Started by CptnHornblower, October 23, 2009, 05:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

n10sive

i was really hoping someone would call me a name  :-\

:D
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

TWF

Quote from: n10sive on October 25, 2009, 03:11:01 PM
But to race it, it will have to be done, or the front end needs to be swapped back out to run production class.

You should tell Alan to stop racing  ;D

n10sive

Quote from: TWF on October 25, 2009, 07:10:33 PM
You should tell Alan to stop racing  ;D

And where is he placing compared to Sewell? LOL

Besides...we all know Alan rides his 650 the way it is so he can enter into every class ;D He is the only one I know who's pit is in the hot pits LOL

CptnHornblower

I wonder what it would run to swap the fork and then add all the safety wire, pan, etc, etc to get it race ready as opposed to track ready? I've seen several "race ready" SVs on line in the 4 to 5K range.
Earnest Hemingway : There are only 3 sports, Bullfighting, Motor Racing and Mountain climbing. All the rest are games.

Adiggity

It is typically cheaper and easier to buy them already done than it is to do it yourself. Especially if you are having someone else do the work for you.

Justin

Listen,   I'm out of my league here.
You definitely are getting the right people responding to your questions.

Use your resources.

TWF

Quote from: CptnHornblower on October 26, 2009, 03:22:38 PM
I wonder what it would run to swap the fork and then add all the safety wire, pan, etc, etc to get it race ready as opposed to track ready? I've seen several "race ready" SVs on line in the 4 to 5K range.
Ron's bike is race ready, just need to wire it I think.
As Andy said, it is much cheaper to buy one done than building one.

CptnHornblower

I hadn't looked at this thread for awhile. I ended up buying an SV from one of the Z2 instructors that was race preped and has one of Zorn's engines in it. I just got done adding flat slides, a 180 rear wheel and I'm looking at a slipper clutch. Zorn's checking out the forks right now. Hopefully it will be ready for the Z2 track day at Infineon Feb 8. If I can keep from laying it down too often the I'll try the NRS later in the year.
Earnest Hemingway : There are only 3 sports, Bullfighting, Motor Racing and Mountain climbing. All the rest are games.

CptnHornblower

If weather is bad for Feb 8 I'll definitely make Sat and Sun at Thill at the end of the month.

CptnHornblower

New update: I've done 13 trackdays in the last 9 months and passed the NRS last Saturday. I plan on doing my first Clubman on the 11th at Thunderhill. Yikes!

Adiggity

CptnHornblower

I guess it went pretty well for my first race weekend. I was fast enough in the morning practice that Barb said she'd let me play with the big kids, so I got to do the Clubman lightweight, Formula 40, Formula IV and 650Twin races. I actually had my best lap time in the morning practice session; I was chasing a girl on a 600 around the track and managed to squeak out a 2:13. Because the Formula 40 race was immidiately after the Clubman LT there wouldn't be time at the end of Clubman to check my laptimes and still get into the next race (normally you have to meet the minimum lap time requrement in the Clubman race). so she let me in all the races (I had to have a 2:18 or better to enter the races).

The clubman was my first race, I was nervous as you might imagine, and it was hot as hell; I think the track temp was close to 150 degrees. I think I was gridded either last or next to last, which made since as I was a brand new novice. I got a good start and got by about 4 or 5 people by the time we got to turn one. The next couple laps were a blur; I just remember thinking - don't get lapped by a AFemme rider and don't crash (if I crashed I couldn't enter the next race). Mission accomplished until about lap 4. Probably because of nerves, I had been riding turns 14 and 15 like shit, actually I was turning too soon in 14 which was screwing up 15. On lap 4 I decide to go deeeeeep into 14 before turning. A little too deep. As I'm entering 15 my knee is laid on the pavement, and lean, lean a little more and lean yet a little more and realize guess what buckwheat, you're not going to make it. So I stand the bike up, take my fingers completely off the front break and take off across the infield. I hit a a couple of bumps and decided to get on my pegs and try to ride it out. I started slowing down and I was still up, so I found my back brake pedal (I knew it was down there somewhere, I just never used it). I finally made it to the access road that goes from half way between turns 6 and 7 to the beginning of the front straight. As soon as I was on pavement I grabbed a handful of front brake and got stopped. Holy crap, I thought, I'm still up! So I got turned around, rode up the access road to the front straight, waited for some traffic to get by and I pulled out on the front straight and finished the race. I'm not sure where I would have finished without the dirt biking, but even with it I placed 13th out of 21, didn't get lapped and didn't crash; in my book, a success.

The other races were less eventful, decent starts, I'd pass several guys by turn 1, then they all passed me back and I came in last in all three races. I was going to look for the next to last rider and see if he'd thank me for relieving him from the shame of finishing last, but I was so fricking tired I skipped it.

On a brighter note my buddy Jay Avansino entered Formula 40, the one hour tag team race, Formula IV and 650 Twins and took 1st in all four races, so all in all it was a great weekend.

As a post script, I was diagnosed with throat cancer last week so I doubt I'll be able to do any more racing this year, so I'm doubly happy I got a chance to race in round 6 this year. But, chemo, radiation and all that crap will be done in a couple months so I should be ready to go for the 2011 season.

Adiggity

Wow. Thanks for the report and congrats on finishing your first race weekend. Don't worry about finishing last. Just keep focused on improving your riding and you'll be battling further and further up towards the front in no time. And just for the record, there is a girl or two in AFemme that haul the mail. There's no shame in getting passed by some of those girls for sure. Most people in AFM have gotten passed by them. (that are in their other classes)

I wish you all the best with your cancer. Stay strong and we'll see you in Oh 11.  :)

n10sive

sorry to hear about your cancer :( Hope all goes well for you and will send positive thoughts your way.

Team Gorgonzola

Finally got around to read your race report, really exciting and great reading. I wish I could work up my nerves to do a race or two :-\. Come visit during the SSA track days August 21/22, if you can, and make sure you kick that cancer a$$. We are all rooting for you.
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube.
-Hunter S. Thompson-