Main Menu

Roundabouts

Started by Alumitanium, October 09, 2010, 07:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alumitanium

has anybody thought about practicing turn control on these? It crossed my mind a few weeks ago and figured since i need to break in my new front tire, that i'd try it. I'm not as smooth and consistant on slow turn control as i'd like.

I figure, if you run through it enough times, keeping the bike at a steady consistant angle and spped won't be so tricky, then naturally the speed for that and long of a turn is more second nature.

any thoughts? anybody try it before?
The FASTEST rider in "D" group!!!

GreenMachine

Just be careful with traffic.  MCN did a video for doing just that.  Check it out.

It's about taking in the most corners to your destination, not about the shortest, quickest route.

Alumitanium

yeah, the 1st thing i realized is that it wont give me consistent right hand practice. there's a number of roundabouts all through town, i'm not familiar with S reno, but on some back streets past summerset, there's some seldom used ones.
The FASTEST rider in "D" group!!!

Scott

you might be better off taking a few road cones or some chalk to an unused parking lot. that way you can practice right and left hand leans without the issue of traffic.
GSX-R600

wills

Go to a parking lot and practice, it's much safer and you can practice figure 8's, short and large radius turns. You should be able to turn around in a radius that locks your handlebars, with practice.
Stop Global Whining!
2015 1200RS
2018 H2 SE
Old Sprint Back East

A DRAGON

Quote from: wills on October 11, 2010, 06:39:57 PM
Go to a parking lot and practice, it's much safer and you can practice figure 8's, short and large radius turns. You should be able to turn around in a radius that locks your handlebars, with practice.

Nice advice Willis.  I like that idea better.   :picspics
In Garage:
ZX9R
Aprillia RSV 1000
SV-650
GSXR-750

cobra23

Ohh Ohhhhh!!

1985...Lamonts parking lot...East Wenatchee, Washington. Riding the 1982 Yamaha 650 Seca, new Metzler super sticky front tire, drill front rotors, DOT 5 brake fluid, and Russell Stainless steel braided lines.

Cobra23..starts to experiment with "washing the front end" (on purpose). Skritchy pavement it's 7am.

Figure 8's are great, start with a small one 15 mph, and work your way up to a big one 40mph over and over....good stuff!!!

Add throttle, add front brake simotainously, until the front end starts to chatter....wooo hooo!! Be careful there with the chatter business, cause in about a milisecond it turns to a wash, and ou got about another milisecond to pick the bike up vertical, remove the brake, and save it.

I did the excersise for each morning about 15 minutes, every day for a week. Read it n a magazine. You know Kieth Code was just a So. Cal racer back then, I think he wrote the article, then started some kind of school....yea he is the guru now.

Just don't get busted by the bald overweight Lamonts manager...LOL!!!

"Hey What are you doin this ain't no racetrack!!!"