Main Menu

Ride participation

Started by SinisterVendetta, August 04, 2013, 01:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SinisterVendetta

I'm simply amazed at the lack of interest in the rides, I can see where it has completely died off within the last year just by looking at the posts. I decided after the last ride (2) of us with the others skill light years ahead of mine lol that I would seek another group to try out and maybe find some riders at my skill level, so up pops NSC (Nevada Sportbike Club) with photos depicting riders galore! Bring your Harley, your scooter and come ride with us..so I answered the call..show up for their Sheep Ranch run, meet at the Starbucks at least an hour ahead of departure which was 9am. So I planned accordingly and mapped out the meeting place and route. Beautiful sunday morning, im all geared up and ready to ride, boy I sure hope I get there on time, this will be great! I arrive to a fairly vacant parking lot, my bike being the sole one there, oh well im early as usual! I go in grab a coffee and get ready for the onslaught of motorcycles sure to be coming....30 minutes pass, one hour passes, not a soul, absolutely no one.  I get geared back up and ride down Carson scanning for fellow bikers, a couple Harleys, a group of Kawasaki Concours, and positively nothing else, pathetic. As im leaving Carson an errant Ford Explorer pulls out and into my direct path looking at me the whole time, I squeeze past and give him the friendly wave...and out of Carson I go. Reno/Sparks/surrounding areas has a good dense population, I see bikes galore in Reno each and everyday..shame the rides can't manage to get more than a couple to show, I realize there are various reasons, excuses etc, but looking at a Sacramento group ride, they seem to manage to show up in droves. I missed a ride getting my other bike sorted so im not innocent, but wow nobody showed LOL! I guess the best ride is the solo ride.

GreenMachine

That's been pretty much it since the super-recession hit.  Fuel prices are high and owning a motorcycle is a luxury.  Group sizes have decreased steadily, with the exception of 2013.  A lot of people moved out of the area, moved on in their lives, sold their bikes and I don't know how much social media has played in redirecting peoples' focus in socializing and meeting up for rides in other ways; your guess is as good as mine.  SSA is not immune and neither are all the other rider sites.

Take TTRC, the race event I was at yesterday.  It was put together by a bunch of riders and like-minded people who love doing this stuff and sharing that enthusiasm.  Unfortunately, what was a series that was suppose to grow, only had three events in 2012 and yesterday was their one and only event for 2013.  Even at their one and only event, participation was a nail biter.  These people put their time and effort into making a great event for others to share in and thankfully the event was a success, but only for one day on one weekend within one year.  As yesterday's ceremonial festivities completed I cheered and applauded the effort they had put in.  It's not easy, it requires devoting time and effort.  I liken it to coming up with an idea to have a group travel to paradise during a dreary winter, discussing it with like-minded people, getting their commitment to the idea, booking a large plane destined for paradise only to find that a mere percentage of the people who committed actually followed through.

I try not to take it personally when I'm the only one or there's just TB5, Wills, BigCat, Wiles or another regular at the meet-up.  It's still riding and socializing with your fellow riders.  It's not that people don't want to ride with you/me, it's just they're not as many riders riding in groups here or they've found their own click or don't like riding in groups.

SCR has a vast pool to draw from and they have riders of all skill levels.  I'd expect their rides to have more rider diversity and that was my experience on one of their rides that I participated in.  Plus they have Thunderhill Raceway nearby and many of the same riders who group ride are also track riders, so there's a closer bond.

I applaud your participation in any group ride.  If other riders don't want to share that experience with someone as bright as yourself, it's their loss.  But don't let the lack of interest jade you.  If you feel out of place because of your skill level, don't let that discourage you.  Post up a ride where you are leading and the pace is dictated as C or beginner level pace, no exceptions.   You might just find an undiscovered base of riders with which to build a new group riding foundation.  :clap
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

SinisterVendetta

Thank you for that perspective, I had fallen a bit into jaded sarcasm this morning with the scene I witnessed, I believe I truly felt a few would show up, I had been longing to ride in a large group, I wanted to experience that. Seeing all the bikes out and about in the area is one thing, bringing them together for a ride is another. The ride to the water hole didn't perk my interest, obviously I wasn't alone. The ride on the 11th to V.C. and Tahoe is just my thing, I'll be there, at least I'll have my sargent seat by then so my arse is happy ;D I believe when I searched to find ride groups I expected more, one sided thinking of course, I realize I rarely see large groups of bikers with Harleys being the exception, but even those have dwindled down as of late, the largest group I've seen is the one who passes by my apt on mcarran at 12am doing wheelies and triple digit speeds, not a group I'll be looking to ride with. If anyone in this group is a slower type rider, please know I am too, so feel free to suggest or join a ride with me, as for the others I've ridden with, no complaints, patience has been shown and the rides have been enjoyable with the exception of wasps  :o in jacket sleeves.. the only issues I've had is my attempt to match the pace of the more experienced riders, and that's my fault. I'll be there for the 11th ride, you ALL better show up  ;) Cheers!

