Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

WSBK and Apex trackday at Miller

Started by Team Gorgonzola, June 02, 2010, 11:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A DRAGON

I got one of those poser bikes too. She needs a check up. I'm ashammed to say what service she needs.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

stimacsays

A DRAGON

Your Posing pretty good. Where's the side car for your Balls!
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

2wcp

Quote from: A DRAGON on June 05, 2010, 12:41:06 AM
Sweet!!!!!!!!! Maybe I should look into those. I'm thinking about Miller next weekend. It always seems to rain when were there.  Nothing for SBK.

Steve I'm so nervous in the rain. Can my street tyres really grip well? I just don't trust them. What kind of feel should I be looking for?

Jerome, The street tires will grip really well in the rain. They are made to handle it. I can tell you I have ridden in the snow before. Not talking about like 6 inches of snow on the ground, but slush and still snowing. The tires really had good grip then too. I was taking off from stop lights really hard to try to get them to break loose and they stuck to the ground.
The biggested thing to remember in the wet is to be smooth. Sooth on the throttle, smooth off the throttle, smooth on the brakes. If you remember that then you shouldn't have any problems.
2 Wheel Custom Performance
2536 Sutro St Suite 12
Reno, NV 89512
775-303-1857
steve@2wcp.com
www.2wcp.com
Tues-Fri 10a-6p
Sat 10a-5p

2wcp

and if you want a set of those tires let me know. I can get them for you before the weekend if your going to go to miller.
2536 Sutro St Suite 12
Reno, NV 89512
775-303-1857
steve@2wcp.com
www.2wcp.com
Tues-Fri 10a-6p
Sat 10a-5p

A DRAGON

So the loss of grip really isn't there it's just in my head? I've fallen a few times in the rain. So now I'm deathly afraid of it. I really need to take some lessons from you Steve. I feel a lot more confident just talking with you now.

What about the race D.O.T. Tyres. Those are really set up for dispersing rain are they. (Pirelli Diablo Corsa SC2's)

I know they make tyres just for  the rain. But how would you know when it's going to rain at a track. and are the fronts that we use as tyres 
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

jlavallee

When you ride a lot in the rain you do get used to it and develop good throttle/brake control. Back home in Newfoundland it is always raining but the biggest thing is cold ground temp. Even a spring snowfall is not as bad as a dry winter ride with really cold ground temp.

I used to ride all the time with a winter ski jacket over my leathers at home. When I lived in Labrador I'd be riding in spring when the Ski-doo guys were up there to fine tune the next year's production models and they'd look at me like I was MAD. Now, I live in NV and I don't ride in rain or anything too cold. I've done enough of that for 2 lifetimes.

Steve is correct that in the wet conditions here, the street tires still get warm enough to grip as long as water is displaced. Real rain race rubber will be destroyed unless it is very wet. Everyone home used to use the old D364 Dunlop dominator's because they worked real well in intermediate conditions and it usually rained at some point in the day.

2wcp

Quote from: A DRAGON on June 09, 2010, 05:10:41 PM
So the loss of grip really isn't there it's just in my head? I've fallen a few times in the rain. So now I'm deathly afraid of it. I really need to take some lessons from you Steve. I feel a lot more confident just talking with you now.

What about the race D.O.T. Tyres. Those are really set up for dispersing rain are they. (Pirelli Diablo Corsa SC2's)

I know they make tyres just for  the rain. But how would you know when it's going to rain at a track. and are the fronts that we use as tyres 

Did you fall in the rain on the track or on the road? Because on the road you have to think about all the oil that is spread all over the ground. When it mixes with the water it makes a bad situation. Your tires really do have a good amount of grip in the wet.

The DOT race tires actually aren't a real good tire to run in the rain for a couple of reasons. For the track the DOT race tires don't have tread going all the way to the edge, so when you lean the bike over to that portion of the tire you will have a better chance of losing traction because of hydroplaning. The other thing with DOT races is they are made to be heated up to a certain temperature to stick properly. Usually in the rain you won't be able to get the temperature up to where they need to be.

Rain Race tires are similar to street tires in that they are made to work good in the colder temps so they are usually a super soft compound that will head up bad if they are on dry pavement. They even have intermediate tires that will work in the wet and the semi dry.

Street tires work pretty good cold, and work even better warm. They are made of a compound that is semi tacky when cold and can take some heat in and get stickier. Unlike race tires which don't grip well cold but hold a lot more heat and soften up when hot. 
So my suggestion for rain riding on the track would be like a Power 2ct or a Diablo Rosso Corsa. You've seen what the regular Rosso can do on the track.
2536 Sutro St Suite 12
Reno, NV 89512
775-303-1857
steve@2wcp.com
www.2wcp.com
Tues-Fri 10a-6p
Sat 10a-5p

A DRAGON

Steve. Thanks for the insight. I'm feeling very good about riding in the rain. I think the next time i'm at  a track and they talk of rain. I'm going to try a set of race tyres. I have a spare wheel for my track bike. I think I'll put on a rain tyre, and look forward to the rain. I'm not afraid to crash it.

I was thinking that about the race DOT's but I thought that maybe I was just being silly.

When I went down in the raid it was an earlier rain in the year. Probably was the oil that mixed in with the water. Of course the metal cattle guard didn't help out any either. It was out of sierraville.Turn right at Satley headed for hwy 70. there is a right turn to get on the hwy it has a cattle guard right in the middle of the turn and a stop sign right after the turn. So you have to brake while on the metal cattle guard. I had 2 or 3 yrs riding experience so I know a lot more than I knew now. The crash proved it. Yosemete Sam once said. "Dragons are so Stupid" :D :D

I once was riding Willie's BMW  (Bring More Wallet) in the rain on I 80. Maybe it was the weight of the bike or I don't know. I felt so planted in the rain. It was the only time I ever felt good in the rain. It felt like it was sticking to the pavement. I was so amazed I thought it was just the weight of the bike. It's so heavy.  I feel so much better thank you. Now I don't feel like such a jackass. :-*
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750