Main Menu

Roll Call: Downieville Group Ride 10:00 AM start 04/30/15

Started by GreenMachine, April 28, 2016, 08:31:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

MOVED the date due to the VCGP.  This will be a Saturday ride.

Planned 10:00 AM kickstands up (KSU).*  Riding Downieville on Saturday allows us to catch our SSA racers, SLmoto and RichVee4 riding the VCGP.  So our group ride won't be on the traditional date it usually is.  Oh well, that's the way we ride, I suppose.   ;)

This is one of our more fun short rides (< 200 miles), taking us up into the snow covered Sierras, with vistas, running rivers along side and warm weather to accompany for most of the day.  We'll decide as a group if we want to take in a little more or head back.  Yuba Pass will probably be rather boring, if not, scary to ride.  We'll ride only as fast as the conditions will permit.  There will more than likely be sand on the roadway. 

Bring your camera if you can. We'll ride up Gold Lake loop a mile to the lookout for a brief photo stop.

RSVP** if you're planning on going.   If you do not RSVP, the ride may be canceled even if you had planned on showing up the day of the ride.  We'll depart on the ride as soon as everyone arrives and is ready, meaning, that if there are any newb riders, I will go over some of the key items they'll need to know.

North route ride.  This is a minimum C level ride pace route, so all riders welcome.  Meet at Starbucks or thereabouts (if parking is an issue).

As always, see 2016 SSA Ride Schedule for everything that is expected of you and what you can expect.  *** Safety is paramount. ***

Hope to see you there.

* KSU dependent on when everybody is ready.
** RSVP - répondez, s'il vous plaît a.k.a. please reply.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

PAPASMURF

S1000R
R1250RS

GreenMachine

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Vegasrider

What's the weather suppose to be like, especially after all this rain, the roads might be a bit dirty.  Debating now since I found out Tioga Pass is still closed.

GreenMachine

That's kind of a funny question, given that we have a link with both the by-hour weather for Reno and live Doppler images linked in the SSA header.   :o ;)
The forecast by ride time is partly cloudy in Reno, 2% chance tapering off.

It appears we might desire to adjust the route, if you guys are up for it or we can cancel.  I think we'll be alright heading west initially, like I did last week.  Maybe skip Yuba pass & 89, J it to Colfax, Dog Valley, hwy 49 to Bassetts and decide if we want to ride back the same way or continue on over Gold Lake to 70.  Colfax will be nearly 70° and sunny by the time we get there, if we choose that route.  Temps appear to hold about that temp for the remainder of the afternoon.

Overnight temps will be warm.  Truckee will be 44° by the time we get up there.  Sunday will be cooler, but Saturday will be downright nice.   

If it's like last weekend, by the time we go over, the roads will be more dry than wet, but our bikes will probably get dirty from road grime.

I feel like riding and I know I can control my wrist, so I'm not concerned.  It was really quite nice weather last weekend for a ride.  The weather doesn't appear much different this weekend.

RichVee4

Caltrans webcam link.   Next best thing to actually being there to see road conditions.   80 looked mostly dry already.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist3/departments/traffic/cameras/

Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

Rich,

You and I think alike.  I have that same bookmark next to Intellicast. 

Conditions are as forecast.  It's cloudy and cool up to Truckee.  Clearing up as we head west. I'm thinking we go with the J plan.  Get over to Colfax and ride from there once we're in the sun.  Reno will by partly cloudy all day, but we wont.

The one drawback will be getting over chilly Donner Summit.  Bring hand protection or turn on whatever hand warming apparatus you have.  There was a dusting of snow laid down yesterday, but the roads all look dry.

C U. guys at Starbucks here in a little bit.

Vegasrider

PAPASMURF

STILL sounds like fun. obkb. see you all at 4 bucks.
S1000R
R1250RS

Vegasrider

GreenMachine

You guys really made this ride fun for me.

Thanks for indulging all my little stops and excursions.  Kinda got mixed up for the gas spot near Nevada City.  Wrong exit.  Doh!

Vegas, that was some fun going up & down Iowa Hill eh?  Mel would be proud.  Papa took a shot too.  I have greater patience though, so I just waited you guys out.  It was so nice basking in the sun.  Could have easily taken a nice nap.

Vegasrider

I got 49.35 miles on my tank between Reno and where we filled up at Nevada City.  I'll probably go fill up tomorrow to see what I got on the last fill up which included most of the spirited portion of the ride.  Impressed that GM was able to do the 200 plus ride on a single tank.  Must be the tuck position. 

GreenMachine

That's stratospheric for a Ducati!  Maybe you were a bit hasty in getting the extra tank? 

I don't have the Sierra Buttes hike on the schedule this year.  It would be a good little ride/hike event for some Saturday.  Anytime from June thru Sept would work.  I'll post one somewhere in the middle of the season and we'll see what happens.

We have a bunch of Yosemite rides planned this season as well, if it sounds like you're looking for more long rides. 

:evil1  In the interest of safety, I'm going to keep on Papasmurf about the leathers.  Too bad about his finger.

Vegasrider

Quote from: GreenMachine on May 01, 2016, 07:16:29 AM
In the interest of safety, I'm going to keep on Papasmurf about the leathers.  Too bad about his finger.

How about being more color coordinated with the new bike too!.