Main Menu
  • Welcome to SSA Sierra Sportbike Association | Reno Nevada Motorcycle Trackday Weekend Riding Club.

gixer break in

Started by bkrblood, March 01, 2010, 07:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkrblood

hey everyone well finally got past the 600 mile mark on the bike. gotta take it in to get the break in cycle done. cant wait to finally pick the bike over 8grand on the tach!
John Bovet

Justin

Push it to red line now.  What are you waiting for!!!

bkrblood

Quote from: Justino on March 01, 2010, 10:39:05 PM
Push it to red line now.  What are you waiting for!!!

lol well just waiting to get to the track..sadly no money to get a race suit or do a track day
John Bovet

Justin

Many people believe the break in "instructions" to be opposite of how it should be done.
I am one of those people.  Keep it in 1st and get on the highway.

bkrblood

well the bike is in the shop right now hopefully i will get it tomorrow and it will be nice enough to ride
John Bovet

Justin

As a newer rider, maybe it's better to take it slow.
How many miles on two wheels do you have?

youngster775

I'd love to break it in for you at infineon next week....   :o
2006 R1-50th,2004 R6 trackbike,2005 GSXR-600,2001 ZX6 trackbike,2005 YZ-250F

bkrblood

Quote from: Justino on March 03, 2010, 09:31:03 PM
As a newer rider, maybe it's better to take it slow.
How many miles on two wheels do you have?
got over 700 miles on my bike its my first bike but i have ridden a little before on other peoples bike but still going easy. having fun up on red rock road since im up in cold springs.
John Bovet

Justin

Great, take it easy and take it slow.   Are you wearing protective gear including decent gloves, boots, jacket?
I have many 10's of thousand of miles and crashing is as inevitable for me as it is for you.

bkrblood

Quote from: Justino on March 03, 2010, 11:14:27 PM
Great, take it easy and take it slow.   Are you wearing protective gear including decent gloves, boots, jacket?
I have many 10's of thousand of miles and crashing is as inevitable for me as it is for you.
ive got a hjc helmet, joe rocket race cuff gloves but been using some cheap cold weather gloves for the last few weeks, a scorpion 3 part textile jacket and some of the ride jeans with the real thick rubber knee pad inserts. would love to get a spine protector. o yea also got some oxstar race boots. not the best gear in the world but its what i could afford and its a hell of a lot better than jeans and a tshirt
John Bovet

bkrblood

ok just got the bike back gotta love  being able to really open it up and o yea justino they are actually tcx boots formally oxstar lol.
John Bovet

2wcp

Wouldn't suggest taking it to redline for break-in, what you want is the back pressure from acceleration. It helps seat the rings. Going from stop light to stop light gives good back pressue, but you also want to put the motor through heat cycles. Duration and such can be explained at a later time if required.
2 Wheel Custom Performance
2536 Sutro St Suite 12
Reno, NV 89512
775-303-1857
steve@2wcp.com
www.2wcp.com
Tues-Fri 10a-6p
Sat 10a-5p

Justin

Quote from: 2wcp on March 04, 2010, 05:33:27 PM
Wouldn't suggest taking it to redline for break-in, what you want is the back pressure from acceleration. It helps seat the rings. Going from stop light to stop light gives good back pressue, but you also want to put the motor through heat cycles. Duration and such can be explained at a later time if required.
His suggestion is also very commonly subscribed to.  There are hundreds of articles and write ups on this subject which a simple search will help you find.
I don't keep it at the same rpm for long. (I usually avoid the highway commute)
I'll actually get on and off the highway (exit to exit) when the bike is new.

Ever see what Ferrari does with EACH car after it leaves the factory?  Unbelievable.

bkrblood

ok so would you say its better to ride in a lower gear at a higher rpm then just cruise in one gear. not just for a while but in general?
John Bovet

youngster775

redline in any gear is where I always keep it!
2006 R1-50th,2004 R6 trackbike,2005 GSXR-600,2001 ZX6 trackbike,2005 YZ-250F