Main Menu

First Race bike for new AFM racer

Started by CptnHornblower, October 23, 2009, 05:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CptnHornblower

Hi Guys and Gals. I'd like to get your input on what bike/class you'd recommend for a new to be racer in AFM.

I went to a trackday at Thunderhill and had the best time ever (with my clothes on). Since then I bought a Ducati 1198S as a stable mate for the BMW K1200GT. I'm signed up for a new racer school at the end of November at Thunderhill.

I'm trying to figure out: do I prep and race my 1198S or do I find a 5 year old something else, like a 250 two stroke or a 600 that's race ready and trash it? What bike/classes would make the msot sense for an old geezer just getting into racing?

Your thoughts, comments and suggestions are welcome, just no cracks about age :-|
Earnest Hemingway : There are only 3 sports, Bullfighting, Motor Racing and Mountain climbing. All the rest are games.

Rick Bay (BRA)

I think scotinexcile, Adiggity or A DRAGON are able to answer your question....

n10sive

only one trackday?! Have you thought of doing a few more trackdays to learn lines, predictability etc? The NRS isn't about speed, it's about keeping your concentration in a crowd (which they'll test) and holding your lines among a few other things. All things that riding more trackdays will help with.
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

cobra23

Oh boy.

I ride a Ducati Monster. Been on Street bikes for thiry years now. I've done a few trackdays, maybe 6, I honestly don't remember exactly how many. I have the track permit. I am looking for a cheap track bike.

Ok so I think you need to get something cheap. Ducati's are very expensive to repair.

I outlined my little experiance resume there, cause here is the point....

I think you need more tracktime before you dive into racing. I have not raced (well there was the scooter incident at SIR) but I have been around it plenty enough to predict....ah your gonna crash. Everybody does.

The Duc will cost an arm and a leg to fix. You can mange that risk by getting some more track time prior to going out there only to have a 21 year old on his 600 cut into the rear wheel of the Ducati and knock you into the dirt.

Just my opinion. Wishin you the best either way.

zipbyu

Sell it now and buy two better bikes.  A sv650 or 600 race bike for the track and a streetbike for your everyday needs.  You will get rid of that bike.  Do you have any ides what it will cost you WHEN you will ride that thing sidways into the dirt?  It is a good bike to try a trackday out or three, or for Doug Polin.  Sorry but if you want to go fast and correctly get off that bike.  That bike should come with me. ::)

Here you go...$3000
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311530

cobra23

I do Commend you enthusiasm......

Hats off to ya!!

Justin

Go for it, Brother!
You ride whatever you want to ride and ENJOY.
I know that there definitely different levels of intensity within each division
I know what I would do.  I would get an SV650 and race it with Alan (ScotinExile) and one day hope to keep up with Zoran (TWF) and get sponsored by "twin works factory"
*hint*

CptnHornblower

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the good advice. I got a chance to discuss the whole thing with an experienced AFM racer and Ducati guy. I came to the conclusion that I should do as many track days as I can squeeze in between now and the 2010 season, buy a used race-ready SV650 and see where it goes. If it goes well, I can step up to racing the 1198S, and if it goes poorly I can go back to sailing and riding the K1200GT :-)
Earnest Hemingway : There are only 3 sports, Bullfighting, Motor Racing and Mountain climbing. All the rest are games.

TWF

Justin

Quote from: CptnHornblower on October 24, 2009, 04:42:07 PM
. . .I came to the conclusion that I should do as many track days as I can squeeze in between now and the 2010 season, buy a used race-ready SV650 and see where it goes.

sounds like some great advice and a great lead from the TWF guy I mentioned.

n10sive

Ron's bike is STILL for sale?  :o

That is a nice bike and a very good bike to start your trackdays career on. Unfortunately for racing, the motor is stock and the gsxr front end will keep you from running production class, and the stock motor won't let you keep up with the front runners. :( But Zoran (TWF) can fix that for ya ;D

TWF

he needs no built motor right now, maybe next year.

Justin

n10sive

i wasn't implying he needed it built now as we all (and he) agreed more trackdays was the ticket. But to race it, it will have to be done, or the front end needs to be swapped back out to run production class.

Justin

So you wanna correct spelling, Dale.  I see how it is.

LOL