Main Menu

**RFR NEWS FLASH** Reno Fernley Racetrack

Started by A DRAGON, November 11, 2009, 10:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPL

Quote from: Justino on March 16, 2010, 07:25:39 PM
Quote from: Superbike Performance Lab on March 14, 2010, 03:36:46 PM
The fact of the matter is the bank is still running it and using management with no track racing experience!!!!!
They both have extensive track racing experience.

Justino the man Im referring to ran the paintball gun range there and is now the manager for the track.  Im not sure who your referring to here.

Building Dreams One Bike At A Time!  775-825-4457

Justin

Not sure if you met with imposters!
I am referring to the two managers, Dave G and John W.
Loads of racing experience.

RCFLAGGER

(HHHMMMM............. Let me see Dave Gigenbach  oh  yeah  the man who organized  an auto-rally event and needed experienced cornerworkers which Danny hocked him up with.... long story short .... the day he was to pick us up at the race track  we were there and oh yeah he never showed........ I still have lots of faith in him still......NOT!! Lots of track experience well lets see,  was he there with SCCA getting the track FIA/SCCA certified  no..... Was he there organising the Moto event at RFR USGPRU.......no  Didhe have anything to with booking anything at the trackover the last five years....no .. in fact all he has ever been at the track is a driving instuctor (a poor one at that)  and an occasional customer......  People even he is going bring Danny back if he doesn't screw that up!!!!!!  It is my understanding that unless they don't pull there heads out soon a get some better help either they won't make April1st or you'll be riding a deathtrap, (you"ll have better safty riding the TT event on the Ilse of Man).... So far no cornerworkers (somthing even Jason Pridmore realized he needed for his school when he got there....), no confrirmed medical & who knows what kind of insurance!!  Banks no the owners are in Ca.  Al McElroy made his deal w/ them, NOT that man...!!  So as far as I"m cocerned ya'll know more about snipe hunting than they do about track management!!! He can sell you a car though its his day job or was anyway.  It was Jeremy who went to the track managers convetion evry year  along w/ LHMillers son (anyone have 30 someodd car dealerships in 4 states &an NBA Franchise with money to burn?)  It wasn't mismanagement as  (continued next page....)
RACING is the only form of compitition......everything else is just a GAME.........  '84 GoldWing ,'82 KZ1100-D, '75 Kaw Z-1 900, '73 Honda CL-350, '69 Honda CT-90

RCFLAGGER

much as human greed that screwed us two people living out side thier means in a finacial bubble built by good old "creative finacing " (how else do you get a 4.3 million dollar house built on a hill?)  Yes the owners in Ca. are pissed, you would be too!!  So now we are left with the mess.....   Have faith people even Laguna took time lots of voluteer help and local finacial support.   Of course it was the late fifties- early sixties, but it can happen agian.....all it takes is faith !!!  Ive was witness to it happening in So. Idaho w/ a dragstrip the man was Ed "the Outlaw" Jones.  He bought a defunked piece of property w/ an old dragstrip on it and within a year (with local help lot's of sweat) he open up 1/8th mile at first then the full 1/4 mile.  The dirt oval is another story.....  After being missmanaged by the not-so-brite step-son Chris Coachlitch , besides letting me go (Jeremy hired me the very nexted day!!) he also fired the oldest most reliable worker he had.  Danny left midseason to come to the roadcourse full-time along with Diana.  So after pissing of every dirt racer around the oval lost money & Chris was fired!!  Jeremy had his hands full w/ the road-course, so it was decided to lease the oval out .   The people who signed up had also run Octanefest the year before in Fallon.  Well I guess they thought it far more important to buy new toys & repaint the old ones than say oh have decent payouts for wins or paying their bills...  Not only did they bounce three checks to RFR (there went your toilets or at lest part of them!!) but they also failed to meet any of their '09 Octanefest comitments financially that is.  Sorry this posting is so long ,BUT I'm getting kinda tired of the whining about this that or the  other.  Ive worked at a track where the owner was ONLY interested in the gate and what it could bring in It was racers who stood up & bought the supplies needed.  Ive also seen what 14 million can do to the same facillity,not only did it rebiuld it it got us a Div 7 Dragrace sight unseen(Las Vegas lost it's Sanction &it's race that year)  So folks either "Cowboy Up" & volunteer (pull weeds build FIA/FIM tire barriers backfill &paint rumblestrips sweat equity), or sit on your butts and bemoan the fact it WAS nice!!!  Also unless any of have corner expiernce  PLS PLS PLS  STAY ON YOUR BIKES !!!! Let the PRO's handle the safety!!!!  If it works FIM DORMA AMA  Z2 Kegwins it will work for you !!! Thanks for listening & again I appologize about the length, should have walked to work....    ;D ;D

