Main Menu

Roll Call: VC, CC, West Lake Tahoe loop

Started by GreenMachine, May 11, 2016, 01:03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

*** Updated ***
Planned 9:30 AM kickstands up (KSU).*  Conditions should be ideal.

RSVP** if you're planning on going.   If you do not RSVP, the ride may be canceled even if you had planned on showing up the day of the ride.  We'll depart on the ride as soon as everyone arrives and is ready, meaning, that if there are any newb riders, I will go over some of the key items they'll need to know.

South route ride.  This is a minimum C level ride pace route, so all riders welcome.  Meet at the Geiger Maverik Country Store. 

As always, see 2016 SSA Ride Schedule for everything that is expected of you and what you can expect.  *** Safety is paramount. ***

Hope to see you there.

Original post: Planned 9:30 AM kickstands up (KSU).*  But unclear which route.  Have one vote to ride Downieville again, so we might change this ride to a north route, if that becomes the case. 

What's your preference?

* KSU dependent on when everybody is ready.
** RSVP - répondez, s'il vous plaît a.k.a. please reply.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RichVee4

Not looking for an all day ride so liked the idea of the shorter original plan.   Will keep an eye on the post and see what everyone decides.
Live long and prosper \V/

cobra23

What kind of pace are you planning?

I don't care for triple digits on the street anymore, nor do I wish to hand over any hard earned cash to the communist republic of Californistan.

I have yet to get in on one of these rides. I always rode the track days when SSA was doing that.

The Guzzi will carry me on a brisk pace, and the Ducati will carry a higher pace.

I also do not know where the Kickstand up location is as it is abbreviated, I imagine to keep it private. Not sure I can make it as Mrs. Cobra 23 keeps me pretty busy around the house, but a half day ride seems like a perfect way to introduce myself.

Sold the track bike, so no track days this summer. I would sure like to see if I would fit into your rides.

GreenMachine

Cobra or anybody on the fence about joining us,

*** Safety is paramount. ***

Please read the Safe Group Riding Tips in the 2016 SSA group ride schedule.  Sorry if rides from eons ago were triple digit in nature and that curbed your enthusiasm for riding with us the last four of five years, but I usually get complaints (TRUE) from others asking me to at least go the speed of traffic so it doesn't feel like we're being blown off the road. 

If you have a class M license and can follow our group riding rules, you'll fit right in and have a good time.  :P

I'll be leading, unless someone wants to go faster or lead (I can sweep also), which means we'll be near speed limit/traffic speeds the whole way.   If that sounds boring to you, please feel free to lead.  Once into the curvy sections, still close to speed limits -- conditions dictate, i.e. we may be doing 30 MPH around 35 MPH turns.  If we get cited, it'll be for something other than speeding.  Maybe not enough reflectors at the back of a bike or something petty.  99% sure you'll be riding home with a smile on your face, without feeling like a jackass.

Rich, I'm down for whatever.  Could even do the originally planned ride on Saturday, then Downieville on Sunday for others. TB5 mentioned to me he wanted to ride Downieville, simply because he hasn't been able to ride street this year.  Who knows, maybe we'll put you and Cobra on one ride, while TB5 and I will do the other, just for parity.  Or if TB5 feels like doing both, VC, CC, Tahoe, Truckee, he and I can split off and do more and those who want more can do more and those who want to turn for home can do that.  Hopefully, he'll chime in with what he's thinking.  Lots of options and time to decide.

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

RichVee4

I will plan to do the scheduled ride on Sunday, or some version of it, for whoever wants to do that, have other commitment Sat.   Not a fan of splitting the group in to two rides, whats the point of a group ride if everyone goes their own direction.   Keep it simple. 

Cobra, pace can be anything you are comfortable with. Typically I like to ride at a sporty touring pace, maybe 10 over but nothing excessive.  My wife rides too and we are more interested in having a good time than seeing how many cars we can pass. 

Meeting spot is Mavericks base of Geiger.

Hope to see you out there

GreenMachine

I agree.  The thing about where I suggested we splitting off is basically the end of the ride anyway.  From Truckee to home, is less 'group ride' anyway. 

I'm up for doing both.

GreenMachine

cobra23

OK fellas you talked me into it. I will be there Sunday, 0930.

Trying to get my buddy from work to join us. I am good to hook for either ride, as I am geographically challenged, don't know where these places are; even had to ask my buddy where is Maverick on Geiger grade. I think the road through Sierraville I have ridden but only once.

I have not done a group street ride since I left Washington State for Nevada in 2007. Looking forward to it. Your description of the pace fits just right.

The group rides in the Cascade Mountains of Washington were fun at any speed, I knew the roads there well. Here not so sure. So more cautious. I'll be on the Guzzi, unless my buddy from work joins us, then it will be the blue Ducati Monster for me. My buddy (Jarrod) rides a 796 Monster.

The Monster likes fuel, it will need a fill up at 100 miles.

I figure it is about a 4 hour ride.

See you then... 23 out

GreenMachine

Cobra, this ride is as titled, so Downieville is not a part of it.  Just so you know.

Yes, bring along any riders you'd like to have join the ride.  For everyone's safety, we just ask that they understand group riding etiquette, which is spelled out in the 2016 SSA group ride schedule.  The more the merrier.  :)

I believe you're coming into town from Fernley, only 30 miles away.  So you know, I plan on stopping in CC for fuel myself, simply due to the fact their gas is $0.50 cheaper per gallon than in Washoe County.  Your bike will be in the 70 mile odometer range by that point.  I think that'll be good for you and your buddy too, so neither of you will need any up in Tahoe.  Maybe in Truckee or Reno on the way back, but far cheaper in those locations than Tahoe.  Plus it'll reduce the number of times you have to stop for fuel, which means we'll have more time for picture taking around the lake!   ;)

cobra23

I did me home work. The shorter ride is good.

Fuel in Carson.

I found the route on the group ride schedule thread.
Read all the stuff.

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

Don't want to jinx us, but the weather forecast for Tahoe/Truckee is showing a 50% chance of rain showers by 3PM on Sunday.

We'll want to keep an eye on the changing conditions. 

I don't like riding in the rain, unless we're riding through it to some place warm and dry.   >:(

Vegasrider

Let's make it Duc party, I'm tentative in.

RichVee4

Think we will be done before that, but if not we have lots of route options with this ride incase mother nature wants to rain on our party.

GreenMachine

Washing the bike this morning, then I'll be ready. 

Oooh, chilly out there ATM.   ???