Main Menu

Winter is finally over

Started by Vegasrider, March 01, 2016, 08:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dub

There are certain acts, such as declaring winter is over, along with taking off your snow tires, putting away your snow shovels, or turning on your sprinklers which pretty much guarantee you will see one more good snow.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

Vegasrider

Quote from: slmoto on March 28, 2016, 11:15:46 AM
Quote from: dub on March 28, 2016, 10:22:53 AM
How's that commute this morning? Good thing winter is over.

:crackup
Don't mean to laugh at your pain VR but this comment cracked me up. :)

Ha! I'm in Houston for a weeks worth of Hazmat training.  Flew out yesterday.  Let it snow!

GreenMachine

It seems Vr had the last laugh.  :evil1

On the bright side, it's looking like the sprung in Spring will return by week's end.
Whoohoo, sanded roadways!  :disco
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

Quote from: Vegasrider on March 28, 2016, 02:01:53 PMHa! I'm in Houston for a weeks worth of Hazmat training.  Flew out yesterday.  Let it snow!

Jackpot.
Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

RichVee4

Quote from: dub on March 28, 2016, 11:26:24 AM
There are certain acts, such as declaring winter is over, along with taking off your snow tires, putting away your snow shovels, or turning on your sprinklers which pretty much guarantee you will see one more good snow.

Very true.   I could add, setting up a swimming pool in April.  Of course it snowed the next weekend.
Live long and prosper \V/

GreenMachine

Re: Winter is finally over here

Quote from: Sub-Sonic on March 03, 2016, 06:53:09 PM
Great weekend for riding.

This:

Gonna be doing this soon.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Vegasrider

I really need to get an Enduro and put studs on the tires.  Taking the bus to work for the 3rd day in a row!  Left the Atlantis Tuesday night after donating blood and it was freaking pouring.  I wasn't too worried about the rain, I had all my rain gear on but the visibility through the shield was shitty and I was worried that I was going to sink my Duc into one of those gigantic pot holes on the freeway.  Impossible to see them in the dark and in the pouring rain, since the potholes are filled with water so it looks like one smooth surface.  But the Duc loves the rain, and my Pilot Road 4's performs very well in the rain. 

I'm actually going to attempt a ride up to Tahoe this weekend.  Maybe at least to the top of Mt. Rose Summit, Going to try to get some historic snowfall photos with my bike.

GreenMachine

Absolutely not worth the risk.  Who are you going to call if you go down?  Assuming you're still able to call for help.  Ice and other idiots going in the other direction, douching your beautiful bike with slush.  Screw that!  If you need pics, take I-80 to 267.  You might have better luck daring fate on that road.  At least it has far fewer shadowy curves.

Don't want to lose a fellow rider to such foolishness, IMO.  I still want to borrow your action camera, remember?

RichVee4

Doubt you would make Mt Rose hwy for the next few days and any secondary roads forget it.  You wouldnt even be able to get around my neighborhood in NW Reno at 5000'.  Waiting until Monday after the sun has melted off the roads some would be your best gamble.   I am going up to Tahoe Sat but driving a large 4x4 so will have a better idea of road conditions.

Vegasrider

I-80 was dry this afternoon, only time it got slushy or slick was on the freeway exits/on ramps or around commercial services.  Since I essentially live near the T/A truck stop, I asked one of the drivers how the pass was, and they gave me the thumbs up.

Might try Mt. Rose tomorrow.

Sub-Sonic

Quote from: GreenMachine on January 12, 2017, 08:04:54 PM
Re: Winter is finally over here

Quote from: Sub-Sonic on March 03, 2016, 06:53:09 PM
Great weekend for riding.

This:

Gonna be doing this soon.

Mammoth or Mt. Rose?

I went to Oregon this year for a week of sledding.  Not as good as Idaho.

P.s. I rode my 2 wheeler today, was in the mid 30's

RichVee4

Drove over Rose today and saw a total of 0 motorcycles.   Ice on road starting at Galena, which is the bottom.  Nice getting up to out of the cloud cover and seeing the blue sky. 

Caught a nice sunrise pic from Diamond Peak web came this morning.  The slopes are the place to be.

GreenMachine

SS, Mammoth.  Had a great time.  Very few people out at all, probably due to extreme conditions, but for us it was terrific!  I did get stuck twice early on, but once conditioned to weighting the sled and after watching Slednecks 11 & 15, no more problems turning.  Although I did hit a buried log that I couldn't see and got knocked off, but the snow was dry and powdery.   I'll post pics later.  Too tired ATM.

I bet if you were to hit up any of the western states now, you'll be impressed by the conditions.

RichVee4

GreenMachine

:crazy

I watched that last night.  That is one crazy rider.  Reminds me of SL.