Main Menu

Chomping at the bit to ride? Play it smart.

Started by GreenMachine, March 16, 2016, 01:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

Be careful out there.  It's only March.  Roads will be dirty or icy or wet in the shadows.  Nobody wants to read about your accident or worse.   :-\ 

I know we're all excited about getting some twisties action in after having parked the bike for months, but remember that many of our mountain roadways are filthy dirty from NevadaTrans roadway sanding operations.  I rode over VC last weekend.  Both sides had tracks of sand inconveniently bunched up in the turns.  That's to be expected.

This is the time of year when the stories begin about crashes on Geiger or Mt. Rose highway.  Just remember the season will be long and there will be times when the weather will be perfect, but you won't want to or cannot ride anyway.  Build up your confidence and try not to push the limits of the conditions as they present themselves.  It's not worth it.  Then, next year, you can tell me to stop the nagging!

For more on safe riding tips from other SSA members, read here.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

GreenMachine

And please, whatever you do, color coordinate your duct tape leather holes cover-up.  Get some that has good adhesive and doesn't flap in the wind.   :angel

I normally find motorcycle crashes upsetting and unnerving, but this one does have me kind of snickering.  Just have to wonder if he went through all that trouble knowing it was his intention to put his bike into the dirt like that.

I think I'm ready.
Full suit leathers.  Check!
Foot & ankle protection: tennis shoes and ankle high socks. Check!
Holes and tears in leathers.  Check!
Dumb looking sharp contrast tape covering leather holes and tears. Lime green is all my parent's had. Oh well.  Check!
Knee puck nearly falling off.  Check!

Ready for whatever the world throws at me. Off we go. Brrrrrrum!!
Going too fast.  Check!
Showing others that I cannot ride above my skill level.  Check!
Sitting rigidly on the seat, tape flapping in the wind.  Check!
Don't get off the throttle for anything.  No Fear, remember!?  Check!
Don't trust the tires to maintain corner grip, but do depend on them to corner and brake at the same time.  Check!
Try to break fall with hands.  Check!  Maybe I can still save it?  No, guess not.  :(
Look first before hitting the kill switch, hoping that nobody saw bike covered in a cloud of dust.  Check!
Make it appear to others that I meant to do that; just parking the bike on its side.  Who doesn't do that, right??
Owwie!  My wrists hurt!!!
Okay, nobody is buying that I parked the bike on its side.  Better pick it up.  Quickly!  Quickly!  Before they see!
Damn it!  Forgot to put the back seat all the way down after putting in an open bag of Skittles. 

DERSCH! How am I going to hide this from mom when I get home? 

Getting forever remembered for crashing due to panic braking in a Rnickymouse video.  Priceless!  8)

RichVee4

Among other issues in that video,  if you look at the front suspension in the slow motion replay before the lowside the rider is about as opposite from smooth as one can get on the controls.   Hope he learned something or found a safer hobby.

Watched some of the other videos showing that same corner and a lot of expensive equipment gets torn up there.
Live long and prosper \V/

PAPASMURF

looked like there was NO reason to fall down and go boom. but somehow he found one. didn't even look like he was going too fast.  ???  ;  what can i say but  POOP OCCURRED.  :o

by the way, anyone going for a ride this saturday? or sunday for that matter? ;D
S1000R
R1250RS

Vegasrider

Finally waved to another motorcyclist last week, although it was one of our county's motors,  it's been several month's since I have seen one.  Looks like they are coming out of hibernation too.   

288RR

It's nice that's it finally warming up.    Ive started riding to work.  I think I have had the bike out more so far this year than the whole last year.

RichVee4

^^Just need to free up a weekend day and you can join a ride now.    Rode a little dirt and street Sat,  Peavine in the morning then afternoon with the Mrs up to Virginia Highlands.   Conditions were good.  Had a horse start crossing Geiger in front of us and we slowed for it but the horse waited until we rode by then crossed behind us.  A lot more intelligent than a deer.  Good number of bikes out.

GreenMachine

Rode 49 yesterday.  Dodging lots of rocks, from small sharp ones to big ones that'll knock you off your bike.  From past the 89/49 turnoff to Bassetts is like riding a dirt flat-track.  Bend the bike over or hit the gas too abruptly and you'll go for a wild ride.

RichVee4

Your are getting some serious seat time in already this year.  I have some catching up to do!  Cant beat the weather today.  Like you said its a little early for higher elevation passes. 

wills

Quote from: GreenMachine on April 02, 2016, 12:00:55 PM
Rode 49 yesterday.  Dodging lots of rocks, from small sharp ones to big ones that'll knock you off your bike.  From past the 89/49 turnoff to Bassetts is like riding a dirt flat-track.  Bend the bike over or hit the gas too abruptly and you'll go for a wild ride.

I was thinking about Yuba...too early yet! So back to lapping the truck route for now.
Stop Global Whining!
2015 1200RS
2018 H2 SE
Old Sprint Back East

GreenMachine

If you like obstacle avoidance training west of Bassetts and slipping and sliding over Yuba, you're missing some good roads then. :evil1

Thanks for the input.  It's good to know I saved someone the trouble.  Such a beautiful day!

PAPASMURF

went over yuba yesterday to downieville yesterday
like GM said, flat trackin' till bassets. after that, great
road. was fun. today went to graeagle, then to vc and
down the truck route. was nice. a bit cool at 10am though.
S1000R
R1250RS

Tahoebrian5

What's up SSA! I been out a couple times recently just getting the cob webs out. Monitor is open so thinking about doing an exploratory mission soon. I'm booked this weekend so maybe mid week next week. That video is awesome. You could see his forks wallowing before he even hit the brakes.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

GreenMachine