Main Menu

AFM Round 1 Buttonwillow

Started by Adiggity, March 17, 2008, 08:37:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adiggity

Quote from: Resistor on March 24, 2008, 01:08:16 PM
Hint, he is on your race team...

Great job guys, I look forward to seeing the rest of the results and reading the write-ups.  I hope scotinexcile is okay!
I was thinking it was Mr. Dean, but wasn't sure. I was beginning to wonder if he had a keyboard on his computer!! :P

From what I've heard Alan is ok. Broken collarbone. Seems to be in good spirits.

Adiggity

Ok, I'll start off with saying for those of you didn't know, I got a new (to me) race bike this season. It's an 06 R6.(the bike that took 2nd place in my class last year) Been doing some trackdays trying to get used to it, and so far it's going good.

We showed up Thursday night at buttonwillow and to my pleasant surprise we could actually get into the track on the night we showed up instead of having to sleep outside the gate and come in in the morning.

Friday was a trackday held by the track for the AFM to get some extra practice in if you want to. And since Buttonwillow is 8 hrs away and I don't get much time there, I wanted to!! My whole goal was to try to finish somewhere in the top 15 or so. The last time I ran this track in this configuration my best time was a 2:00 flat. I definitely expected to improve from that. By the end of the day Friday everything was feeling good and I got down to 1:57's. I was happy with that.

Saturday was AFM practice and my tires were getting a little sketchy by the end of the day Friday so I put a new set on and was off. Ended up bettering my time by 1 second from the previous day with a 1:56. I was thinking that is about what I would be doing in the race, so to be doing that in practice, I was stoked.

Sunday's first race was 600 SB. I was very nervous about starting with the new bike because it is very different to my old bike, but I actually ended up getting a very good start and was up with the front pack for the first lap or so. Unfortunately I couldn't hang with those guys and ended up losing a few positions. But the cool thing is all the people who were passing me were guys that I was never even close to last year. I started 10th and I ended up 17th in that race. Best lap of a 1:54 flat! Wow, I was again shocked. My second race of the day was Formula 1. I started 13th in that race and once again got a good start and was able to pass a couple guy before the first corner. That was a fun race, I was dicing it up with a few guy sthroughout but ended up passing all of them by the end and ended up in 7TH PLACE!!!!!!!! My first top 10 finish in a real race in the AFM ever. Again I was doing 54's. My last race was 600 production. I was gridded in 6th and got a good start again! It's kind of funny though. I was worried about the starts and ended up doing very well on all of my starts. Unfortunately I couldn't hold my positions!! Again I was up with the lead pack and was staying with them until one of the guys who was up front just kind of dropped the pace a little and everyone got around him but me. I couldn't get around this guy the whole race and tried a last chance out braking maneuver going into the last turn. I got him going in, but he got me coming back out. And I finished behind him to take 11th. And in this race I had my best lap time of the weekend with a 1:53. All in all I am very happy with that and I exceeded my expectations for the weekend. I just didn't realize so many people stepped up their game so far this year. I had a lot of fun and am looking forward to next round!

CBR Dave

Nice job this weekend Andy.  You looked good out there.  53's is haulin ass..

Adiggity

Thanks Dave. From the one race I actually got to watch that you were in you looked very good! Unfortunately I didn't get to watch any of your races except Clubman. I expect you be up there towards the front in no time. Good job man. ;D

p.s. how did your other races go?

Resistor

Quote from: Adiggity on March 24, 2008, 01:37:44 PM
I was thinking it was Mr. Dean, but wasn't sure. I was beginning to wonder if he had a keyboard on his computer!! :P
Ding Ding Ding - Winner!

Hey Dean, good to see you posting on the board.
2005 GSXR-600

Resistor

Great job out there Andy!  I can't wait to see the offical race reports.