RACING is the only form of compitition......everything else is just a GAME.........  '84 GoldWing ,'82 KZ1100-D, '75 Kaw Z-1 900, '73 Honda CL-350, '69 Honda CT-90

Justin

Quote from: RCFLAGGER on March 22, 2010, 01:03:55 AM
BUT I'm getting kinda tired of the whining about this that or the other.  
Terry,
Your post contains plenty of whining.
It also has an appropriate amount of frustration (which is evident in our posts as well)
The corner worker comments are a direct response to the new MGMT suggestion of ways to decrease our cost. Corner working is a learned skill not an innate talent, which is to say that the pros weren't born with an ability that I can't acquire.

I'm re-reading your pm, and will reply soon

Team Gorgonzola

Quote from: RCFLAGGER on March 22, 2010, 01:03:55 AM
 So folks either "Cowboy Up" & volunteer (pull weeds build FIA/FIM tire barriers backfill &paint rumblestrips sweat equity), or sit on your butts and bemoan the fact it WAS nice!!!  

Terry, we did "cowboy up" and didn't pay attention to the poor condition of the pavement, the lack of basic facilities, (running water, built-in shade, run-off areas with boulders, ditches) and supported the track. I have more than 30 days up there. Many with track day organizers at $ 170/$180 per day. In the last 6/7 years that I have been at RFR not much have changed for the better. In my experience restaurants close that way, they get old and tired and people find new, better, (albeit more expensive), more exciting places to go. There is an old business saying :"if you aren't growing you're shrinking" There is not such a thing as stay the same (never get better) and be successful. The one good thing RFR always had was the people that worked there. I have personally known Danny for 10+years (from his days at Mission Linen) and you for quite a few years. You guys were the soul of Reno Fernley but it wasn't enough. I do believe that Jeremy did his best, but if you can control cash-flow and expenses, because of external pressure, (siphoning out all the profit to support other projects, at least what I heard), you cannot run any business effectively. I do not know what the note was on the property so it's hard to evaluate what the cost per-day run. Hard to believe it cost what the "new" managers claim. Sweat equity is a term used to describe the contribution made to a project by people who contribute their time and effort. The term is sometimes used in partnership agreements where one or more of the partners contributes no financial capital. It mean, IMO that at some point there needs to be some kind retribution in exchange for it. Somehow I don't believe the new "owners" have that in mind. Terry we want nothing more that RFRS succeed, as you know we all have our personal struggle/challenges but I personally don't think making more money for a Socal millionaire will be om my to-do list anytime soon.
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-

RCFLAGGER

HERE, HERE,,,,,  I totaly agree......... THAT'S  what is so hard to swallow at this point .   How greed can help destroy a dream or at least set it way back is hard........On the positive side someone can still show up to help build the "Lagunasearsmillersecapoint motorsports park raceway " of our DREAMS........AAAAHHHHH don't laugh !!!!!!                                 I"VE GOT THAT T-SHIRT TOO!!!!!!         It's from rocky mountain raceways   been there done that.......  Chow Bella.......

Gentlemen, I Feel at this point that I am greviously in debt!!!  I owe all of you good people an APOLOGY!!!!  It is wrong to use this board to vent ,rant and rave like a lune...for that I am SORRY !!  It is mostly out of pain, anger & frustration that I have said what I have said.  Although this was probably not the place, nor was the way I've chosen to say it.   Of all the time NOT to listen to the voices telling me DELETE,DELETE you MORON...!!! Oh well whats done is done.....  To those of you who have tried to help (youngster) HAZZA,HAZZA,HAZZA......sorry to hear of property that was stolen.... welcome to the club.  As far as being shorted in pay..... come on in the waters fine.......  It is brutally hard to see something that you have poured your heart & soul into have made unrequited sacrifices for turned into CRAP & be helpless to little about it SUCKS !!!   It was not my intent to alienate, point fingers, direct blame, piss in bowls of Wheaties, etc. though it seems to me that that is exactly what I did!    FOLKS PLEASE FORGIVE MY ERROR  & ACCEPT MY HUMBLEST OF APOLOGIES.   I AM SORRY.           Next to ZOOM-ZOOM,  SSA is my favorite group to be around & to play with PERIOD!!!!          except when you make me work during lunch..................................         THANK YOU ONE & ALL         TM      

Justin

I can relate to the frustration you're experiencing.  Considering that this track has been your livelihood and your future anyone could imagine the pain you're now experiencing.  
This has to be a giant slap in the face. . .

