Main Menu

The most famous motorcycle road in the country

Started by Justin, December 03, 2009, 08:40:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin

I KNOW i am not the only one here who's ridden the Dragon.
Stand up and be counted!

http://vimeo.com/7862372

MotoPutz

Rick Bay (BRA)

Definitely the car driver is faster then the motorcycle rider. Slow on the corners. Well, if the car is a Formula 1 or NASCAR, forget that I said.  ;D ;D
Gangplank is right, too much stop and go on the video.  ;)
Tino, who the rider is?  :P

Justin

318 curves is 11 miles. 
Te rider is a friend of the photographer. 
    **I don't know why you guys are surprised that the car is so fast.   4 very fat tires mounted on a honda s2000**
The dragon is also called Deals Gap (US 129) and it is in North Carolina very close to the Tennessee border.
I think it is the best road I've been on.  I also enjoy 49 north of Satley to Nevada City.  That's second or third place.  West Virginia has some amazing roads as well.   

Justin

Am I REALLY the only one that's ridden "the tail of the Dragon"
(the road. . . not Jerome)

jlavallee

No, you're not alone as I love the gap! I used to go there every year and sometimes twice a year when I lived closer. Hwy 1 heading up to Leggett is really fun but it is not even close to deals. US129 is without question my favorite road ever and others can't come close not only because of the road but also the fact that it has no off chutes and ends at a state line.

No cops on the way up... No cops on the way down.

Some pictures...

Justin

Quote from: jlavallee on December 11, 2009, 07:47:10 PM
No cops on the way up... No cops on the way down.
i'm afraid it has changed some.  It goes through cycles of patrol by area LEO.  During the week you can do what you want, but the weekend can be heavily patrolled.  Unmarked units also.  They just ride up and down all day, follow you into the parking area to 'celebrate' and hand you a ticket right after they high-five your "fastest run ever"

jlavallee

I am not surprised as it has become so much more popular from say 03 onward. I got a VERY ulgy pair of tickets on the Blue Ridge one time but never been nailed on the gap. Usually I would book at the hotel in Robbinsville for Mon-Fri and rent a cabin in Gatlinburg for the weekend to rest ;D just because of the weekend madness. Most times it was a two week vacation so weekend one was driving down, weekend two was Gatlinburg and weekend three was driving back.