Main Menu

ROLL CALL................Saturday: Ice House and Wentworth Springs

Started by nvgixxer, August 08, 2014, 05:15:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nvgixxer

Saturday - Placerville forecast is calling for sunny and 91 degrees.
Smoke from the Yosemite area fire would more than likely take the fun out of a ride down that way, so I'm proposing to do the Ice House / Wentworth Springs route, if anyone would be interested. The route I have planned will be newbie friendly, meaning that no goat trail detour routes will be included. Meet up will be at 8:00 at the NORTH Starbucks in Carson City ( off hwy 395 and College Park Way, just south of McDonalds) with departure at around 8:30. This ride is approx. 230 miles round trip from Carson City with many stops for photo shoots and BSing along the way ( I can hear GM cussing that prospect).
Route = Carson City up hwy 50 (Spooner Summit) to South Lake Tahoe then take Pioneer Trail to the Chevron Station at the junction of hwy 50 for a leg stretch and gas up, if needed. Then it's up and over Myers Grade on Hwy 50 to the Ice House Road turnoff and quick stop at the rest area 1/2 mile in. After another quick stop at the intersection of Ice House and Wentworth Springs Road, it's off towards Georgetown on one of the sweetest stretches of track like twisties you'd ever imagine! After lunch and gas in Georgetown we could reverse the route home or head into Placerville and take hwy 50 back home that way. For the Reno riders, they would have the option of heading west towards Auburn and then back home via Hwy 80.
C'mon gang, life is short and the season grows even shorter, let's do it!!

Jimbo   
2015 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2012 Kawasaki ZX14R (sold)
2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2007 Suzuki GSXR1000 (totaled)
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
2003 Suzuki GSXR1000 (sold)

RichVee4

Wish I could, but I am heading out of town today with my son for our annual backpacking trip. We are heading down to the Saddlebag lake area off Tioga pass rd.

Hope to catch you next weekend on the Sonora Pass ride.

Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

I'm up for a ride with you again NV.  You want to do Ice House and WWS instead of the planned hwys 108/4? 

It'll be two weekends in a row.  ;)

I'm good with a shorter ride, for a change.  And earlier works better for me too.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Toml

nvgixxer

Hope to see you guys at Starbucks in the morning!
Interesting thing happened this morning at Starbucks, met a guy (Mark) who wants to ride with us next year. He's grounded this season due to recent shoulder surgery. I almost spilled my coffee when I asked him if he had heard of the SSA forum. Apparently he along with Jerome and a few others whose names I have never heard of actually created the SSA way back when. Mark said they circulated flyers all around town inviting riders to come join up.

Jimbo 

GreenMachine

BC was a central figure in the start of SSA too.  I think the Internet search engines (Google, Yahoo, etc) do a good enough job spidering our site that anyone with less than average IQ could find us.  What made the club grow however, was the joining of the track riders and group riders due to RFR and SSA's affiliation with one another.  SSA was able to take a few dollars in, enough to sponsor bike night give-aways which brought riders in from near and far.

Al hosted the festivities at his restaurant, so we had a great place to hangout too.  All anyone had to do was show up for the raffle and win free stuff.

I bet SSA would grow uncontrollably if I gave out free beer on bike nights.  It would be like Sturgis.  I'm not SSA and I am limited with my funds, so that'll never happen.   :P
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

nvgixxer

Quote from: GreenMachine on August 08, 2014, 03:15:52 PM
BC was a central figure in the start of SSA too.  I think the Internet search engines (Google, Yahoo, etc) do a good enough job spidering our site that anyone with less than average IQ could find us.  What made the club grow however, was the joining of the track riders and group riders due to RFR and SSA's affiliation with one another.  SSA was able to take a few dollars in, enough to sponsor bike night give-aways which brought riders in from near and far.

Al hosted the festivities at his restaurant, so we had a great place to hangout too.  All anyone had to do was show up for the raffle and win free stuff.

