pressures)front is a good base for most though. Again, that is just a base. My new Bridgestone BT003's I run at 29 rear, 30 front. (hot)

weavefish

Quote from: scotinexcile on May 29, 2008, 02:57:30 PM
Depends on what tires you are running?

i just put a set of 2ct's on. was just wondering cause some people i have talked to run higher than i thought was normal.
It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens. - Woody Allen

Adiggity

You've got to be careful on what people recommend. Make sure you tell them you are riding on the track. Recommended pressures are different between street and track with the same tires. I would talk to someone who runs Michelins or sells them. They would know. Or send Dave Moss an email. I KNOW he would know.
http://feelthetrack.com/

weavefish

Quote from: Adiggity on May 29, 2008, 04:06:59 PM
You've got to be careful on what people recommend. Make sure you tell them you are riding on the track. Recommended pressures are different between street and track with the same tires. I would talk to someone who runs Michelins or sells them. They would know. Or send Dave Moss an email. I KNOW he would know.
http://feelthetrack.com/

yea he is freaking scary!! when he starts describing how someone rides just by looking at there tires. love watching his DVDs hehe
but thanks again Andy! i sent him an email :) cant wait to see what he has to say.

weavefish

just got home from work and checked my email...BAM! a reply from Dave Moss. what a great guy! said i should set my tire pressure to 33psi fron and back the night before.... i emailed him back about adjusting once the day begins so cant wait to see what he says.

russtman

I run the 2CT's as well for now ---- 30 rear 31 front ---- for the track.   These are COLD settings.

Its all subjective --so take who ever's advice you want.   It is only a recommendation.   You should check with the manufacturer as to what they would recommend for certain tires , tracks , conditions..   The tire pressures may be totally different for your skill level and the type of riding,  and the feel you want to get back from your tires.

Start some where in the middle till you get better advice from someone you trust.  ;D
Need  money!!!!   WILL WORK FOR TRACK DAYS.

JENX!!!

Stupid question...... ;D
If I have my tires set at 33psi cold, do I maintain this pressure throughout the day as it gets warmer?, I mean do I need to air it out to keep it at 33 or do i just let the psi grow? (on the track)
Hi my name is jenx and im a track junky.....

karneybo

Air will expand has it heats up, so if you start at 33 psi it can go up to 37 to 40 psi depending on track temp.
Carney

Adiggity

Quote from: JENX!!! on June 10, 2008, 10:04:53 PM
Stupid question...... ;D
If I have my tires set at 33psi cold, do I maintain this pressure throughout the day as it gets warmer?, I mean do I need to air it out to keep it at 33 or do i just let the psi grow? (on the track)
Not a stupid question. It depends on the temperature swing your talking about. When it's 40 in the morning and 70 in the afternoon, I would say you should definitely reset your pressures. Hot pressures(When you JUST came off the track and tires are still hot) are really what matters. Don't give it 2 minutes to cool down. Check them immediately. The cold setting is just a reference, as Russ said.

weavefish

Quote from: Adiggity on June 11, 2008, 11:49:37 AM
Not a stupid question. It depends on the temperature swing your talking about. When it's 40 in the morning and 70 in the afternoon, I would say you should definitely reset your pressures. Hot pressures(When you JUST came off the track and tires are still hot) are really what matters. Don't give it 2 minutes to cool down. Check them immediately. The cold setting is just a reference, as Russ said.

so whats your goal hot pressure?
when i talked to Dave Moss he told me to run ## psi front and back. but when i got off the track my rear was at 40psi... i let some air out cause that seemed too high

Adiggity

It depends on your tire. I run Bridgestone BT003's and my hot pressure is 29 rear and 30-31 front.

Raingang

boring old signature.

CptnHornblower

Quote from: JENX!!! on June 10, 2008, 10:04:53 PM
Stupid question...... ;D

Again, I would check with someone like a tire vendor at the track or Dave Moss. At the last AFM race we were running Pirelli tires, at the end of the day we were using 23 psi cold in the rear and 29 in the front (on SC2 in fron and SC1 compound for the rear). It's like black magic. I usually text the pirelli guy to get recommened tire compounds and pressures. And the Pirelli guys said that Dave Moss is as good as anyone. My rear tire was cold tearing, I had him look at it, he tweaked the rebound and bingo, no more tearing and got great traction the rest of the day.
Earnest Hemingway : There are only 3 sports, Bullfighting, Motor Racing and Mountain climbing. All the rest are games.

A DRAGON

I've had bad luck with the SC2 Med compound at Thunderhill Heat tears are very common with that particular tire at that track. I was told that if you use the hard compound. The problem goes away. I love my Pirelli's. Don't want to use anything else. Mainly because of the price. SPL Hooks me up on that slick.  I know Dave Moss. He dialed most of it out. If he can catch it in time your golden.

Also from what I've learned from A-Diggity about PSI . I now only worry about Hot Temps more that cold. :P

My 2cents worth. :D :D
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750