Main Menu

anyone have a 696 Monster?

Started by n10sive, April 01, 2012, 03:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

n10sive

So Karin really liked SITTING on a 696 at Michaels this weekend and she likes the feel of the bike. However, it is the "entry" model Monster and it is not a "performance" model. Some of you know, she is very comfortable at the track. She wants this bike for street/commuting, but is worried that it might be underpowered/under performant for her.

She would REALLY like to ride one first before buying but as many of you know, good luck with test rides in Reno.

So does anyone have one? or know much about these bikes that might be able to provide some sage advice?

Oh...and one other issue. The bike at Micheal's is a 2008 and they want close to $10k for it!  :o A NEW one MSRP is $8500. Also, since it is a 2008, used go for about $5k so it will depreciate HUGELY as soon as it is off the floor. Hoping we can find someone there that will deal, but from our visit to the store on Saturday, I doubt it. People there act like they don't really care.

Thanks!
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

dub

Why do they think you would buy a 2008 model for $10k when a 2012 model is $8500?  That doesn't make sense.  Was it better in '08?
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

n10sive

I don't under stand the logic either dub. Even had a sign on it...REDUCED PRICE!

Guy could have been wrong. But seems a woman sitting on a bike going I LIKE THIS BIKE is not enough to get either of the 3 people who walked by us to stop long enough to answer anymore questions other than the price. There are some very disinterested people working there.

What is sad is MCW in Carson is getting rid of sportbikes from their inventory. The pickings in Reno are not much better (if you are Yamaha/Suzuki fan.

I think I might be better off riding over the hill :(
BMW R1200RT, 03 636 Track Bike

GreenMachine

I'd agree with your conclusion.  They don't call them stealerships for nothing and it does seem they hold their prices astronomically high.   The only person who would pay such outrageous prices would be someone with a ton of money or who doesn't know any better.  I guess there's the unlisted third option, 'the bike they're selling is so rare, you won't find it anywhere within a thousand miles.'
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

cobra23

I hate to beat up on Dealers.

I have been in Micheals several times, with mixed results. One very good visit, the sales guy talked with me for an hour. they have heped me with parts for the track bike as well, they have a decent selection of gear.

That was 1 or 2 of about 25 visits in the last two years. I work nearby, so they are easy to get to at lunch from work.

About three weeks ago, I was seriously looking at a Quad, for Mrs. C-2-3, several of the staff just walked by whle we where trying to cypher price etc..... Embarrasing... as I like to say to my wife... "we are done" and we leave.

I purchased a 2005 Duc in 2006, which was left over, time to clear the inventory etc. in Bellevue Washington got a very good deal and very good service. (Eastside Motosports)

There is also a great dealer in Salt Lake, Salt Lake City Motorsports. it seems like a long way but in realtiy not bad as there is very little traffic between here and Salt Lake.

http://www.saltlakemotorsports.com/?ovchn=MSN

This is a small shop that sells a bunch of bikes, and they support racing.

I will never understand Dealers who watch people walking about, without helping them. I ALMOST purchased a leftover MultiStrada from Micheals a couple years ago, until they gave me the price. needless to say it was nearly the indentical situation.

Before you give up, call somebody there who is in charge, and tell them you are either going to buy one there for a reasonable price, or drive over the Mountains.

You might be surprised, either way it will tell you what they really think.

Meantime, if you are reading this and you work at Micheals, you may want to ask yourself:

"How would a customer who has a good job and can afford to buy a new bike want to be treated?"

Personally; I work in a Machine Shop in Reno as the Quality Manager. All day long I am trying to give our Customers good feedback and service, when I want to spend 15K on a bike, or a car or whatever, I expect the same.

Ponder that one for a while.