Main Menu

Chain & Sprocket help!

Started by KawasakiNoob, September 06, 2014, 08:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KawasakiNoob

Hey all! I am in need of a new chain & sprocket for my 94 kawi ninja ex500! I am new to motorcycles and am trying to learn. I was wondering if there was anybody who has done chain and sprocket before and would be down to do the project with me for learning purposes? Ill pay a little something for your time! I want to do almost all the work under instruction. (plus it would save me the crazy high costs of paying a shop!) Let me know! Thanks ;D

288RR

I don't have my chain tools anymore,  my old friend needed them more than I did.....

GreenMachine

Does it need it already?  I wouldn't be able to help you out either.  I tried it once on my old liter bike, but it was embarrassingly complicated.  Getting the chain off was difficult and turned out to be the easy part.  Before that, I'd just buy the tools and parts I needed with a master link and it was simple.  You could probably get away with doing that on a 500. You'll still need to know how many links to buy first, including the master link.  Make sure the clip is installed in the proper direction, so there aren't forces working on it to spit it off.

On anything more powerful though, most people just have the shop do it.  They'll put on a pressed-on master link.  Rich at Race & Ride Motosource does all that stuff for me now.  I highly recommend his shop for the work, plus he gives a discount for SSA members if you ask.  They'll be closed on Sunday though.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

If you bring it down to gardnerville I will show you.

Don't listen to GM. Use a rivet style master link; it's easy.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

GreenMachine

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

KawasakiNoob

Quote from: dub on September 07, 2014, 09:11:40 AM
If you bring it down to gardnerville I will show you.

Don't listen to GM. Use a rivet style master link; it's easy.

That would be awesome, gonna be getting the part soon in the mail. I will DM you soon to plan out a little further if your still down. Thanks!

dub

Quote from: KawasakiNoob on September 08, 2014, 02:38:35 PMThat would be awesome, gonna be getting the part soon in the mail. I will DM you soon to plan out a little further if your still down. Thanks!

Sounds good. What parts did you get?
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019