Main Menu

Wonderings about the KZ 900

Started by cobra23, October 05, 2008, 08:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cobra23

cobra23

This is the second major KZ rebuild, the first was the ELR...

cobra23

Toda is my 23d Wedding anniversary.

My lovely wife gave me the day to get the KZ up and running, it was a gift from her. normally there are many things to do around the house on weekends we are not riding off road, on the street or at the track. It was a gift from her to me, she even sat with me while I installed the new carbs, and synched them.

I RODE IT !!! IT RUNS PERFECT !!!!!!
Then it blew the main fuse. Oh well I got about 15 minutes of testing and joy out of it. Now it is time to put the lighting on. I will be checking for a bare wire somewhere. It is also possible that the main fuse should be heavier, I need to look into that as well.

cobra23

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!

GreenMachine

It's alive!!!

Isn't that a great feeling?
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

cobra23

Oh what a feeling...

Now ..more work.

dr1150

Congratulations my friend. The long and tedious riggers of a rebuilt finally have come to an end. Be safe and ride like its your last day.
"You start the game of life with a full pot o' luck and an empty pot
o' experience... The object is to fill the pot of experience before you
empty the pot of luck."

cobra23

Rode again last Sunday, the headlight and taillight wire are all just hanging, along with the ignition switch. We I get the nerve up to really gas it something is getting shoved into bare metal. blown fuse again.

I have a very god friend who speaks this strange alien language of electrical, and a head light is ordered. I will hook these things up and find the bare wire hitting metal.

The Ohilins shocks need to be re-sprung an rebuilt, this will cost 500 dollars..... arrrrghhhh. So much the money !!

GreenMachine

She certainly looks great and starts easily. 

Are you riding her over to the coast for WSBK in July?   :|)
It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

cobra23

thank you.

There is so much more to do to get it street ready, I don't see a long ride yet in the near future. I work about 50 hours a week so it is hard to get things done. Slowly but surely.

Working n the wiring right now, I have almost all of the wires identified and ready to hook into the lighting.

Then Gages are needed.
Shocks rebuilt
install a horn... ;D
build a bracket to hold the taillight and headlight.

on and on.

cobra23

Well I have spent the last couple weeks getting the wiring figured out. Labeling all the connections, and getting ready for the lighting. Went to Lockhart Phillips today and picked up the turn signals, and taillight stuff.

The turn signals would not work. I thought I would check everything all over again and after 4 hours of checking and rechecking the connections, I took the brand new handlebar switch apart and found a broken wire. I had to re-solder it, so now the lighting is all set. just need to assemble it and make a couple brackets.

Wiring is not fun, especially if has been ten years since you took it apart. I am so proud of figuring out the turn signal debacle, here is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGSmS-dz2cg

cobra23

Well that video was "swell"  ;D

Believe me those three blinks represent a whole bunch of the workee... workee !!

Think about all that when you are wondering why this is taking so long. Got to hit the sack, back to my regular job in about 6 hours.

OH BOY !!

dub

Thanks to Sidi|Motion Pro|Vortex|Carters|Shoei for the support in 2019