Alan, good to see that you're going to be ok and are looking forward to the next race.  If you're going to crash, the track is the best place, I wouldn't want to crash anywhere else.
2005 GSXR-600

CBR Dave

Quote from: Adiggity on March 24, 2008, 03:05:50 PM
Thanks Dave. From the one race I actually got to watch that you were in you looked very good! Unfortunately I didn't get to watch any of your races except Clubman. I expect you be up there towards the front in no time. Good job man. ;D

p.s. how did your other races go?

The only other race I did was open GP.  I started in last place spot 36.  I got a pretty good start and passed 4 or 5 guys by turn 1.  After that it was pretty much a blur.  By the end of the race I worked my way to 27th place.  Not the greatest but I was so stoked just to be out there.  The cool thing was in that race I had my best lap time of 2:01. Man I have a lot to learn.  Sorry I didn't get down much to your guys pit area much.  My mind was a little overloaded all weekend. 

CBR Dave

BIG hanks to all who helped my wife and I to pack up after we got back from the hospital.

If some one has Eddies number can they pm me? In my "vicodin haze" I lost the card his wife gave me with their contact numbers.
[/quote]

Glad you made it home OK.  Hope you heal soon.  You were kickin ass out there until you and your tire disagreed on how fast to come around that last turn. ;D

I will pm you Eddie's number.

Adiggity

Quote from: CBR Dave on March 24, 2008, 08:37:41 PM
The only other race I did was open GP.  I started in last place spot 36.  I got a pretty good start and passed 4 or 5 guys by turn 1.  After that it was pretty much a blur.  By the end of the race I worked my way to 27th place.  Not the greatest but I was so stoked just to be out there.  The cool thing was in that race I had my best lap time of 2:01. Man I have a lot to learn.  Sorry I didn't get down much to your guys pit area much.  My mind was a little overloaded all weekend. 
Good job man! That's great for your first race. Now your officially a racer!! Yeah, I was hoping to get over to your side of the pits a few more times as well. I completely understand. It's amazing how constantly busy you are at a race weekend getting things all set to go. Good times though. We'll have to try and pit closer together at the next round. There is talk of everyone trying to pit behind the grandstands at Infineon. Give me a shout and I'll let you know the consensus on where we are all going to be.

Yard Sale

I saw the 4theriders pictures of Code4 Racing... looking good! Whos the non-conformist with the yellow bike in a sea of blue bikes? :p

Adiggity

Quote from: Yard Sale on March 25, 2008, 11:15:03 AM
I saw the 4theriders pictures of Code4 Racing... looking good! Whos the non-conformist with the yellow bike in a sea of blue bikes? :p

Thanks!

That's Dan Sewell. He happened to work out a deal with Zoran (Twin Works) at the same time we were getting the team thing together. Funny thing is, we chose the color of his bike last year as the official team color. Last year he was the only one with it, this year he's the only one without it. :)

CBR Dave

Good job man! That's great for your first race. Now your officially a racer!! Yeah, I was hoping to get over to your side of the pits a few more times as well. I completely understand. It's amazing how constantly busy you are at a race weekend getting things all set to go. Good times though. We'll have to try and pit closer together at the next round. There is talk of everyone trying to pit behind the grandstands at Infineon. Give me a shout and I'll let you know the consensus on where we are all going to be.
[/quote]

Thanks Andy.  It feels good to have that first race out of the way.  As far as Infineon I will call you and get details when it gets closer.

CBR Dave

I just found this pic on the AFM forum.  Hope Joe doesn't get pissed I jacked it. ;D
J/K  He knows I'll buy all my pics

[attachment deleted by admin]

Resistor

Quote from: CBR Dave on March 25, 2008, 08:57:57 PM
I just found this pic on the AFM forum.  Hope Joe doesn't get pissed I jacked it. ;D
J/K  He knows I'll buy all my pics

Sweet pic  8)

I also like the group shot of Code-4, you guys are having a BLAST!
2005 GSXR-600

n10sive

good luck with the surgery Alan!
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike