Main Menu

Race Report Infineon Rd 2 part 2

Started by gsxr600scoot, April 29, 2010, 10:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gsxr600scoot

Back again

AFM Rd 2 Race Report Part 2
I forgot to mention the great job all the Tech staff does in getting most of the rider's bikes thru tech on Saturday evening, allowing us to "sleep in" on Sunday a little longer.
Sunday Morning we woke up just before 6.30am to the sound of generators being started and easy ups being put up as the racers who did not practice or race on Saturday started to show up. I had managed to sell my "superbike" on Saturday and the new owner turned up to take her away.  This left me to concentrate all my efforts into the production bike. I was running race 2 650 prod so we quickly went up to the announcers booth, which helped to warm and stretch out my legs before practice started. Everyone gets one practice on Sunday morning before we start racing. Practice went well with times similar to Saturday afternoons races.  We were gridded behind the 750 superbike class; I was on row 16 I think spot 61 so there were a LOT of bikes on the grid. The first way launched and again I felt as if I could hardly see the starters flag. The excitement of watching the 2 board go to 1 board, revs come up start to slightly let out the clutch holding the bike back with both feet. Watching the starter for the flag. Quickly out with the clutch as the flag moves above the rim of the starter's box, carefully not to "drop" the clutch and wheelie the bike. Throttle WFO changing gears as quickly as you can. I was gridded on the left near the wall so started to move out to the right so I did not get cut off in turn 1. Keeping an eye on the other racers making sure their lines were not leading you into the same space at the same time.
Up into turn 2 and the inevitable slow down as riders and bikes all try to squeeze thru the same space at the same time. It was clean racing as we all launched towards Turn 3. On my production bike the brake calipers and pads are stock so the stopping force is WAY less than on the "superbike" with the GSXR front end. I found myself having to use my full hand on the lever to get the bike to slow down. On the GSXR with a Brembo master 2 fingers was plenty to stop the bike dead!!!!! Everyone was just sorting themselves out on lap 1 and I was in 14th position as we crossed the line. I think I managed to pass a coupel of people somewhere on lap 2 but it may have been crashes!!!! By start finish I was up into 12th. One more pass on the 3rd lap put me up to 11th.
I don't remember passing anyone on the forth lap but I show as being in 10th. Somewhere on the 5th lap I think Ernie got past me in the Carousel, my entry speed is still slow after my lowside there earlier this year. On the last lap I managed to pull a 1:54:660 my fastest lap of the weekend.
I was not racing again until Race 9 so got changed and headed back to the announcer's booth to watch some fun racing and rag on people a little. Thanks to all the racers who sent me info on their Bio's so we and something more to talk about than just their name and number. It makes our job much easier. Lunch came and went and it seemed like forever to race 9. I really wanted to watch the Formula Pacific race but thought I would be pushed to get ready for my race if I did. I totally spaced the fact that they have a Winners circle for FP after the race. So I totally missed Holden crashing in 11.
Race 9 was Formula 2 and 650 Twins. I cant remember being gridded with Formula 2 before but dicing thru the traffic was interesting. There were 40 bikes on the grid for 650 twins I thought I was grided in spot 42 but I had it mixed up with the Formula 4 race and had to "pedal" my bike to the right spot before the start. 44 was on the right side of the gird which would give me a good entry up the hill into Turn 2. I had a good start and really kept on the power around the outside of 1 and up the hill into 2 managing to pass quite a few people. I know there were some faster people behind me and I knew they would be making moves to come thru.  I could see Rick Williams and Dave Sapsis in front of me thru 3 and 4 so I tried to go after them.
I crossed the line in 24th at the end of the first lap then the fast guys started picking me off. I was 26th by the end of the 4th lap as lap traffic started to make things difficult. I must have gotten a shot in the arm or someone must have crashed because I ended up in 23rd. I think this race was when I was dicing with Ben Swiggett, he past me and I started to follow him watching his lines. His entry into 11 was always tight and he ran wide on the exit . On the last lap I came out of 10 right on his tail so he could hear me, I then moved to his left for a wide entry into 11. As I hoped he left his braking a little late and went wider than even I could have hoped for. I drove tight around the corner and managed to out drive him to the line. If felt great to actually use some "race craft"  I managed a 1:54:120 as my fastest lap of the weekend but all my laps except the first one were under 1:56 which I was really happy with.
So with 650 twins in the bag it was on to Formula 4. I was gridded in position 42 which was towards the left of the grid, not against the wall but not a "preferred' position. I think there were 34 entries for the race and we were gridded with the 250 superbike class. Passing was going to be key and timing the pass was going to be key. If you get stuck about 20 yards behind a 250 coming out of 7 then your drive is killed thru 8. I guess I am just to chicken to pass thru 8!!!
Most of this race is as I was getting more tired and focusing more on making apexes and timing passes. I cant remember if Rory had his camera in this race or the 650 twins race. I just remember seeing him on the warm down lap pointing at his camera I think saying he had some good footage. LETS SEE IT RORY
I only gained 1 place the whole race and came in 22nd the lap times were all pretty slow in part to traffic and in part as I was getting tired
All in all a great weekend, good consistent lap times, shiny side up, same GREAT people in the pits and around the track. Good advice from a lot of great racers and some great laughs.
Thanks to my fantastic wife Beth for feeding and watering me and all her other general "pit bitch" duties  Then it was pack up and head to Thunderhill for the Z2 day as Beth headed back to Reno with Eddie and Gwen. Someone has to work to pay for this addiction!!!!!
Bring on Round 3

Adiggity

Good job Alan. Don't worry. Your not the only one who is too chicken to pass in turn 8! That is pretty much a one line section of track. It's too risky passing there imo. We are recreational racers. No one is getting a paycheck for it so it's not worth the risk if you ask me. Nice job though. Good write up.  :)