Main Menu

Saturday 9/30 - 3-passes/Yosemite/mariposa little dragon loop

Started by dub, August 24, 2017, 01:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dub

This is the ride down to Yosemite on National Public Lands Day (fee free day) that we have done the last two years.

Unfortunately I already have plans that weekend, I'll be riding dirty at Stoneyford. So I wont be able to make the ride this year.

I just made this thread as a reminder of the date, in case others want to do the ride. Here's the route: Google Map.

Here are reference materials from the last two years: 2015's edition, 2016's edition. Last year we barely made it back over Ebbetts Pass at dusk, I recommend an even earlier start and/or less bullshitting to avoid the long ride home in the dark.

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

A DRAGON

THANKS DUB. SORRY TO SEE OUR ROUTE MASTER ISN'T GOING TO ATTEND.  WE'LL CARRY THE TORCH FOR OUR FREE DAY.

I'm in!!!!!!
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

GreenMachine

I was thinking I'd be out of town, but that's next weekend, as in August, not Sept.   

Looks like I better start charging the camera batteries. :evil1
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Vegasrider

Still haven't gotten over the nightmare with my experience at the park during 4th of July weekend. Traffic was beyond horrendous.

GreenMachine

Traffic shouldn't be half as bad at the end of September.  All the Europeans will be gone and the kiddies will be in school, so very different.  Probably still some congestion, but I was there a couple weeks ago and as bad as it was with traffic, I still was able to have my way with them.  Just follow one of us.  Pace will be far quicker than you might think.

Dub, if your plans change, keep it as a backup plan.  Would love to see you on a ride this year.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Sub-Sonic

Should be able to join this at some point during the route.  Could probably join in around Markleeville area, depending on the route.

Tahoebrian5

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

A DRAGON

AS MUCH AS I WANT TO GO GUYS. I'M OUT. I'LL HAVE MY KIDS TO ABOUT 2ISH. THAT'S THE WAY IT GOES. CHOOSING MY KIDS OVER YOU.  :egyptian :banana2 :nana   NO DISRESPECT
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

Sub-Sonic

In.  What time is the ride passing through Markleeville?, will meet up there.
Is there a general route planned over the passes?

Tahoebrian5

Looks like I'm out as well. The family camping trip got changed to this weekend.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

GreenMachine

Quote from: Sub-Sonic on September 27, 2017, 03:11:17 PM
In.  What time is the ride passing through Markleeville?, will meet up there.
Is there a general route planned over the passes?
Cool.  Huh.  Well, if it's just the two of us we can make our own schedule.  I'm planning on staying in the Central Valley afterwards.

Route for me will be Reno - Markleeville, over the top to Topaz, Lee Vining to Curry Village (Yosemite), spend a few hours there, then head towards Mariposa, Coulterville, Snelling, then Denair to meet up with family.

I can work around your timing.  You have the longer more difficult route to take.

Sub-Sonic

I can be in Markleeville by 1030.  Does that work or earlier/later?

GreenMachine

Good!  But are you sure you want to traverse the Sierras that early in the morning?  Take is slow and ride safe.  I can be there by then, which will be earlier than I would have probably made it there, given the seasonal chilly morning temps as of late.

That way you won't feel rushed, bomb around some blind corner to find a cow or an ice patch in your path.  And unless you need fuel or need something in Markleeville, why don't I just meet you at the T to Monitor (hwy 89/4)?

Sub-Sonic

^ I always leave early enough for a casual pace.  If I'm not in M'ville, head to the T (89/4), by say 1100 if that helps keep the start time a bit later for warmer temps.

GreenMachine

Okay, it's a plan.   8)

Meet you at the T (89/4) by 11:00 AM for sure and will pass through Markleeville on my way there.  I'll set my plan to be there by 10:30 AM and just chill.  I only have one stop in between and that will be for fuel in CC.  Don't want to repeat the problem I had this Summer where they ran out of fuel inside the park.

Figured we could eat in Curry Village or I could brown-bag it too.  I'll be taking along my rear luggage on this one, since I'll be overnighting in the Central Valley.  Hoping I can find a rental locker for my gear so I can go on a simple hike.  Last time I was there they only offered the lockers to campers.

Any interest in doing a hike while there?