I bet SSA would grow uncontrollably if I gave out free beer on bike nights.  It would be like Sturgis.  I'm not SSA and I am limited with my funds, so that'll never happen.   :P
Yeah, Mark was telling me how the club at one time had $30,000 in the bank, until someone stole it all and skipped town!?

GreenMachine

I'm not aware of any thefts within SSA.  ADragon passed the power of treasurer to some other members at one time, but it wasn't because of trust.  As far as I know, the treasurer didn't misuse funds either and the SSA bank account is still intact. 

Of course, there haven't been regular meetings and I don't know what the balance of funds are within SSA, but the Web site is paid for out of SSA funds, which ADragon has in his sole possession.

GreenMachine

Jimbo, I'm not finding the Starbucks you're referring to, exactly.  The map shows a Starbucks on College Parkway (<is this it?>) but the McDonalds is to the south of it, not north of it.  Can you give me a cross street for where this meetup is taking place?  I'm planning on leaving Reno about 7:30, which should put me down there around 8:15 AM.

For those wanting to take in VC on the way down to CC, meet up is at Maverik Country Store at 7:25 AM, KSU (kick stands up) at 7:30 AM.  If I miss you, take whatever route gets you down to CC between 8:00 - 8:30 AM.

After all, this is Jimbo's ride, not mine. 

NevadaWolf

I think he means the one on North Carson Street, in the old K-Mart shopping center. College Parkway is to the north with 7-11, Burger King, and Bully's at the corner. Next cross street I think is Nye Lane to the south.

Starbucks
3228 N Carson St #15
Carson City, NV 89706

Just taking a guess but fits the description.

nvgixxer

Thank you Nevadawolf, that's the place!
PLEASE BE ADVISED:
From personal emails and no other responses here for this ride, it appears that GM and I are the only ones going out today. So GM, I'll meet you at the Mavericks at 7:30ish and will do the VC route with you. Then, just in case someone does show at the CC Starbucks, we'll cruise by there at 8:15 and wait until 8:30 before we head out for points unknown?? I'm committed to another BBQ this evening, so I'm open for the WWS or similar relatively short ride. Hell, maybe Monitor could be on the radar, or Ebbetts?
SO........ I'll see you at the Mavericks, don't leave without me.

Jimbo

GreenMachine

Glad I clarified.*  I would have been across town.   :D  Where the heck is Jimbo?  I'm semi-one time and he's nowhere to be found.  Guess he left without me.   :P

Toml, just stick with your original plan of meeting in CC, if you can find that Starbucks on N. Carson street (Map link here).  Hope to see you there.

Jimbo, I'll see you in a few minutes in S. Reno.

* Thanks a ton NVwolf!  You saved the day!

GreenMachine

Jimbo,

Home and not a moment too soon.  Well, an hour or two was enough.  The clouds just opened up on us here in Reno.  Huge drops smacking down outside. 

Your BBQ may be a little humid too, no?

nvgixxer

Quote from: GreenMachine on August 09, 2014, 05:10:03 PM
Jimbo,

Home and not a moment too soon.  Well, an hour or two was enough.  The clouds just opened up on us here in Reno.  Huge drops smacking down outside.  

Your BBQ may be a little humid too, no?
Yes, it was a wet one at my son's house, we ate inside, needless to say. Another downpour and double rainbow afterwards, awesome sight.
I'm worn out after 90 degree heat and keeping pace with you today, so I'll post my pics in the morning.
Whew......my new rear tire isn't so new after Ice House and a few laps on WWS! Ohhhhh, but so much fun!! I loved it, thanks GM!

Jimbo

nvgixxer

GM's pics are in the Private content - SSA members section, but here are a few I took yesterday.
YIKES, GM got busted! But after wrestling the gun from the sheriff and holding off his deputy at gun point, we beat a hasty retreat back into Nevada territory!