Main Menu

Wonderings about the KZ 900

Started by cobra23, October 05, 2008, 08:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cobra23

Tail light on and working. Brake light in the LED tail light does not work.

Everything that should be easy is a struggle. I will walk the light into Lockhart Phillips, thay will probably say "its an electronic part..no return"

The Dyna ignition was same story it took 4 weeks of trying everything, before I got a new unit from them. I even talked to the ignition guy (at the SEMA show)... this bike better run good for ten years, or I will personally cover it in gasoline, and light it on fire.

cobra23

Got the brake light working. I have no idea what kind of spell the gremlins put on it, but it just started working.

The lighting is done on the rear half, now to the headlight.

http://www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/274097-1975-kz-900-zrx-swingarm-89-gsxr-front-end?start=820

cobra23

Soldered up all the lighting on the rear end, all buttoned up.

Now starting on the headlight, and gages, front turn signals.

Gages: Cut the ignition switch boss off the Gixxer top clamp, then roughed out a plate to support the gages, using two threaded bosses already on the underside of the top clamp.

Speedo cable too short ordered another longer one from a Suzuki Bandit 1200.

Tach cable, the oil cooler will cause interference, so the oil cooler needs to move up one inch. This means longer braided oil lines...i.e. many many more the work.

dub

Saw this on FB, reminded me Ted's build never ending KZ build.

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019

dub

You started this thread in October of 2008, almost 6 years ago. In the OP you said you had been working on it for a few years. So that makes you about 9 years into this build now? That's some dedication right there. Slow and steady.

cobra23

Eleven years to be exact.

As an example, I could have finished it this weekend, but Cobra capital is limited, and Mrs. Cobra wanted to build a pation table..... lost KZ revenue right there, and time too.

cobra23

Quote from: dub on August 01, 2014, 03:09:36 PM
Saw this on FB, reminded me Ted's build never ending KZ build.

I like this humor. Yes understood. Yes. I refuse to give up.

The bike is a bunch of mechanical parts, and besides the tires and battery has an infinite shelf life. I will have it done SOON.

cobra23

Got the gages mounted tonight..or ahhh very early this morning depending on your point of view, its almost 0300.

Headlight is next, followed by getting the Ohlins shocks rebuilt. Anyone know who in Reno might be able to do this rebuild?

Looks like it will be another 5 weeks before I can purchase anything else, the car needs tire, that cost almost 1k. Stupid cars.

GreenMachine

Has it been taken to PJ's yet.  It's sure to win 'best in show' there.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

dub

Why do the shocks need to be rebuilt? It's only been ridden up and down the street.

cobra23

I would have to trailer it to PJ's but that is tempting. It is sitting on a 9/16 long pattern Snap On wrench right now, instead of a rear shock(s). This is to simulate the rear shock bottomed out for some travel checks, chain tension etc. Funny though, I was cussing my daughter thinking she used and lost my wrench, when my good neighbor Fred piped up .."isn't that the wrench holding your bike up?"..insert foot. My wife was not too happy about that.

The rear shocks: they were purchased on e-bay, and must have been sprung for a Harley, there is like 1mm sag when I sit on the bike in the rear. They need lighter springs, and leak fluid.

I had to purchase a set of expensive ties for the Family cage today, a months worth of Motorcycle budget on four tires for the car... it will be 4 more weeks before I can rebuild the shocks, and purchase headlight brackets. the brackets I like are 200 a pair.

GreenMachine

I think you need to call in reinforcements in the way of a 3D printer.
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

cobra23

Who in Reno can drain the Nitrogen out of the Ohlins shocks, replace one o-ring, refill with oil and recharge the shock with nitrogen?

hey can probably get me the right spring as well.

cobra23

While building the KZ I have been helping a friend with his GSXR 750....

That bike is now done and back in California with the buddy who brought it here about 2 years ago.

cobra23

Delivered the Gixxer a couple weeks ago. Its all done. the day m neighbor picked up the bike we took a look at an 83 GS750E. These bikes were supercool in their day, and when I was in my twenties, I wanted one real bad.

Ahh so neighbor (known only as S2) texts me to say "call Adam so you can pick up your new bike".

Hmm seems S2 liked the gixxer so much he decided to buy this GS for me as a gift...