Main Menu

MSF Ridercoach Prep Class May 2017

Started by Vegasrider, January 16, 2017, 07:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vegasrider

I'm planning on registering for this upcoming class in May since I lost my certification a couple of years ago since moving  to Idaho.  But I'm back now and apparently, Northern Nevada is short on coaches.  If anyone is interested in becoming an instructor, shoot me a PM and I can provide you with contact information or answer any questions you might have.  The classes are held for three consecutive weekends in May down in Carson City.  I think most of you on this forum would qualify as far as experience goes, however you do need to provide a copy of your DMV record indicating that you have 0 or very little points. 

Some of the benefits of being a rider coach besides being paid, you don't get speeding tickets when you get pulled over.  Joking of course, but you do receive great benefits, such as 50% discounts off Shoei helmets and accessories, and most vendors will sell you gear at dealer's cost.  I personally put over 2000 riders out on the road while I coached down in Las Vegas, and plan on doing the same for Northern Nevada.

GreenMachine

I think it says on the MSF site that coaches must first pass the MSF course.

Sounds a lot more in depth and probably for good reason.

https://www.msf-usa.org/ridercoaches.aspx
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

RichVee4

Is there a way for an experienced rider to receive MSF certification without having to take the entire course?  Just complete the skills portion or whatever testing they have? 
Live long and prosper \V/

Vegasrider

The Basic MSF Course is not a prerequisite. Actually the training is hosted and performed by the Nevada Rider Motorcycle Safety Program.  They just use the MSF curriculum.   However, during your Rider Coach Prep Class, their curriculum will take you through the Basic Class, so essentially you will complete the Basic course through your prep training.  At least that's how it was when I went through the training back in 2009 in Vegas.  There is also a written and skills evaluation which is much more comprehensive, which you use their training bikes to pass.  So essentially any experienced rider is eligible to become a RC as long as you have held a M endorsement for two consecutive years, and have a good driving/riding record.  I think you can make up to $425 a weekend teaching with the college.  Not sure what Battle Born HD down in CC pays, but I was informed they are also looking for coaches. 

From the riders I have met and ridden with on this forum, you would all excel as a coach.