Main Menu

Sun 9/21 11am - Short Ride and Lunch in Carson City

Started by RichVee4, September 19, 2014, 04:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichVee4

If anyone is interested in a shorter ride Sunday this is what I had in mind.    

Meet at Mavericks S. Reno 11am. Ride Mt Rose to Incline.  Yes there may be some construction, wasn't an issue last ride a month ago. Plus its Sunday not sure if they are working or not.   Continue along East shore of Lake Tahoe to 50 then Spooner to Carson City.

Stop for lunch at Old Reds 395 Grill.   If you haven't been there it a really cool place and has good food.  See pic of bar, yes that's 101 beers :)  Hangout for a bit and watch a little Football then return via either East lake or VC.

Drove East lake in Washoe Valley today and saw a group of wild horses along the road and 50 plus deer in the alfalfa fields.  

I wont be checking the forum most of the day Sat so may not get back right away if there are any questions.

Live long and prosper \V/

288RR

Mel

Hey guys, just a heads up...the Tahoe Triathalon is on Sunday and traffic will be a mess up there.

Mel

RichVee4

Ironman route is a loop around 267 and 89 along the truckee river, so we wont be anywhere close to that.  My daughter drove over Mt Rose Fri evening and said the new paved part was fantastic.

See you soon!

RichVee4

Ironman was just cancelled due to smoke.  My daughter does PM for N Tahoe and is up there this AM.   Web cams show smoke on north/west shore but east shore looks ok.  Wind is from the East so will keep the smoke away from us.  There is a 50% chance of rain also, so need to factor that in.   Taking the dog for a walk and will check things out at 10 and update.   

http://www.rntl.net/tahoecam.htm

GreenMachine

You might want to reconsider after you look at the current doppler conditions.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Mel

GM, you ain't gonna melt with a little rain on you :) :)!!

Mel

GreenMachine

What makes you think that's my concern?  You might as well invent some other fiction.  How about it brings the mosquitoes out and I'm fearful of having their bloody DNA carrying payload splatter on my helmet?   

No, I don't like a messy bike and gear.  I also don't take any joy in riding in the rain, there's almost no tilt to my horizon.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Mel

You would be surprised how much "tilt in your horizon" you can get in the rain, but you're excused because you didn't grow up on the coast :)!

Mel

GreenMachine

It's not great, but it does appear to be drying out a bit on the light rains that are in the region. 

I wonder if Dub is still going.  He's got the bike and gear for it.

dub

Quote from: GreenMachine on September 21, 2014, 09:39:14 AMHow about it brings the mosquitoes out and I'm fearful of having their bloody DNA carrying payload splatter on my helmet?

That's how you get malaria.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

dub

Quote from: GreenMachine on September 21, 2014, 09:43:31 AMI wonder if Dub is still going.  He's got the bike and gear for it.

Weathers fine in Carson and points south. Just a light overcast.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

288RR

RichVee4

If you like calm cool conditions with overcast and no direct sun, today is your day.  I did get like 5 rain drops on me in my 3 mile walk so rain is very light in NW Reno.  

I guess we can change our route and avoid Mt Rose.  New pavement and any rain is not a good idea.   I still need to eat lunch so the weather to the east i.e. VC looked better.

Since its just Daniel coming what to you think?   Monica and Laura may join us also.

I am still thinking CC is doable.  Radar only shows precip around Mt Rose area, remainder of route is clear.

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx?location=USNV0076&animate=true

GreenMachine

:hiding

I have a feeling they both did.  We were suppose to leave by 8:40 AM, which in dry conditions would have put us to CC early enough for the 9:30 *bucks meet.

It was just bad timing.  Right as we would have been leaving from Reno, either route through Washoe Valley or over VC were getting rained on.   Seriously.  I watched the doppler of where we would have been and it would have been raining, albeit lightly, on us all the way down to Topsy.

Here's your chance to catch that other ride.  Go!