To that, Terry, I'll say that this situation is not yet over.  Another bump, but the dream is not yet extinguished.

I mimic n10sive's comments about helping you keep your job and hope to work with you, and ride under your watchful eye again.

Justin

com3

Quote from: RCFLAGGER on March 23, 2010, 02:38:22 AM
Gentlemen, I Feel at this point that I am greviously in debt!!!

is that you terry?!  if so....HEY MAN!!! miss you up there, dude!   this is joe from 4theriders, btw. :D

cobra23

I don't know about the rest of you but I am confused a little.

Terry..
Is the track going to open? Don't feel bad about venting. I found the post interesting and pretty objective.

Alberto..
Terry is a good fella, and he does have more information than most of the rest of us do.
Personally I do not understand how the track could not be successful with a good investment (much more than I could afford).

All you need to do is go to Infineon and watch an AMA race only to sit in traffic for an hour trying to get out afterwards. Laguna is the same story, Laguna has the "magic" so it will be fine people are willing to tolerate the Laguna traffic. Infineon on the other hand will be in trouble in the next few years, because California is so %^&*'d up. When Infineon gets closed because the sandal wearing granola crunchers have had enough, the next best location for all those larger events is Northern Nevada.

If I can see this I do not understand how some Mega Business dude cannot. Fernley is right on I-80, easy to get to from two different directions (US 50, and I-80). The track will be in development for years, but I beleive if it is done right it will be a major facility.

Miller is great for the same reason, you just drive in off the interstate (hmm also form two directions), and you are in and out. Of course the Millers have invested a huge amount of money.

com3

i've email back and forth with the new owner a few times...nothing really in depth, but here it is:

a few weeks ago:

QuoteWe are hoping to have events with ZoomZoom and Sierra Sport Riders in 2010. Sport Bike riders are a huge part of our target market for riding enjoyment/excitement....

then this one yesterday:

QuoteWe are a tad behind on the "opening". Probably mid April to May 1 is the best guesstimate.

I am totally comfortable with any dates AFTER 5/15 through 10/15....

n10sive

Yeah...now go buy one of those 'dates' for $7700 firm (weekday rate)  ::)
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

com3

Quote from: n10sive on March 29, 2010, 12:36:29 PM
Yeah...now go buy one of those 'dates' for $7700 firm (weekday rate)  ::)

the question is...  is that a firm price?  i.e., $7700 and the track is yours, no matter how many people are there, et cetera?

reason i ask is that i've rented thill a few times... $4995 is their rate.  however, that's their rate for the first 20 people.  :(  after that, it's $60 per bike and $60 per rider... meaning the day that i had 61 riders in attendance, total bill for me was a few dollars shy of 10 grand.

while 7700 is a bit on the high side for what they have at their facilities (uh... a racetrack and not much more...), if that's a FIRM price, then it ain't quite as bad as one would think.

n10sive

Quote from: com3 on March 29, 2010, 12:40:23 PM
the question is...  is that a firm price?  i.e., $7700 and the track is yours, no matter how many people are there, et cetera?

reason i ask is that i've rented thill a few times... $4995 is their rate.  however, that's their rate for the first 20 people.  :(  after that, it's $60 per bike and $60 per rider... meaning the day that i had 61 riders in attendance, total bill for me was a few dollars shy of 10 grand.

while 7700 is a bit on the high side for what they have at their facilities (uh... a racetrack and not much more...), if that's a FIRM price, then it ain't quite as bad as one would think.

It would be nice if they structured it like THILL did for you. That is similar to what we had last year...smaller price and a 'gate' fee. So far there has been no interest in doing that for us this year. It would be hard to charge what we did last year with such short notice, and no facilities and guarantee we could the required # of riders :(
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

CptnHornblower

Yeah, but just think, at $300 per person it would only take 29 riders to break even on a weekend! Sweet! :o
Earnest Hemingway : There are only 3 sports, Bullfighting, Motor Racing and Mountain climbing. All the rest are games.