Main Menu

Bike suggestion for a new rider

Started by Tahoebrian5, August 08, 2014, 11:45:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tahoebrian5

I've got a friend that is planning to buy a bike soon. He's on a tight budget.. 2k in the bank so far but willing to save a bit more. He used to ride a lot but that was 30 years ago. I let him test ride my cbr and now he is hooked. Anyway, what would you guys suggest for hm? I was thinking maybe an SV650. They seem to be fairly cheap but also capable. I don't have any firsthand experience though. What years are good, etc. I saw a gen 1 on barf for 2500. Other thoughts? He's wanting to be a bit more upright than a cbr/gsxr/etc. how is the riding position on the SV's?
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

GreenMachine

Not a bad choice.  I think anything in the 500cc - 700cc range for a returning rider with $2K in cash, would be enough to get by with.  They're easy enough to buy and sell, when the time comes to move to another bike better suited to how he likes to ride.  Personally, something with more torque than horsepower would probably be best  until he figures it out.  Torque bikes are more forgiving and might get him out of a bind.

You may have spoiled him though.  He's use to a 30 y.o. bike, the pinnacle of riding technology back then. 

As compared to your modern handling FI bike, he must have been loving it.

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

cobra23

I have no idea...but am totally digging that KZ photo.

Tahoebrian5

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." —Tom Waits

According to the latest survey, 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

dub

That's Ed Haazer's race bike. Come out to an AFM weekend and you can watch him race it in the Vintage class. Jimi Mac also took it to the Isle and raced it in the Manx GP last year.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

RichVee4

I bought a 05 SV650 for my sons first bike.  We've had it a couple years and power is impressive for a 650, clip ons are a little low for me but Greg loves it and can ride for hrs.  You or your friend are welcome to check it out just let me know. Don't know about all the years but earlier SV's were know for the curvey frame and body work.  Newer models look more modern.

We've also had a FZ6 for the Mrs. first bike.  It has a one piece bar and more comfortable/upright riding position.  Very comfortable and easy to ride for a beginner.  Power is sufficient but takes some effort, low torque.

Features we liked with both bikes were good fuel range, light weight, good brakes and wind protection.

Hope that helps

Live long and prosper \V/