Mel

Hey guys,

I'll jump in here with some observations. It is true that rider participation in scheduled group rides is almost nil. I can give you a perspective from 2 different areas of the country. I've lived up here now for almost 2 years and it is a one hundred and eighty degree opposite from where I came from. That would be over on the central coast near Santa Cruz. The whole Santa Cruz mountain range has some of the best motorcycle roads period, hands down. There are 2 forums over there in the bay area that have tons of postings daily! There are usually at least 5 or 6 group rides to choose from every weekend, and even some during the week. Just an average size group for these group rides would be 10-15. With these kind of numbers, the riders just naturally fall into the proper pecking order, with the fast guys out front, somewhat fast guys in the middle, and the slower guys in the rear. The rides are more structured with a lead and a sweeper, and the group will wait up at all junctions so no one is left behind. They take this serious back there, and if someone doesn't show at one of the junctions, a rider or two will go back looking for the lost rider. Sometimes they will turn around and go back or take another route without telling anyone, and they get hammered on the forums for that. I don't care what your pace is, you will always find guys to ride with that have a similar pace as you. Lots of AFM guys in the bay area that ride up in the Santa Cruz mountains and it's an E ticket ride running with those boys 8)!

Now here in the Reno area, I've noticed that there are a lot more posers or squids (not you guys here who are actually serious about riding) on sportbikes. Back in the bay area gearing up is the norm for any ride no matter how short, and you never see guys in shorts and t-shirts, which is the norm here in Reno! Unbelievable... is the only word I can come up with for this :o!! I have to disagree about the recession and price of gas being part of the reason as there are just too many bikes here in the Reno area out all the time.

I think what is needed is to figure out a way to bring the riders together and on to this forum. I was over at the Jeep dealership a couple weeks ago and saw an FZ6R parked there and found out it was one of the employees. He was busy at the time so I left him a message to give me a call and maybe plan a ride. He called and in our conversation I told him about SSA and he joined and did his intro. He told me that he's had his bike for 3 years and just basically commuted on it and some VC runs, but did not know any other riders to ride with...after 3 years in town! This is a perfect example of why we need to organize the riders here in town to get on SSA and get involved in group rides. I may have some cards or flyers printed up about a Sportbike Night at a location to be determined. I would put them up at every bike shop in town, but will have them with me so I can leave them on any bikes I see parked, and also flag down as many riders as I can to give them to. If we can get a bunch of these guys all together in one spot, we can not only meet them, but let them know about SSA, and start planning some group rides. If I do this would any of you be interested in taking some of the flyers to have with you so you can do the same? In the short time I have lived here, I have seen quite a few girl riders on sportbikes, and it would be cool to get them in the group. We got lots of girl riders back on the coast and they always make the rides and get togethers fun. Let me know what you guys think!

On another note, I went out on a solo ride today and found some more cool roads, mostly goats but not all. I've been building my road inventory up since I've been here and been on so many I have to keep them written down :). I've done all the normal Quincy, Downieville, La Port, Wentworth Springs, etc., but I like to keep looking for as many others as I can, usually the roads less traveled. Today I ran on Sliger Mine Rd, Spanish Dry Diggings Rd, Marshall Rd, Black Oak Mine Rd, Bear Creek Rd, Traverse Creek Rd, Spanish Flat Rd, Shoo Fly Rd, and Bayne Rd. All these were off 193 and some cool goat roads! Got in 340 miles today and loads of fun :)!

One last thing about the scheduled rides here on SSA. I know GM puts a lot of work into them at the beginning of the season, but it might work out better if guys posted up rides closer to the ride dates because things always seem to change as those pre-scheduled dates get near. Just a thought.

Mel

SinisterVendetta

I'll be happy to take some fliers, just saw a threesome of ninja 250's today ride by, wanted to flag them down  8) I agree Mel, I see plenty of bikes out and about, no reason we can't pick up a few noobies like myself.

288RR

There are tons of riders out there.  I know we can get the ssa more active.   Dont get me wrong, I love doing the long rides, but I also think there need to be some shorter rides for some of the new guys.  And I think we can get that.  We just need more to post up rides that they have in mind.   Im game for doing the flyer or cards Mel.  Maybe we  can do a meet up like we did last year,  I think Mel you had the idea for that one at the a+w.   I think that way we could toss some ideas around on how to make us more active?  And it was a great way to meet some of the rides that we haven't rode with before. 

RenoRider75

My biggest issue is kids.  I only get to see my kids on the weekends, so for the time being weekend rides are hard for me to manage.  Once they get into their teenage years and start doing their own thing more, I'll likely have more time.  I'll need the bike therapy to help me cope with them growing up so fast.   :'(

I was talking to a new neighbor over the weekend, and he just bought a Ninja 300.  It's his first bike, and he's looking to get in as much saddle time as possible.  I mentioned the SSA to him, but if there is a PDF or something I can print out then I'll take one over.  I'll see if I can at least get him out on a shorter ride some evening.  :)

Tahoebrian5

In light of your post I decided to post up a short ride tonight. Check it out, would love some company if you are available
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.