Main Menu

Stupid question from a newb.

Started by MnMTriumph, September 21, 2008, 02:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MnMTriumph

It is getting down below frezing up hear at nite. Was wondering do you need a motercycle antifreeze or can I use what I use for my cars?

karneybo

No don't use the same stuff you'd use in your car.  pay alittle more and get the right stuff specaily formulated for motorcycle engines
Carney

MnMTriumph

yzinger

add a little whiskey, or just jet fuel. the freezing level is well below that of water.  ;D ;D ;D

p.s.

DONT DO THIS.

Justin

What was is in the bike now?  Why do you want to replace it?

A DRAGON

I keep my machines in my garage all winter and just keep water wetter in them. I do start them every week though. I love to hear them purrr in the winter to.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

MnMTriumph

Quote from: Justino on September 21, 2008, 09:22:39 PM
What was is in the bike now?  Why do you want to replace it?

For the RFR track day I will not but for the infinion one I will change to water. I just figured that if I had to drain it just replace with new that way I get no dirt in my system.

Justin

The funnel I got has a wire mesh filter, which keeps it clean.  You could bottle it up and save it (but it's not too expensive to repurchase)
I swapped the fluid on my Sprint ST.  It's an easy job.  I flushed with distilled water 3 times and i was happy with the clarity of what came was draining

1 FIRST drain the coolant reservoir.
This can be done at any time, but i don't want you to forget. (just pop off the lowest hose)

2 Next drain the coolant.
I removed the hose clamp that goes into the water pump drained it by pulling the hose off.

3 Push the hose back on (no hose clamp required) fill the radiator with distilled water , RUN the bike for 45 seconds. turn it off. pull the hose off, drain it, push the hose on. fill, run, drain. . .
  WHEN you're satisfied with the flushness of your flushings proceed to step 4

4. MIX your water wetter with DISTILLED WATER (Rite aid 1.19/gallon) (I can't remember if it's 12 capfulls of water wetter for the triumph)  Don't use too much wetter. (read the back of the water wetter label for precise amounts) AND
  Fill your radiator with your mixture.  FILL IT AS SLOWLY AS YOU CAN TOLERATE TO REDUCE THE POSSIBILITY of TRAPPING AIR IN THE coolant system. 
  FIll it to the top of the radiator cap. 
  Start the bike. 
  Blip the throttle a few times. (You can watch the water get sucked in the system) 
  Add more water to the top of the rad cap again.  Keep doing it (AS SLOW AS YOU CAN TOLERATE) until it won't take any more.
  Now fill up the overflow reservoir between the  MIN and MAX lines.
Presto. your done.
Don't expect to see any real change in operating temps. but at least you are protecting the track and other riders.

Justin

PS.  Jerome taught me to put aluminum foil over the exhaust pipes to avoid dripping antifreeze on them (or oil when you change it)
PS.  The fluid will stay cool, because you aren't keeping the distilled water in and running for too long but the EXHAUST pipes will melt your hand or your plastic pan.
PS.  It's ok to take it OFF the center stand to wiggle more fluid out of your machine.

that's all i can think of

A DRAGON

Yeah that's about the way I done all my bikes. Good job Justino.
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750